Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 08:50 PM

21,769 posts, read 28,102,272 times

Advertisements

Is it me, or are the NYC highways (especially the outer boroughs) the worst they've been in recent memory?

I've been driving in the city fairly regularly in the past 12 years. I have to say they just keep getting worse and worse. I'm talking about pavement quality. I swear I feel like the axle has dropped out the bottom of my car at least a few times every trip. It's insane.

What do the locals think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 09:45 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,049,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Is it me, or are the NYC highways (especially the outer boroughs) the worst they've been in recent memory?

I've been driving in the city fairly regularly in the past 12 years. I have to say they just keep getting worse and worse. I'm talking about pavement quality. I swear I feel like the axle has dropped out the bottom of my car at least a few times every trip. It's insane.

At least I see work being done on the highways to try to repair them. I mean they've been repairing the Gowanus Expressway on and off for the past 20 years what more do you want. I think I've driven on a ramp into the Prospect expressway from the left, center, and right lanes of the Gowanus at one point or another. I know unionized labor is complicated, but I wish they'd make up their minds on how they want to connect two damn highways.

All jokes aside, I don't notice much difference. As long as I don't get a tire blown from a giant pothole on the highway again I really don't mind little bumps here and there. Which particular stretch of the highway are you referring to?

Old 11-09-2013, 09:48 PM

15,860 posts, read 14,487,406 times
They've been doing a lot of work. The Gowanus has been under continuous rebuilding for years. They're rebuilding the Grand Central by LaGuardia. They've replaced a couple the Harlem River bridges, and the Alexander Hamilton Bridge is being rebuilt while in use. And those are the ones I've dealt with. I just don't know if they can keep up

Old 11-10-2013, 05:27 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,067,667 times
I cant comment on city roads because i only occasionally drive thru them but if you drove in the 1970s you would realize how much better they are in recent years.

The roads back then did serious damage to cars suspensions...shocks in particular never lasted.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:22 AM

43,675 posts, read 44,416,401 times
The roads aren't in great shape from what I have seen.

Sent from my GT-S7562 using Tapatalk 2

Old 11-10-2013, 07:27 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,318,817 times
We should just get rid of them.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:29 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,052,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post

I agree. I noticed this when driving dowm the Bruckner expressway, the whole highway had shards of broken glass and other car material. I noticed highways have looked neglected since mayor Bloomberg has been mayor. Dont blame tax payers, blame Bloomie and Janet Sadik Khan for spending money on building bike lanes and pedestrian paths. Even though I welcome pedestrian path, walkways plazas and bike lanes, thr current administration should do much better in improving health and safety of highways which looks neglected. Many highways in the city have pot holes, an accident or death waiting to happen.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:10 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,067,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
We should just get rid of them.
Guess you dont want your food delivered to your local store

Old 11-10-2013, 09:25 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,052,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Guess you dont want your food delivered to your local store
G dale is probably into the locally grown, roof top raised, urban food market, feel good about yourself, Im better than you fad! Than again I cant blame him, however NYC needs its expressway.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:08 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,619,083 times
It's the same problem as the subways...the system is so busy that you can't close much of it at a time, so repairs can't keep up with the deterioration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City