Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 11:14 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Supernatural View Post
I wonder if PD is looking the other way because of all of the Stop and Frisk flack?
I believe they are. Ever since Stop & Frisk came under fire I've been seeing more QOL issues in the city than ever. Particularly right in Midtown Manhattan. The media & DeBlasio think it's harassment of minorities, but in reality it's police taking action about possible suspicious or criminal activity. At first I was concerned about it too, but police have every right to stop and question you if you appear to be a possible suspect of a crime or involved in criminal activity. This happens everywhere and is completely legal. I'm more concerned with NYPD's abuse of power against photographers who are told to stop taking photos on the streets and subways of NY, which of course gets very little media coverage.
Because Stop and Frisk can't be used, the police will not approach beggars, homeless individuals, or even rowdy groups of youths, esp if they are minorities because they are afraid of being shamed or losing their job because the media will label them "intolerant". DeBlasio is guilty of playing the race card time & time again and with him criminals will take over the streets because the police are afraid of being called racist. Similar issues occur on Long Island in many towns over Day Laborers loitering, but it pales in comparison to what will happen to New York under DeBlasio.
Basically the power of the NYPD has been significantly reduced, and all the problems that were kept under control are once again returning in full force. Won't be long till the Squeegee men return...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 11:15 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,030,653 times
I do have to add, thank you for the photos! While not THAT gritty, they are informative. Thank you.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:21 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Not sure how much grittier it is today than it was say last year or the year prior to that. How clean do you really expect NYC to be? We'll see how different it becomes once deblasio's kids become mayor.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:19 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
I voted for de Blasio and I could care less about protecting the interests of real estate investors or the tourism industry. De Blasio all the way, the era of Giuliani and Bloomberg is OVER!

Giuliani and Bloomberg won their elections by appealing to old school Catholic(Irish, Italian) and Jewish voters who no longer whole the majority. Whites are under 50% of the population here, and the current population of whites has a lot more transplants from the Midwest and the South, as well as East European immigrants.

Well, if the city really got seedy (and I am not convinced it would) this does damage to the real estate industry and prices would go down. So its not necessarily a bad thing for this to happen, and NYC having less tourists isn't necessarily a bad thing, either.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:22 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
But overall newsflash, under Bloomberg himself, big parts of the city where as ghetto as ever. Huge parts of the Bronx, big parts of Brooklyn (especially Northeast Brooklyn), Jamaica, Queens, Corona, Queens, parts of the Rockaways, Coney Island, etc.

You can't just send in a few cops and miraculously "clean" things up. Anyway who says nonsense like this has never lived in the city. The city has a large number of people who don't work ,and whenever that happens crime goes up regardless of who the mayor is. This is something they can't be dealt with by policing.

Oh, Manhattan has a lot of soup kitchens, programs for the poor so that's why homeless people congregate there. Plus they can make money panhandling.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:28 AM

499 posts, read 793,971 times
^No part of the city was as ghetto as it use to be in the 80's. DeBlasio pretty much falls in line with Bloomberg regarding tourism and real estate so I don't know what you're expecting.

The pictures the OP took are of nothing new. Seventh and Eighth Avenues in the Garment District were always gritty. Trash bags on the sidewalk are something new? Really? Making sweeping assumptions about how the city is changing based on a few short visits is just dumb.

Lastly, while I'm no fan of DeBlasio, I'm tired of hearing these scare tactics of what will happen if he becomes mayor. He can't implement retrogressive policies alone. The poor people who will vote for him expecting 6-figure jobs and money to fall from the sky will surely be disappointed.

Last edited by Arxis28; 10-23-2013 at 06:40 AM..

Old 10-23-2013, 07:48 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Those pictures just look like business as normal in a huge city with all sorts of types. Nothing indicative of a decline.

However, in a year's time, I'm thinking there is going to be a lot of buyer's remorse with the new mayor. And the city is like a supertanker. Once its turned in the wong direction it takes a heck of a long time to get it back on course.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:52 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
I'm surprised there isn't buyers' remorse by now. Raising taxes to fund free Pre K? Yeah that'll make NYC a great city tomorrow.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:54 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,537 times
De Blasio is so terrible that he is already hurting us from the future.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:01 AM

156 posts, read 193,582 times
Where else are they supposed to put the trash bags?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City