Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 10:41 AM

424 posts, read 974,120 times

Advertisements

This is a problem with many dense cities not just NYC but I've noticed pedestrian problems have gotten worse in the smartphone era since 1/2 the pedestrians I pass are texting away, eyes fixed down at their smartphones and are walking in a straight line not looking where they're walking. I'll have to veer out of their way if they're walking on the wrong side of the sidewalk (keeping to the right is easier said then done with so many obstacles though) I've seen quite a few walking close to buildings get hit by opening doors or exiting people or if they're near the curb walk into people (some dropping and breaking their phones on the sidewalk )

In a few cases I see some are heading obviously toward a busy intersection with traffic and bike messengers flying by. Not surprisingly most peds are struck at crosswalks: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/03/ny...city.html?_r=0

Or even worse I'll encounter what I call "sensory deprivation" walkers wearing sunglasses (even on cloudy days) and noise canceling headphones who can't hear anything except the music blaring in their ears and can barely see in front of them- really not smart to walk around NYC like that since you need to see and hear what's around you out there. A fire engine might come barreling down the street but they wouldn't hear or see it until it's too late...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 12:50 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehanson View Post
This is a problem with many dense cities not just NYC but I've noticed pedestrian problems have gotten worse in the smartphone era since 1/2 the pedestrians I pass are texting away, eyes fixed down at their smartphones and are walking in a straight line not looking where they're walking. I'll have to veer out of their way if they're walking on the wrong side of the sidewalk (keeping to the right is easier said then done with so many obstacles though) I've seen quite a few walking close to buildings get hit by opening doors or exiting people or if they're near the curb walk into people (some dropping and breaking their phones on the sidewalk )

In a few cases I see some are heading obviously toward a busy intersection with traffic and bike messengers flying by. Not surprisingly most peds are struck at crosswalks: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/03/ny...city.html?_r=0

Or even worse I'll encounter what I call "sensory deprivation" walkers wearing sunglasses (even on cloudy days) and noise canceling headphones who can't hear anything except the music blaring in their ears and can barely see in front of them- really not smart to walk around NYC like that since you need to see and hear what's around you out there. A fire engine might come barreling down the street but they wouldn't hear or see it until it's too late...
Perhaps people crossing the street wearing headsets, talking or texting on their cellphones should be fined?

Sent from my GT-S7562 using Tapatalk 2

Old 10-24-2013, 12:57 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,724,649 times
I also knew of this to be a common thing, but then I bought a bicycle and started riding to work and school. And holy cow, this went from an issue to an epidemic!!! I don't have enough fingers and toes to count how many people have walked out in front of me while they weren't paying attention in the slightest bit, in a day.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:07 PM

424 posts, read 974,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
I also knew of this to be a common thing, but then I bought a bicycle and started riding to work and school. And holy cow, this went from an issue to an epidemic!!! I don't have enough fingers and toes to count how many people have walked out in front of me while they weren't paying attention in the slightest bit, in a day.
Very much the case with the 9th Avenue bike lane in Hell's Kitchen from the 30's-50's- dangerous for both bikers and peds (even more so with the Lincoln tunnel and Port Authority traffic) since the sidewalk is so narrow and trying to walk past large groups of people, avoiding texting walkers almost requires passing in the bike lane. Or people jaywalk across the bike lanes without looking to see if bikes are coming from behind them... Ironically this is an area where I encounter the most instances of fellow pedestrians not being aware of their surroundings and thus a lot of near misses between peds, cars, bikes near 42nd and 9th Avenue.

That's one of the most dangerous places to not pay attention.

Last edited by ehanson; 10-24-2013 at 02:28 PM..

Old 10-24-2013, 02:21 PM

257 posts, read 685,149 times
A lot of pedestrians jaywalk cluelessly and dangerously even when they don't have their noses stuck in their phones. Intersections where the street has a straight and turn arrow (54th and 55th come to mind) people walk into the middle of the street, right in front of a car whose light is about to turn green and are very surprised when the driver starts honking at them. Add music loud enough to block all outside noise and you basically have zombies prowling the streets.

I don't want to say that we need more enforcement, because there are thousands of people who jaywalk safely and carefully, but there has to be some sort of campaign to get people to not be morons.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:42 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,537 times
It's the WAY they walk that gets me, sort of ambling dopily out into the street, staring into space, not a care in the world.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:33 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
pedestrians here in Brooklyn do not pay attention at all when walking or crossing streets.
they are all too busy texting someone, shame, people are such idiots.

madame, ya got hit by a car because ya werent paying attention, you were texting....moron

Old 10-24-2013, 07:50 PM

466 posts, read 902,068 times
If I am already walking to the right, I make it a point NOT to move out of the way of people who are not paying attention, especially if they are staring at a phone. I will let them walk right into me if they are completely unaware, and then I will loudly say, "EXCUSE ME," and wait until they move.

Most people are able to see my feet and will move out of the way, but I've had a couple people actually bump into me.

The way I see it is that I'm doing exactly what I should be doing--paying attention and keeping to the right. They are veering off like morons and walking into people. I'm not going to move aside for them. Eventually they will learn.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:14 PM

916 posts, read 2,246,801 times
It's not just pedestrains, there are just more idiots around from both sides including car drivers and
pedestrains. Smart phones and texting make everyone dumber and oblivious of their surroundings.

Ouch..... HEY! Watch where you drive you idiot! I'm trying to post a very important message on city-data
forum!

Old 10-25-2013, 02:47 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehanson View Post
Or even worse I'll encounter what I call "sensory deprivation" walkers wearing sunglasses (even on cloudy days)..
Whats up with these people that constantly are wearing sunglasses, even in the subways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City