Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 12:18 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,999,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Can you link the article please?

I'd like to read it.
Just tried to find article online and it was last Sunday's NYT, not WSJ, sorry for the error.

NYT's articles are behind a pay wall so this is all one could find. If you subscribe to NYT or are willing to pay to read the article then you can do so from their website. Or, simply see if anyone has a copy of last Sunday's paper.

Caught In A Revolving Door Of Unemployment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 12:25 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,030,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Just tried to find article online and it was last Sunday's NYT, not WSJ, sorry for the error.

NYT's articles are behind a pay wall so this is all one could find. If you subscribe to NYT or are willing to pay to read the article then you can do so from their website. Or, simply see if anyone has a copy of last Sunday's paper.

Caught In A Revolving Door Of Unemployment
Thank you.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:22 PM

900 posts, read 2,373,126 times
It would be great if they completely overhaul the Section. 8 system.

In my building there's a girl receiving working Section 8, in my opinion if you're abled body and can work then work 3 jobs to keep the apartment but I digress, she has her thug no working a$$ boyfriend laying up with her and they just had a baby. WTF? You can't afford to pay full rent but you can afford a kid?

The.government needs to look at these people and start saying no to these young girls wanting an apartment by lying saying they have no place to stay because they don't want to stay in their mammi's over crowded apartment/house. Tough! Stay there and go to school until you have the earninig power to pay your own damn rent!

Section 8 should only be reserved for the elderly, disabled, veterans, and temporarily for the extreme family cases needing help. The rest should support themself or move to a place outside NYC where they can afford the rent.

Last edited by luvnyc; 11-22-2013 at 06:34 PM..

Old 11-22-2013, 08:59 PM

35 posts, read 37,441 times
Anyone here aware of this?

"The "scatter-site" housing program -- originated by John Lindsay to set homeless families up in apartments in various working class neighborhoods, adopted by Mayor Giuliani and inherited and perpetuated by Mayor Bloomberg -- was unpopular. So Bloomberg vowed to phase it out.

But he has replaced it with a "cluster-site" program, whereby, the Times documents today, homeless families are transferred to buildings, mostly in the Bronx, whose owners have negotiated a deal with the city -- usually a very generous one, about $2,700 per month per unit. For example, Aguila Inc., a "non-profit" run by the son of Bronx assemblyman Peter Rivera, netted a cool $9.2 million from the Department of Homeless Services in 2006."

Times: "Cluster-Site" Homeless Housing Bonanza for Landlords, Bad for Tenants

Old 11-22-2013, 09:37 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,030,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yusir View Post
Anyone here aware of this?

"The "scatter-site" housing program -- originated by John Lindsay to set homeless families up in apartments in various working class neighborhoods, adopted by Mayor Giuliani and inherited and perpetuated by Mayor Bloomberg -- was unpopular. So Bloomberg vowed to phase it out.

But he has replaced it with a "cluster-site" program, whereby, the Times documents today, homeless families are transferred to buildings, mostly in the Bronx, whose owners have negotiated a deal with the city -- usually a very generous one, about $2,700 per month per unit. For example, Aguila Inc., a "non-profit" run by the son of Bronx assemblyman Peter Rivera, netted a cool $9.2 million from the Department of Homeless Services in 2006."

Times: "Cluster-Site" Homeless Housing Bonanza for Landlords, Bad for Tenants
No, I wasn't aware of this, but the Coalition for the Homeless said that Giuliani made it his administration's mission to get people out of the shelter system.

Bloomberg hates poor people, so of course, he's going to make sure their conditions are the most disgusting that is legally allowed.

Thanks for this info though.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:24 PM

12,924 posts, read 18,770,297 times
I live in Columbia, South Carolina. Because it's the state capital it has its share of homeless, but a new approach to helping the homeless seems to be easing the situation here. In general I am intrigued by human migration or settlement (human geography) and the concept of poor people migrating to a place as expensive as New York. How does someone go from being so destitute as to be homeless in NYC to being able to get off the street in a place they can afford there? That's a rhetorical question. Like I said, I'm intrigued.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:34 PM

197 posts, read 636,407 times
LOL! he is going to make sure that their living conditions are poor? THEY are bums with their hands out looking for favors... They are lucky to get whatever is given to them... Ingateful parasites, This is exactly why people dont have much sympathy the "poor" and their future criminal children... They think everyone owes them or their bastard children anything... Here's some advice if you and your "baby daddy" make less than 60 grand combined don't have a baby, and getting married for the sake of the bastard child isn't such a bad idea, This is the biggest problem that faces poor communities is children being born to unmarried and unstable parents...

Old 11-23-2013, 04:37 AM

12,924 posts, read 18,770,297 times
Sixty grand combined with a baby will cut it in NYC?

Old 11-23-2013, 04:58 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,052,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Sixty grand combined with a baby will cut it in NYC?
Even less. Me and my gf make 40,000 and have a kid and we're fine. Oh and the reason we're not making bank is cause we haven't finished our majors yet

Old 11-23-2013, 05:12 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,137,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Even less. Me and my gf make 40,000 and have a kid and we're fine. Oh and the reason we're not making bank is cause we haven't finished our majors yet
OK, but I thought your rent was like $900 a month for a 2 bedroom?

That kind of low rent isn't available to most people, for the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City