Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 08:18 AM

18 posts, read 37,642 times

Advertisements

Is there anywhere that I can access all of the apartment listings available in NYC...similar to what brokers use? It may be only available to brokers, but just wanted to check to see if anyone has a comprehensive resource.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 04:59 PM

38 posts, read 65,527 times
Streeteasy is a good resource, but, as a real estate agent myself, for the most comprehensive and current listings, I use a sight that only brokers have access to.

Old 09-29-2013, 05:47 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,093,283 times
Chrome.
What does access to such a site cost an agent or an acency?

Old 09-29-2013, 06:28 AM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Seems like OP wants a "connect." Good luck if you get one.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-29-2013, 07:16 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,238,962 times
The glen gary leads are for closers.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:44 AM

18 posts, read 37,642 times
I'm just looking for a resource where I can see what's out there without wasting the time of a broker. I'm pretty picky and it is easier to sort through the listings myself rather than having to rely on someone that doesn't really understand what I want.

It is certainly frustrating that in this day and age, with all of the information we have access to online, a comprehensive listing of apartments for rent in NYC is not part of that.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:01 AM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTraveler1983 View Post
I'm just looking for a resource where I can see what's out there without wasting the time of a broker. I'm pretty picky and it is easier to sort through the listings myself rather than having to rely on someone that doesn't really understand what I want.

It is certainly frustrating that in this day and age, with all of the information we have access to online, a comprehensive listing of apartments for rent in NYC is not part of that.
Well your options are to either get a broker (which you don't want to do), or do some legwork and find your own, that's all. Or maybe you can even answer the challenge and compose the list yourself one day.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-29-2013, 10:57 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,835,449 times
When you say 'broker' does this mean someone working with an agency, or anyone with a real estate license has access to this? How is this 'free market?'

I think real estate agencies are about as sleazy as they come. I cringe when newspapers use these people as sources when talking about the real estate market. It's like quoting a boiler room stock broker on the equity markets.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:15 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,731,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChome View Post
Streeteasy is a good resource, but, as a real estate agent myself, for the most comprehensive and current listings, I use a sight that only brokers have access to.

Is the SITE you use ListingBook?

Also, to the OP, even if you go on MLS (they have rentals listed there) or ListingBook, you would likely have to go through a broker to see the apartment.

You're honestly much better off just using a broker and paying them whatever their fee is.

Last edited by Amisi; 09-29-2013 at 12:27 PM..

Old 09-29-2013, 04:05 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,776,377 times
Anyone can make a sandwich but subway and Quiznos aren't going anywhere. Same thing with brokers.

Thankfully as an agent there's a few landlord that refuse to allow anyone into their portfolios without a broker. Also because there's just so many apts it's hard for anyone person to find it all if they don't have the tools:websites/relationships brokers have.

Also don't try to see a place with a broker and then try to rent it on your own. I know quite a few stories where tenant gets sued an has to move after 3-4months for trying to be "smart and avoi a broker" not worth it.

Yes we have ****ty reputation and I hate the aholes in my own company that play games thankfully my own personal brand is what matters most and referrals have been great. Not all of us are terrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City