Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2013, 05:25 AM

6 posts, read 6,415 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I'm attending Baruch College this Fall and moving out of my guardian's house. I currently live in Bensonhurst which I think is a safe neighborhood but the commute can be a pain in the butt sometimes. I want to rent a room in a safe, clean and decent neighborhood that's close to my college campus. My monthly budget's up to $1,000, and I have to move out by the 12th next month as my guardian's family leaving the town for a week and they don't really want me to stay at their house alone.

I'm currently looking into somewhere in Park Slope, Carroll Gardens, or Cobble Hill. I've also visited the latter two and found them quite cozy and decent, although they're pretty close to Red Hook where it's not so good and has many projects. Well.. I only went there for Ikea. I've also read a couple posts saying that Astoria and Bay Ridge would also be great choices, but I'm just not sure if either one's safe for an Asian to live in.

Also, since my schedule's tight and my college's starting on the 28th, is there a fast way for a first-time room hunter to find a room and secure it down? I've emailed a couple of people on Craigslist and none has responded so far. I won't have any credits or guarantors so any room with credit check required won't work with me. I will really appreciate the help guys.

Last edited by GrandchildDavid; 08-25-2013 at 05:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 09:18 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Does Baruch have a housing office, or offer an online bulletin board for people to connect as roommates? This is where you should probably start. If you are emailing people on craigslist and telling them you are a freshman at college, this may be why you get no response. Most leaseholders/people advertising for roommates are likely going to be older people (even a few years older) who are professionals and not interested in living with a college freshman. That's just a guess. Also you have to remember that some of the more desirable locations like the ones you mentioned the ads may get a tremendous response and the reason you're not getting a reply is because they already got 50 emails that morning.

I am not sure what advantage Bay Ridge would have over Bensonhurst. They are both pretty far from Baruch. But both Astoria and Bay Ridge would be completely fine for Asians as far as I know.

Elmhurst in Queens has a large Asian population if you're interested in being among other Asians. Also the rents are much cheaper than the neighborhoods you mentioned in Brooklyn. Baruch is not a bad trip from Elmhurst, as it is served by the R/M line in many areas. Probably about 30-40 commute.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:29 AM

6 posts, read 6,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Does Baruch have a housing office, or offer an online bulletin board for people to connect as roommates? This is where you should probably start. If you are emailing people on craigslist and telling them you are a freshman at college, this may be why you get no response. Most leaseholders/people advertising for roommates are likely going to be older people (even a few years older) who are professionals and not interested in living with a college freshman. That's just a guess. Also you have to remember that some of the more desirable locations like the ones you mentioned the ads may get a tremendous response and the reason you're not getting a reply is because they already got 50 emails that morning.

I am not sure what advantage Bay Ridge would have over Bensonhurst. They are both pretty far from Baruch. But both Astoria and Bay Ridge would be completely fine for Asians as far as I know.

Elmhurst in Queens has a large Asian population if you're interested in being among other Asians. Also the rents are much cheaper than the neighborhoods you mentioned in Brooklyn. Baruch is not a bad trip from Elmhurst, as it is served by the R/M line in many areas. Probably about 30-40 commute.
Thanks. Are there any other closer choices?

Old 08-25-2013, 10:41 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandchildDavid View Post
Maybe Williamsburg, but you would still need to take the L and transfer to the 6 train at Union Square. Also, $1000 is on the low side even for just a room in prime Williamsburg.

I would say anywhere you look in either Queens or Brooklyn is going to be a 30+ minute commute to Baruch. I don't think that 30-40 minutes is unreasonable. Unless you have the big bucks to live in Manhattan, that's the kind of commute you are looking at.

Perhaps you could look into Upper East Side. It tends to be cheaper than other parts of Manhattan and would be convenient for you since Baruch is on the 6 train. I don't know enough about rents in that area to know if $1000 would get you a room there.

You can use google maps directions (the click on the train icon) for transit directions and commute times. Also MTA has its own trip planner as well.

Old 08-25-2013, 03:10 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandchildDavid View Post

But, as Henna rightly said, start by contacting the school.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:39 PM

273 posts, read 672,886 times
Agree start with the school as they may have housing options right in Manhattan.

Kips Bay/Little Korea
As you will room with others I wonder if you could find a share in Kips Bay area which is the area around Bellevue Hospital and in which your school is near or in. A little noisy in some parts due to the hospital and traffic to Queens Midtown tunnel but safe. I think the exact borders are 23rd to 34th Streets, FDR Drive and west to Park Ave South. It would probably be a roommate situation where you might have 2 - 3 other roommates though. I would advise this if you want to be as close as possible to school. One advantage is you might get a better chance of rooming with a medical intern(s) at Bellevue or Baruch. Little Korea is a tiny neighborhood of Herald Square 34th Street east of 6th Ave in the 30ths. Might work if you get a few roommates.

Elmhurst, Queens
Elmhurst has a mix of Latino, South Asian and Asian. The area south of Elmhurst Hospital and Broadway to Queens Blvd is nice and calm with Jackson Heights not far and on Broadway (sorry for being so vague) I believe mostly Chinese with a few Korean grocers and shops mixed with Latino restaurants. Jackson Heights offers South Asian, Central and South American food, Tibetan food and the 7 brings you to Flushing with its Korean and Chinese mix (plus it has the feel of Hong Kong with its Jumbotron ads and a few chic little bubble tea, karaoke places and new mall). The area is served by the 74th Street 7 express and 82nd Street local near it northern border and Grand Street and Elmhurst Ave on M and R which is closer to the Queens Blvd area of Elmhurst. Commute to Baruch about 40 minutes (maybe less if you catch an express train easily). There is an express bus I believe on Queens Blvd as well as Roosevelt going into Manhattan.

Astoria into northern LIC (aka Dutch Kills), Queens
Possible. There is a Japanese student community here - Family Market on Broadway west of the N and Q serves as a shop offering all things Japanese and a community center. There are a few new sushi places opening with some long standing ones on Broadway (centering around 31st Street with a very good one all the way down near the 39th Street station). Judging from quite a few Korean Christian churches in Astoria and a massive one over in Sunnyside Yards, there might be a small Korean community here. Basic rule of thumb is with the exception of the areas right on Astoria Park and some areas right above Northern Blvd (36th Street stop M and R) rents will be cheaper the further you are from the subway AND if the apartment is not one of the new condos/apartments sprouting up. The NYC crime safety map I would say is pretty accurate with only a few blocks west of 21st Street or south of 36th Ave between Steinway to about 30th Street down to Northern looking a bit run down and once in awhile having a crime hot spot. The only area you would not like is the area immediately north of Queensbridge Houses- has gotten much safer but a bit desolate at night and there is some crime activity at night.

Last edited by astroia 34567; 08-25-2013 at 04:59 PM..

Old 09-06-2013, 11:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,201 times
I totally agree with astroia 34567 !! I have live in sunny side, woodside, corona, all close to the 7 subway. It is a mixed of both latino and asian community but I would say these are safer neighborhoods. The trains are always packed until the wee hours of the morning as these areas are being rented by the working class. Unless you like it like chinatown where there is a heavy chinese community, then flushing will be good for you although there is also a project there and even in woodside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City