Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 10:23 AM

2,776 posts, read 1,841,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha7 View Post
I suspect most of the ethnic Russians and Ukranians You see there are Illegals. They're here to work as nannies, care takers and cleaning ladies. They stay for a few yrs, send money back home and leave. Most of them dont speak English and want to stay in that area...
Basically these people came from Moldova, Georgia, Ukraine, Belarus, Uzbekistan etc., not from Russia.
So, the majority of these people are ethnic moldovans, georgians, uzbeks..., not Russians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 10:40 AM

694 posts, read 1,202,968 times
Don't forget the Oceana condo-plenty of English-speaking Russian Jews live there and they are in their upper 30's and 40's. They could afford to live elsewhere-suburbs, Manhattan, however, have chosen to live by the water, close to the Russian food stores and their parents/grandparents and pay huge bucks for the "ocean view". When they first broke the ground on Oceana, advertising apartments starting from high 200's going up to 1 mln for penthouses, I thought they were insane, who would buy there, imagine my shock when so many bought and the prices kept on creeping up, doubling and tripling.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:42 AM

257 posts, read 684,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musiqum View Post
Basically these people came from Moldova, Georgia, Ukraine, Belarus, Uzbekistan etc., not from Russia.
So, the majority of these people are ethnic moldovans, georgians, uzbeks..., not Russians.
Ethnic Russians come from all the countries You listed. Have You been there recently? I agree, its a mix but its mostly ethnic Russian and Ukranians. And Yes I can tell even if crosses are not visible. Uzbeks (Bucharians) dont live there btw, they're all in Rego Park/forest Hills

Old 11-02-2013, 12:02 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,239,972 times
http://rlv.zcache.com/reprint_of_an_..._8byvr_512.jpg

http://www.russianartandbooks.com/ru...ms/Pr00256.jpg

Old 11-10-2013, 07:43 PM

39 posts, read 89,778 times
Is brighton beach in Brooklyn now called little russia by the sea for its large ethnic russian population instead of little Odessa which was used for the russian speaking Jews that left the Soviet Union decades ago?

Old 11-11-2013, 04:12 AM

260 posts, read 433,699 times
The Russian and Ukrainian population in Brighton is on the decline, mostly being replaced by immigrants from the Caucasus and Central Asia. Russian is spoken by the new arrivals, many of whom come from Uzbekistan.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blainnyc View Post
The Russian and Ukrainian population in Brighton is on the decline, mostly being replaced by immigrants from the Caucasus and Central Asia. Russian is spoken by the new arrivals, many of whom come from Uzbekistan.
I thought nowadays that most of the russian speaking people that live in brighton beach are ethnic Russians and Ukrainians that moved to the area after the collaspe of the Soviet Union?

Old 11-18-2013, 12:06 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,248,391 times
I don't know where tis ethnic slovoban or ukrainian lives nowadaya. After all goe to your home country. No jews left. Aint that fun?

Old 11-19-2013, 07:57 PM

I hear that in brighton beach there is a lot of anti semitism tension between jewish russians and ethnic russian and Ukrainian immigrants.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:12 PM

2,776 posts, read 1,841,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splintercel091 View Post
I hear that in brighton beach there is a lot of anti semitism tension between jewish russians and ethnic russian and Ukrainian immigrants.
You have to change your information provider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: