Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 08:18 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,219,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
They don't want to force corporations to give another paid holiday to the hoi-polloi.
Ebenezer Scrooge expressed the sentiment best:
Ebenezer: That's a poor excuse for picking a man's pocket every 25th of December.
Are you still posting on this thread? Honestly, just die of heart failure already. Do the world a favor...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 01:21 PM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryanise View Post
Do you think the new tower is a target?
Probably, if not yet, it will be at some point in somebody's mind. I think it's being designed and constructed with that possibility in mind.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:34 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,097,722 times
Quote:

I think it's being designed and constructed with that possibility in
mind.
You mean with the detachable floors like the last ones?

Old 09-19-2013, 07:44 AM

259 posts, read 369,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryanise
Do you think the new tower is a target?
Probably, if not yet, it will be at some point in somebody's mind. I think it's being designed and constructed with that possibility in mind.
That certainly has crossed my mind. People have tried to knock down buildings at this site at least twice. On the one hand, I can understand rebuilding something bigger there in defiance, but who wants to tempt a third attempt?

Old 09-19-2013, 08:27 AM

706 posts, read 1,042,635 times
i doubt the new tower is a target. i feel like the target would be the empire state building. the family is trying to sell it and it's up for a total renovation.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeSurfer View Post
i doubt the new tower is a target. i feel like the target would be the empire state building. the family is trying to sell it and it's up for a total renovation.
A bomber crashed into the Empie State Building...it stood. They knew how to build in 1929.

PA put up two pieces of junk, that had two planes not crashed into them would have fallen in the first hurricane.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:15 PM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
A bomber crashed into the Empie State Building...it stood. They knew how to build in 1929.

PA put up two pieces of junk, that had two planes not crashed into them would have fallen in the first hurricane.
Nope, because they closed the buildings for Hurricane Gloria in 1986 because of the wind danger, and they stood just fine. They were built to take the wind. Or maybe not.

I was once told, years ago--and I can't vouch for the accuracy of this story--that during the design of the towers, they sent the model out to a wind tunnel testing place in Arizona and simulated the worst possible winds that could happen in NYC. The buildings fell down every time. So they had them retested at a similar site in Japan and they stood up.

Again, don't know if that's true, but in the early years there, I worked with a lot of people who had been around for the original construction.

The sound of the steel swaying in the wind was a part of daily life at the WTC and the scary sound of that steel in the walls on 9/11 was a huge clue that something was terribly wrong.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Nope, because they closed the buildings for Hurricane Gloria in 1986 because of
the wind danger, and they stood just fine. They were built to take the wind.
Or maybe not
Gloria is NOT a good example. It was a poorly defined Category 1 by the time it hit our area. It made landfall on Long Island with the strongest winds of 85 mph on the Eastern side of the storm.
It is likely NYC was hit by much weaker winds than that.

I am reasonably certain that a good Cat 4 storm's hit onto Sandy Hook would have brought both towers down.

These were the same PA engineers that designed a 60 ton suspended ceiling in the then new PATH tower over the Journal Square station.
It fell down crushing 2 and injuring a dozen. No wind needed, just incompetence and penny pinching design.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:21 AM

863 posts, read 1,129,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNY...DirtyStayOut View Post
RS4? Sweet, I always loved Audis, had some nice ones. Big fan of the S8 when it had the Lambo v10, beast of a sedan.
Anyway jack**, the Japanese may have bombed Pearl Harbor but we settled that with Fat Man and Little Boy a few years later. The have been our allies since, a culture based on honor and respect. I have no animosity towards them and prayed for them during the Tsunami events. They are a good people and are welcome here as my brothers and sisters.

Hypocrisy? Hardly. Unlike you I recognize an ideology for what it is. Nothing in common with American values. Islam holds no kinship with America. Innocent or not, like I said not my f*cking problem. Death and destruction have been going on forever there and will continue, I couldn't care less. Oriana Fallaci wrote some appropriate books on the subject, read much? Or do you prefer cartoons? Nice try little boy...
Ouch. You really burned me with those insults .

What I love about this post is that it, yet again, shows your hypocrisy (and immaturity). You've earlier said to another poster:

Quote:
Typical self centered American. Tragedy? This was an ACT OF WAR against innocent citizens.
...and then wrote this above about innocent Muslims (READ: people who didn't do anything to anyone just like the people at the Trade Center):

Quote:
Innocent or not, like I said not my f*cking problem.

It's interesting that an avid reader, such as yourself, can't understand the simple definition of hypocrisy. Wouldn't the 2nd quote above make you a hypocrite? What's even more interesting is that you justify the mass murder of 200,000+ innocents in a civilian Japanese city over a couple of thousand in TWO naval cities. Yeah, the attack on Pearl Harbor was wrong, but the response was even worse. Of course, by your logic, those 200,000+ deserved it because their government decided to go to war with 'us.' So yeah, please do tell me how you're not a "typical self-centered American" as well.

Now what's your idea of "American values?" Does it involve caring about people? It sure doesn't seem like you do (unless they're Americans or allies...the rest, although some are innocent, can go to hell, right?). I'm also sorry to say that you enjoying watching people (in this case, Muslims) getting slaughtered sounds as sick as the Islamic extremists you condemn. I can tell you what I think about some of our values, but then you'd probably call me a terrorist or tell me to leave the country. You wouldn't be the only one. That's the typical response of a self-centered, overly patriotic citizen who thinks America can do no wrong. No, I do not hate America; I'm just a realist.

Oh, and I love cartoons! Regular Show is one of my favorites! Good call on the RS4 reference as well.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:55 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,219,078 times
The atomic bombs are beyond anything any of us can possibly imagine. However you do realize that doing that prevented probably well over a million people from dying when all would have been said and done right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City