Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 02:00 AM

2 posts, read 33,109 times

Advertisements

Airplane from new york to montreal is pretty high cost. Amtrak I see its $65 only but theres only one trip a day and it departs at 8:15am and arrives at 7:06pm. Has anyone who taken the amtrak can tell me how long it took all together? Surely it takes longer than 11 hours and thus 7:06pm is incorrect? I also read that if you take amtrak, customs would check every single person inside the train for 1 hour plus? So that would mean even though arrival at montreal is 7:06pm, then one doesn't really get out of the airport till 8:30pm? How early would you need to be at penn station to check in? I assume you have to get there 30 minutes early just to be safe? Is that train ever full?

I did read that the only good thing about amtrak is the ride is beautiful. Can someone who took it can give their experience?

Also,

Has anyone taken a bus recently from nyc to montreal? I see the bus that goes is trailwaysny. Its $86.50 and the ride is about 8 hours which is 3 hour less than the train. But is it accurate? How long does the border crossing take? I think it would be shorter than a train? Also i see they have a lot of buses that go daily. Such as they have one at 12:01am that leaves and gets to montreal at 7:55am. Then you have ones in the morning like at 9:00am and get there at 5:05pm. Can someone tell me how the bus trip feel? I read some ppl say it suck because its many hours and you can't really move around because its a bus unlike the train. So a 5:05pm arrival time mean you are probably done with border patrol crossing by 6:30pm?

Another question I have is how early do you need to be there to get a seat? For example if you want to take the 9:00am bus, does that mean you need to get there at 8:00AM? I know penn station always have a very long line for many buses. Thus if you are on the long line and then no more space, you basically wait for the next one available right? I'm wondering for the earliest bus at 8:00am, how early do people wait in line? What time arrival would be safe where you don't have to worry about not getting in and having to take 9:00am bus etc.

Does anyone know which time slot generally has the least amount of people?

And would you recommend bus or amtrak if only these two options? I read reviews from people but those reviews were very old ones. Would like to know if anyone took it recently and can give opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 02:48 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,237,867 times
The customs check is at the Canadian border. It can indeed take an hour--or more, if they're in a bad mood. The trains are also slow because, thanks to our pro-car transportation system, the passenger trains are forced to share infrastructure with freight trains. The trains fill up sometimes, but it's not really a problem since you have a guaranteed space via your ticket and the seats are very roomy. It's a good way to relax and get a lot of reading done.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:10 AM

756 posts, read 2,279,278 times
You do, indeed, arrive around 7 p.m. If customs is slow, that can be a little later. The check, as high iron said, is at the Canadian border, south of Montreal.

Why are you shocked at the 7 p.m. arrival time? It only takes about 6 hours to drive there in a car, so when you factor in the speed of the train and the stops, 7 is about right. We were held up at customs because of two dumb girls, so I think we got in closer to 7:30 p.m.

Buy your tickets in advance, but it's very casual once you get to Penn. You can get there 15 minutes before, or less.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:02 PM

80 posts, read 308,303 times
I've taken the trailways bus to MTL (it is really a code share with Greyhound - so you might be riding a Greyhound or Trailways bus). I think it usually stops in Albany briefly and then on to the border. I took an overnight bus so customs was very fast - it can be much slower. I think the bus is probably the best since you can pick from multiple departure/arrival times. Barring horrible traffic or customs delays it should be faster (but much less scenic) than Amtrak.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:53 PM

1,145 posts, read 3,000,213 times
Fly to Burlington, rent a car and drive the 90 minutes. There are even a couple of ways to cross the border if the main route has a wait.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:39 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
My kid recently took the train back from Montreal to NY and liked the trip a lot. It doesn't sound like the customs inspection was too bad. The passengers were herded into one area while the dogs went about sniffing the bags.

Old 08-25-2013, 05:34 PM

756 posts, read 2,279,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
My kid recently took the train back from Montreal to NY and liked the trip a lot. It doesn't sound like the customs inspection was too bad. The passengers were herded into one area while the dogs went about sniffing the bags.
Weird, we didn't have to get off the train at all and there were definitely no dogs. That doesn't sound normal.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:09 PM

912 posts, read 2,099,472 times
Take the bus

Old 08-25-2013, 07:19 PM

721 posts, read 1,566,815 times
The bus is slightly better than the train, but I used to always take the overnight bus so it would be express. Not as many stops. Train is more comfortable but only leaves once a day. If there is any holdup with Amtrak you are sitting there forever on the track. That happened to me and they sent buses to get us and that took forever.

Bus has more departures but some buses make multiple stops. Customs is a crapshoot. You never know how it will go. Once we had a stowaway on the bus. We sat at the border FOREVER.

I went to school in Montreal so I have made the trip many, many times.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:06 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,062 times
Adirondack Trains Travel from New York City to Montreal, through the Lush Wine Country of the Hudson Valley | Amtrak
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adirondack_(train)
If they ever institute the proposed pre-clear of customs in Montreal & skip the Saint-Lambert & Rousses Point stops, the journey south will have no border delays.
Although, there can be other problems:
Three in hospital after Amtrak train hits farm tractor near Lacolle, Que. - Montreal - CBC News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City