Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 01:14 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,045,592 times

Advertisements

I found this very interesting.

Quote:
When Ray Mortenson first started taking his cameras through the most wasted of the wastelands that made up parts of the South Bronx in the early 1980s, he devised a helpful subway mantra: Take the 5, stay alive. Take the 4, dead for sure.

This was only because the No. 5 line led through a handful of neighborhoods — East Tremont, Mott Haven, Morrisania — that had been so gutted and burned out during the 1970s that whole blocks were almost completely abandoned, meaning fewer chances of stumbling into a mugger or drug deal.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/01/ar...6IU+0VlRUezBZQ

Normally one would think the south Bronx neighborhoods were more dangerous but he does have a point in that those south Bronx neighborhoods had few people living there, while the denser neighborhoods along the 4 housed all the crazy refugees and undesirables from the south Bronx. Maybe that is why you don't see any images of Highbridge, Morris/University Heights, Tremont, or Fordham from the back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 01:44 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,859,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I found this very interesting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/01/ar...6IU+0VlRUezBZQ

Normally one would think the south Bronx neighborhoods were more dangerous but he does have a point in that those south Bronx neighborhoods had few people living there, while the denser neighborhoods along the 4 housed all the crazy refugees and undesirables from the south Bronx. Maybe that is why you don't see any images of Highbridge, Morris/University Heights, Tremont, or Fordham from the back then.
I can't find any of photos of Morrisania except Charlotte St. when Jimmy Carter made that notable visit in 1977.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
I can't find any of photos of Morrisania except Charlotte St. when Jimmy Carter made that notable visit in 1977.
Oh there's plenty.

On that page, these look like Claremont Village projects.

And more here:

Bristow St and E 170th

Franklin ave and E 169th

Franklin and Jefferson PL

Crotona Park South and Fulton ave:

E 162nd street and Third avenue:

Tinton ave and E 169th st

College ave and E 165th street

Now try to find me a photo of West 183rd street, or Andrews avenue, how about Mount Eden ave, or Ogden avenue?

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=153781

Old 10-30-2013, 03:08 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,677,856 times
College and 165th isn't far from Findlay and 170th where my maternal grandparents lived.

Old 10-30-2013, 03:13 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,677,856 times
how about some pics of High Bridge and Morris Hts. i remember driving down Jerome Ave from the Cross Bronx to go to the stadium--east and west of Jerome, especially around 172, 170th lots of abandonment. not endless rows of abandonment like around Charlotte Street but enough to make it menacing to look at. i remember seeing constant street fights and sounds of people being stabbed or assaulted (loud cries etc) and my dad telling me "this is NOTHING compared to the EAST Bronx" (he meant area around So Blvd, Westchester Ave etc). i used to think, how much worse can it be...

Old 10-30-2013, 03:17 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,248,929 times
These pictures (not the first one) were shot by Robert Ronan. Most of them are from 1989 and the picture with the Borough Courthouse is from 1992.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:07 PM
DAS

Quote:
Oh there's plenty.

On that page, these look like Claremont Village projects.

And more here:

Bristow St and E 170th

Franklin ave and E 169th

Franklin and Jefferson PL

Crotona Park South and Fulton ave:

E 162nd street and Third avenue:

Tinton ave and E 169th st

College ave and E 165th street

Now try to find me a photo of West 183rd street, or Andrews avenue, how about Mount Eden ave, or Ogden avenue?

South Bronx - 1980s/early 90s - SkyscraperPage Forum
The Franklin and 169th maybe accurate on one side of the street not sure though, the church is still there and there are new buildings there now. On the other side the library and PS 63 are still there. The older apt buildings are still there.

The photo of 169th and Tinton is not accurate. Looks like Boston Road buildings between 168th and 169th but not from the corner of 169th. 169th and Tinton corner only had 1 apt. building which still stands. Private houses on other corner were replaced, but there were no apt buildings behind them when the lot was vacant that's how I know it's not Tinton and 169th. I know that stretch over there from around Franklin down to Southern Blvd through all the changes.

Bristow and Franklin is restored now and buildings are cooped. Most of what you are showing has been restored and replaced but there is still vacant land around.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
The Franklin and 169th maybe accurate on one side of the street not sure though, the church is still there and there are new buildings there now. On the other side the library and PS 63 are still there. The older apt buildings are still there.

The photo of 169th and Tinton is not accurate. Looks like Boston Road buildings between 168th and 169th but not from the corner of 169th. 169th and Tinton corner only had 1 apt. building which still stands. Private houses on other corner were replaced, but there were no apt buildings behind them when the lot was vacant that's how I know it's not Tinton and 169th. I know that stretch over there from around Franklin down to Southern Blvd through all the changes.

Bristow and Franklin is restored now and buildings are cooped. Most of what you are showing has been restored and replaced but there is still vacant land around.
The point is that there are photos of Morrisania, but NONE of University Heights.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:44 PM
DAS

Quote:
The point is that there are photos of Morrisania, but NONE of University Heights.
Oh OK you had stated that already. The thing about that though is University Heights was White for a long time and until around after 1970. The Black and Latin people that first moved over there were solidly middle class so they didn't experience that burn out. So I agree photos should have been taken to show that. I think more photos were taken to show the negativity of a non white Bronx. University Heights still stands and you have some of the best views in the city.

I feel the same way because take that photo of Bristow and Franklin there are only about 6 small apt buildings on that block. Everybody knew everybody. But that photo of the burn out doesn't show that. It doesn't show the many blocks that weren't burned out. That still stand today. There has been no gentrification in Morrisania,what ever has been preserved, and whatever was restored was accomplished by the residents .

Old 10-30-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Oh OK you had stated that already. The thing about that though is University Heights was White for a long time and until around after 1970. The Black and Latin people that first moved over there were solidly middle class so they didn't experience that burn out. So I agree photos should have been taken to show that. I think more photos were taken to show the negativity of a non white Bronx. University Heights still stands and you have some of the best views in the city.

I feel the same way because take that photo of Bristow and Franklin there are only about 6 small apt buildings on that block. Everybody knew everybody. But that photo of the burn out doesn't show that. It doesn't show the many blocks that weren't burned out. That still stand today. There has been no gentrification in Morrisania,what ever has been preserved, and whatever was restored was accomplished by the residents .
quick nitpicking but lower University Heights (area around west 180th) burned to the ground.

1980's Urban Decay in the West Bronx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City