Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 01:06 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,990,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Tell you what. When the tax base in a city shrivels the middle class flee right a way because they will certainly not live in a filthy city with no cops. The poor will stay as they have no choice. But you bet the poor of Trenton wish that they could leave.

yes we do have an issue with affordability and poor schools in NYC. But how does encouraging the rich to STAY IN NYC,k but to shift their income to other states help anybody.

Like it or not jobs are created when people invest and neither poor nor middle class people have the disposable income or wealth to do this to the scale taht qcity with 8.4 million people needs.

Get this through your head. This is 2013. The rich do not have to move to avoid high NYC/NYS taxes. All they need do is shift their income elsewhere. A simple key stroke, and the setting up of offices in other states and the purchase of real estate used to establish residency.
Poor people who leave and move to other places. How did NYC gets its poor in the first place? For centuries poor people came here because they could get work here. In the 20th century, a number of poor people came to NYC to get welfare.

I have personally known poor and homeless people who PANHANDLED until they got enough money to get a greyhound bus ticket to leave town. Moving from one place to another is that simple, and there are a number of poor people who do indeed do that. Its made easier if you have friends and relatives who can temporarily host you elsewhere. And many poor people do.

For those who don't, plenty of poor people have figured out ways to scrape up cash in order to rent rooms wherever they wanted to go.

And if wealthy people want to establish residency in other locations to avoid paying NYS taxes, then that is their right. Again, who cares?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Hmmmm. Governor Patterson told the hedge fund guys to pay more taxes. The DEMOCRATIC governor of CT told them to come over to Greenwich. NYS promptly canceled that demand. They know that the folks will stay in Park Ave penthouses but their expensive lawyers and CPAs will show that their income is generated in CT.
FINE. A lot of them already had homes in CT anyway.

Whatever!

Old 09-13-2013, 01:08 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,545,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
There are still a lot of people on Section 8. It exists. There are other housing subsidies and other housing programs out there. NYCHA, HRA rental assistance, LAMP, etc.

A lot of low end drug dealers do have their rent paid for by the government . Now they may well weed to buy the consumer items they need, as their welfare alone isn't enough to buy a flat screen tv.

I understand why DSNY is upset. The bottom line is he works to support himself, and he is unhappy seeing people who get everything paid for free. There is a lot of that around.
No new applicants for Section 8 and the other housing subsidies are also strapped. DSNY was screaming about flatscreen TVs. If his friends stopped buying weed no TVs. Because cash welfare is almost impossible to get if a single male.

The bottom line is screaming at the rich doesnt solve your problems and indeed the ultra left liberal programs advocated by people like de Blasio guarantee that the leaches remain. Look at Camden. Packed with them after all others left.

de Blasio will pander to the poverticians who easrn a living from programs aimed at the leaches. But otherwise it will pretty much be status quo. Even now he is rushing up to cozy to the rich quietly as it is being done.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
No new applicants for Section 8 and the other housing subsidies are also strapped. DSNY was screaming about flatscreen TVs. If his friends stopped buying weed no TVs. Because cash welfare is almost impossible to get if a single male.

The bottom line is screaming at the rich doesnt solve your problems and indeed the ultra left liberal programs advocated by people like de Blasio guarantee that the leaches remain. Look at Camden. Packed with them after all others left.

de Blasio will pander to the poverticians who easrn a living from programs aimed at the leaches. But otherwise it will pretty much be status quo. Even now he is rushing up to cozy to the rich quietly as it is being done.
So then if its status quo, everything remains the same. And its not entirely true no new applicants for Section 8. If one can get into NYCHA, its still possible to get Section 8. Depending on what priority NYCHA gave you, you might have to wait for 10 years to get a NYCHA apartment (and then get a subsidy for it). But it is still possible.

What ultra liberal programs did de Blasio advocate? Funding for pre school? How is that ultra liberal?

He won the democratic primary because quite frankly, there are and always will be more poor/working class voters than rich voters. You cannot expect to win campaigning to the rich.

Giuliani, in his own way, one campaigning to poor people who were afraid of crime. Bloomberg rode on Giuliani's coattails and in all three elections, got Giulani's endorsement.

But 12 years of Bloomberg has made it impossible for another businessman or a Republican to be the next mayor. People are TIRED of the Bloomberg years.

But back to the welfare programs, Bloomberg made no serious effort to eliminate them because his slum lord real estate buddies make a lot of money off them, especially the SROs.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
FINE. A lot of them already had homes in CT anyway.

Whatever!

Good. So now rather than paying NYS/NYC tax they will pay CT tax. And guess who de Blasio will then come by to fill the gap which he will have to, in order to fund all of those poverty programs and the huge drop in revenues. YOU! If you rent your landlord will pay more taxes and will then charge you more. Sales taxes hiked, Fees increased, and it goes on.

If de Blasio didnt pander to people like you by screaming at the rich, but told them that a better educated labor force will be of huge benefit to them, and that he is asking them to pay a little more for a period with funds 100% dedicate dto pre school he would be more successful.

Do you really think that those policticans in Albany (funded by financial and real estate interests) will agree with him when they need to fund their 2014 campaign?

NYC has a huge income disparity because our employment base comprises of some of the best paid jobs in the country...financial services... and some of teh worst... restaurants, and hotels. We have lost many of the middle class jobs, even back office positions, to NJ, FL, and elsewhere. Yes some of the very jobs that some folks here might need.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Good. So now rather than paying NYS/NYC tax they will pay CT tax. And guess who de Blasio will then come by to fill the gap which he will have to, in order to fund all of those poverty programs and the huge drop in revenues. YOU! If you rent your landlord will pay more taxes and will then charge you more. Sales taxes hiked, Fees increased, and it goes on.
Then it gets to the point where people cannot afford it and it collapses. To which I say fine, let it all collapse, it will wash the rottenness out of the system. I have no interest in preserving the status quo. So believe me if wealthy people become CT or NJ residents and pay taxes there, FINE.

I do not care. I have lived in other places besides NYC in the past and I will again in the future.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:42 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,032,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNY...DirtyStayOut View Post
Amen brother. The poor here don't know what poor is. Flat screen tv's, cell phones, computers etc. plus welfare, food credit, housing, any number of programs. Honestly, like you I'm sick of seeing my check raped every week. I couldnt care less about them

LMAO!!

Even if the government banned welfare, foodstamps, disability and all manner of "entitlements" as people like you call them, your check would still get "raped" every week.

As a matter of fact, it would get GANG BANGED until it couldn't take anymore.

Then who would you blame for you check getting "raped every week"?

Certainly not the "no good poor", since they're not getting any help and have been shipped off to the FEMA camps to be disposed of.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Then it gets to the point where people cannot afford it and it collapses. To which I say fine, let it all collapse, it will wash the rottenness out of the system. I have no interest in preserving the status quo. So believe me if wealthy people become CT or NJ residents and pay taxes there, FINE.

I do not care. I have lived in other places besides NYC in the past and I will again in the future.
Clearly you are a middle class boy who has never had to worry about food or shelter. If the system collapses you will too, because I dont detect that you are part of any Old Boys Club.

Believe me the rich will stay here and will continue to enjoy life and will control the powers that be, so if you wish this to hurt them you are mistaken.

Understand this. During the Great Depression when almost every one starved wealthy people lived even better than ever.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:02 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,223,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
LMAO!!

Even if the government banned welfare, foodstamps, disability and all manner of "entitlements" as people like you call them, your check would still get "raped" every week.

Certainly not the "no good poor", since they're not getting any help and have been shipped off to the FEMA camps to be disposed of.
LMAO right back. You didn't read my other post, they are part of a bigger picture, not the only cause of my taxes. And as far as you go, you are the perfect example of the bleeding heart. Reading your posts on here for awhile, it's almost scary how stupid the average person is. And sweetheart, your as average as they come. One day when your IPod gets stolen as your thrown off your Citibike by some lowlife scumbag (the ones you love so much) and the cops chase him down and your asked to press charges, I know your response. "Officer, I don't want him to get in trouble, it's not his fault, I just want to talk to him" As you yap your liberal nonsense about how he's a product of his environment, blah blah, lowlife just smiles knowing he just got over....again. Reality will set in one day sister, wake up before it happens...

Old 09-13-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
LMAO!!

The problem with these types of arguments is that many want to see things as either/or.

Yes, there are people who demonize poor people and its rough out there. Nothing wrong with getting help when you're down on your luck.

But just as not all poor people are bad, not all poor people are good. Where you concentrate together large numbers of non working poor people, you much a lot more quality of life issues, including crime. And there is definitely pretty big abuse of the system.

Regardless of what percentage of one's paycheck goes to social programs, why would a working person who struggles to pay bills be happy about drug addicts or scamsters getting indefinite free rent, free food, free medical, etc.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City