Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 05:35 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,984,124 times

Advertisements

personally i think the harlem river/FD drive is worse than the roads in the boroughs, even the BQE/gowanus. but, yeah things get pretty hairy especially when it's cold. but it's got to be hard with the frequent freeze/thaw cycles and huge volume that can be high even in the middle of the night (cross bronx)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 06:11 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I think because they cannot close it completely, it has to be done in sections. Now the portion near 65th street under 3rd Ave is where they are working on now. Oh goodie, I have to pass under that everyday. Forget a car wash. They have to keep the concrete wet so it has been curing for like, ages.....and the water is dripping like Niagra Falls. UGH. and I always get stuck at that light

I do think though the "concrete" roadway does last better than ashphalt. Ashphalt does not work, it does not last. The concrete they have used on the West Side Highway seems to have last longer, and they are using that on the Gowanus, which is a good thing.

Since I live in the area, I am on, or near the Gowanus everyday. I know, I know, lucky me!!
IIRC the Gowanus is one of the most heavily used highways in NY if not the USA and is past it's life cycle. After the Big Dig was finished in Boston there was talk about tearing down the Gowanus and BQE and putting it all under ground (tunnel). This would also restore access to the river for those living along the place which could be a good thing now that South Brooklyn is "Park Slope South".

Sadly the costs and other issues associated with the Big Dig has given such vast underground tunnel schemes a bad name. Personally couldn't handle driving from say Brooklyn Bridge to Bay Ridge in a tunnel. Can barely deal with the Lincoln or Holland at times. *LOL*

Old 11-14-2013, 06:24 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,984,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
IIRC the Gowanus is one of the most heavily used highways in NY if not the USA and is past it's life cycle.
by the measure of "number of hours congested per week" it's the cross bronx - nationally and by quite a large margin. there was a study a few years back, cross bronx was in a state of congestion (can't remember the exact definiton but it was something like traffic slowed to x% velocity compared to free flow velocity) well over 50% of the time. IIRC runner up was something in LA that was like 40%. it wasn't even a close race

by sheer number of cars it's probably one of the much wider highways in LA or ATL. by cars per lane i have no idea

GWB is the winner for river crossing volume, again by a large margin IIRC

Old 11-18-2013, 08:53 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
You can tell the difference and just how bad NYC roads/highways are the minute you come off the GWB or out of the tunnels into NJ; smooth riding. Once you do the reverse soon as you hit NYC streets it's pot holes, craters, and so forth.

To be fair NJ charges some very high tolls on both the highways and turnpike to pay for all those smooth roads, but it is worth it; even better don't have to pump my own petrol!. It is also nice there are so many nice and clean rest stops in NJ. Good place to grab some coffee or what not, then get back on the road.

The Gowanus is one hot mess! You never know from week to week what lanes are going to be closed and then there are the pot holes.

As to why NYC roads stink? Well the answer lies is the same as everything else; no one wants to pay more in taxes.
Same thing with Connecticut. 95 becomes a lot smoother as soon as you pass into Greenwich.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:29 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times
I find I 95 from the GWB to Connecticut to be one of the ugliest, yet more fascinating roads. the motorist gets hit with one of the nations worst slums in the Bronx (or maybe thats in the past now) a huge traffic interchange (Bruckner circle) huge housing development (Co op City) urban renewal (New Rochelle) some of the nations more upper crust communities (Larchmont-Rye) all in only 23.5 miles ( distance GWB to Conn line).

once on the Cr Bronx tho you really feel the difference in the pavement maintained by NY city as opposed to NY state (New England Thruway section). i guess its just the congestion that does it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City