Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 09:25 AM

2 posts, read 2,379 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys,

Thanks in advance for your advice/tips. My girlfriend and I are looking into moving to NY this summer. We are both in the architecture field, I have been working for the past year while she is finishing up her masters. We are currently living in the mid west, looking to make the move to NY. It feels like the best time in our life's to do it with no major obligations/things holding us back.

The plan is to air-bnb it for a few weeks once we move to give us time to find a place, or to find a sublet for the summer. We were hoping we could get your input on cool areas to call home. We should each be making 50-60 a year before taxes. We feel comfortable paying up to +/-2000 a month in rent, being fine with a studio/small 1 br. We are currently applying for jobs and they seem to be in lower Manhattan area. We value a cool location, that is close to work, architecture, and running paths, totally fine giving up space. I have been looking around central park and the west side of Manhattan. We are less familiar with the other boroughs but open to those as well.

Second question, I have been applying and getting positive feedback with interview requests but as soon as people find out I am not in NY currently, the line goes blank. Getting requests to re-connect once the move has been made. Is this common? I do not expect help with moving costs, and am willing to fly over for the interview. This brings us to the dreaded moving without jobs option.

Thanks Guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2016, 12:42 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young-Architect View Post
Hey Guys,

Thanks in advance for your advice/tips. My girlfriend and I are looking into moving to NY this summer. We are both in the architecture field, I have been working for the past year while she is finishing up her masters. We are currently living in the mid west, looking to make the move to NY. It feels like the best time in our life's to do it with no major obligations/things holding us back.

The plan is to air-bnb it for a few weeks once we move to give us time to find a place, or to find a sublet for the summer. We were hoping we could get your input on cool areas to call home. We should each be making 50-60 a year before taxes. We feel comfortable paying up to +/-2000 a month in rent, being fine with a studio/small 1 br. We are currently applying for jobs and they seem to be in lower Manhattan area. We value a cool location, that is close to work, architecture, and running paths, totally fine giving up space. I have been looking around central park and the west side of Manhattan. We are less familiar with the other boroughs but open to those as well.

Second question, I have been applying and getting positive feedback with interview requests but as soon as people find out I am not in NY currently, the line goes blank. Getting requests to re-connect once the move has been made. Is this common? I do not expect help with moving costs, and am willing to fly over for the interview. This brings us to the dreaded moving without jobs option.

Thanks Guys!
In Manhattan, $2k/month does not go that far -- a studio in an upscale building in a desirable locale can cost more than double that amount.

Why do desire to live here?

I wouldn't recommend moving here without a job lined up. Even if you both had offers here, $100-120K/annum gross is not that much. Your income would go much farther in other places than it will here. I've been here a little over 6 months and, while there are some benefits (dining/social/nice architecture/no car needed), do not think they come even close to making up for the drawbacks (COL/tax burden/filth/crowds).

NYC is fun for a vacation but, once you're here everyday, it's a different perspective. If you could obtain experience here that is hard to match elsewhere (and would help you obtain exceptional opportunities moving forward), it's worth considering. I'd consider moving here for professional reasons but would advise against it otherwise.

It is common for companies to prefer local candidates. The reason is that people already in a given area (or with ties to that area) are much more likely to stay in that area (and with the company) than people who make the move just for the job. I don't think the reluctance is based on unwillingness to reimburse your travel for an interview or offer a relocation assistance package (most jobs at the pay range you mention wouldn't do this anyway). I'd imagine it's more for longevity.

If you can gain exceptional experience, then consider making the move. Otherwise, I think it's best not to move here and you could end up frustrated (like me).

Old 05-08-2016, 02:08 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
My impression is that it's always difficult to find a job long-distance, unless you're truly exceptional. You should be flattered that he invite you to re-connect. Try arranging a trip where you can do more than one interview at a time. I'd be cautious about AirB&B; a summer sublet is probably a better idea.

But why do people ask for a "cool" neighborhood? This keeps baffling me, as if everyone is obsessed with the superficial trappings of a neighborhood. I've looked for convenient neighborhoods, or safe ones, or cheap ones - but "cool" seems silly to me. And even sillier considering you're not budgeting much for rent.

Old 05-08-2016, 02:12 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
$2,000 rent doesnt go far in NYC

Old 05-08-2016, 03:07 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Hey Guys,

Thanks Guys!
Look at Fort Greene and Prospect Park in Brooklyn. The issue might be rent prices, though. I'm a bit out of touch with exactly what rents have skyrocketed to, so a $2000 budge might be too low. In any case, since you place to be in an airbnb for a few weeks you should have time to explore. If you can afford it, it sounds like you would like the hipper parts of Brooklyn (like the ones I mentioned and several others) but if you can't, you could try Astoria, Queens, which still has plenty of places to go out and good transportation, and a young demographic in the areas where the restaurants and bars are.

Old 05-08-2016, 03:47 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
$2,000 rent doesnt go far in NYC
It certainly does if you're fine with a 1BR outside of prime neighborhoods

Old 05-08-2016, 05:41 PM

2 posts, read 2,379 times
Thanks for the insight. Our main reasons for wanting to move is professional growth, the type of experience we could gain here would be hard to find elsewhere. The type of projects we could work on also would be a lot of fun. Plus working in architecture, there is no other city in the US that comes close to the prime examples of the built environment.

As for "cool" your totally right. I think we value/want convenient, safe, cheap more then night life, bars, food hot spots.

What would be a more realistic budget for us? I have been doing some apartment research on craigslist and naked apartments coming across studios in the 1800 to 2000 range. Assuming the too good to be true ones being scams.

Old 05-08-2016, 05:42 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
It certainly does if you're fine with a 1BR outside of prime neighborhoods
Small Bedroom studio in Crown Heights, Flatbush, East Harlem, Washington Heights, Brighton Beach, Pelham Parkway

Close to NYC: Downtown Jersey City, New Rochelle

Old 05-08-2016, 06:35 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Thanks for the insight. Our main reasons for wanting to move is professional growth, the type of experience we could gain here would be hard to find elsewhere. The type of projects we could work on also would be a lot of fun. Plus working in architecture, there is no other city in the US that comes close to the prime examples of the built environment.

As for "cool" your totally right. I think we value/want convenient, safe, cheap more then night life, bars, food hot spots.

What would be a more realistic budget for us? I have been doing some apartment research on craigslist and naked apartments coming across studios in the 1800 to 2000 range. Assuming the too good to be true ones being scams.
The 40x rule says you'd qualify for a $2500 apartment if you're collectively making $100K (40x requirement is one the is followed by many landlords in NYC). You can google 40x rent rule nyc for more info.

That said, some are not comfortable paying that high a percentage of their income for rent.

Have you checked the Upper East Side? Usually the rents there are cheaper than many other prime Manhattan neighborhoods.

Old 05-08-2016, 06:36 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Small Bedroom studio in Crown Heights, Flatbush, East Harlem, Washington Heights, Brighton Beach, Pelham Parkway

Close to NYC: Downtown Jersey City, New Rochelle
I'm almost certain there are quite a few places in NYC where 2000 can get you a 1BR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City