Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 04:12 AM

56 posts, read 145,288 times

Advertisements

i know ! i know ! you cannot decide for me. only i can do that.

all i can tell you is i lived in new york (park slope brooklyn) for 18 years. BEST years of my life !
i am an artist/actress/comic.. so it WAS and IS the place for me to be...

my kid was born there. she had THE BEST life. GREAT school also.... when she was 4 i got sick (cancer)

short of it is..... i moved back to my hometown to be with family.... and have regretted it ever since...

i have a 1,200 square ft apartment here.. 9 rooms... HUGE 2 bedroom 2 bath apartment.... great country view... yet i am bored out of my MIND !!! AND sooo MISERABLE!! i was happrier in my 850 sq ft brooklyn apartment....
exposing my kid to all kinds of cultures....
museums.. cafe's.. art..theatre... .life !

here is is homophobic, racist.... and if i even mettion that i want to return to new york, you would have thought i said i wanted to take my kid to a war zone....

what i feel here...., has never compared to new York.. i was ME there.....

(And was lucky to find a rent stabilized apt in PARK SLOPE)

am i nuts for wanting to return? leave ALLLLLL this space.... why do folks here think i am crazy to leave ?
also.. my daughter is MORE than ready to return !!

your thoughts??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 04:37 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Flack from who ? That's stupid.If you are trapped in misery get out.It's horrible that people would pressure you like that.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:39 AM

979 posts, read 4,456,896 times
Quote:
why do folks here think i am crazy to leave
Because they're homophobic and racist???

Old 06-17-2011, 04:52 AM

56 posts, read 145,288 times
@ BlueDog2

it does sound absurd that people would give me flack for returning doen't it. but that is only 1/3 of the warped mentality here in my hometown.. sadly....

not by everyone.. but most !

especially my own family....

huge reason why i want to leave
(ESCAPE !!!! LOL !!!)

when I lived in new york , blue Dog.. for the most part, I was surrounded by people who BELIEVED in letting/allowing people to be themselves...

to Live THEIR own life !!

So different here....

Old 06-17-2011, 05:07 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
I can't imagine anything worse than feeling trapped and bored ,living amongst a bunch of small minded, bigoted people.It will give you ulcers,heart disease or cancer(again)...maybe all 3.

The whole family thing is useless if your family cannot accept who you are.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:10 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,784,719 times
There are people who hate NYC and people who love it. I have friends who fall in both camps. I just find it a tad amusing that you encountered homophobic and racist opinions in your hometown when I think such views are harbored by many in NYC as well (just walk around some areas of Upper East and West sides and watch their faces distort in disgust if they were told half of Harlem would be moving in next door to them). That's more a product of your immediate neighborhood.

Park slope is a lovely and diverse neighborhood, I wouldn't take opinions from your family or hometown friends seriously because they don't sound very educated nor have had experience living in a cosmopolitan city like NYC. Sucks for them!

Old 06-17-2011, 06:16 AM

979 posts, read 4,456,896 times
Quote:
Park slope is a lovely and diverse neighborhood
Park slope's idea of diversity is having Mexican, Chinese and Indian restaurants for take out.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:26 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
ManhattanGirlz,

I hate to get down to the nitty gritty here.
1. You gave up a rent-stabilized large apartment (850sq ft. is NY large) and you will not likely find another.
2. Did you beat the cancer?

If you don't NEED rent stabilization and the cancer is behind you, then go for it.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:40 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,440 times
How long have you been gone?

Things have def changed. Even in the past 5 years.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:38 AM

961 posts, read 2,464,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManhattanGirlz View Post
i know ! i know ! you cannot decide for me. only i can do that.

all i can tell you is i lived in new york (park slope brooklyn) for 18 years. BEST years of my life !
i am an artist/actress/comic.. so it WAS and IS the place for me to be...

my kid was born there. she had THE BEST life. GREAT school also.... when she was 4 i got sick (cancer)

short of it is..... i moved back to my hometown to be with family.... and have regretted it ever since...

i have a 1,200 square ft apartment here.. 9 rooms... HUGE 2 bedroom 2 bath apartment.... great country view... yet i am bored out of my MIND !!! AND sooo MISERABLE!! i was happrier in my 850 sq ft brooklyn apartment....
exposing my kid to all kinds of cultures....
museums.. cafe's.. art..theatre... .life !

here is is homophobic, racist.... and if i even mettion that i want to return to new york, you would have thought i said i wanted to take my kid to a war zone....

what i feel here...., has never compared to new York.. i was ME there.....

(And was lucky to find a rent stabilized apt in PARK SLOPE)

am i nuts for wanting to return? leave ALLLLLL this space.... why do folks here think i am crazy to leave ?
also.. my daughter is MORE than ready to return !!

your thoughts??
How long has it been since you left? And do you know the person who is in your rent stabilized apt now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City