Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 01:07 PM

8 posts, read 12,256 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

This is my first post.

I live in Sydney, Australia and plan to move to NYC.

I currently co-own an internet business. I take home around 300k-400k a year. We can work from anywhere in the world, but we want to enter the US market.

I don't know whether to move to Manhattan or the boroughs, given my income. I've been told that 300k-400k isn't enough to survive in Manhattan.

Also, would any tech guys recommend NYC for a data analytics company? I don't think I'd like San Francisco.

I'd greatly appreciate any advice on this matter.

All the best

Miller

Last edited by Miller_O; 11-23-2013 at 01:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 01:11 PM

2,547 posts, read 2,872,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller_O View Post
Hi all,

This is my first post.

I currently co-own an internet business. I take home around 300k-400k a year. We can work from anywhere in the world, but we want to enter the US market.

I don't know whether to move to Manhattan or the boroughs, given my income. I've been told that 300k-400k isn't enough to survive in Manhattan.

All the best

Miller
This is true. I would look in the outer boroughs of Queens and Brooklyn. East New York, Brownsville, and Far Rockaway are a few neighborhoods you could afford to live in here.

Old 11-23-2013, 01:19 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,017,781 times
Quote:
Hi all,

This is my first post.

All the best

Miller
You can live anywhere in Manhattan with that kind of yearly income. We are speaking of USD?

Old 11-23-2013, 01:28 PM

5,522 posts, read 8,778,165 times
Ignore the above troll. The neighborhoods he mentions (ENY, Brownsville, Far Rock) are slums and among the worst in the city. Your income is more than enough to live almost anywhere in metro NY. It's just a matter of preference.

The things to consider most wil be : a) whether you want to rent or buy b) whether you are coming with children and need an area with good schools c) whether you will work from home and need big space or plan on getting office space in addition to housing.

With your income none of those are deal-breakers. But no one here can point you in the right direction wtihout knowing the answers to those questions and something about your preferences in lifestyle.

Old 11-23-2013, 01:29 PM

Yes, we are speaking in USD. But that's before tax and not after-tax.

Old 11-23-2013, 01:29 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,141,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
This is true. I would look in the outer boroughs of Queens and Brooklyn. East New York, Brownsville, and Far Rockaway are a few neighborhoods you could afford to live in here.
To OP:
The above is a snark post, from someone jealous of your income level. East NY, Brownsville and Far Rockaway are some of the poorest neighborhoods in NYC, with unpleasant and sometimes dangerous quality of life issues. Please ignore anything this poster, CincyExpert, says.

I will never understand why, when people come on here asking legitimate questions, that we have stupid members like CincyExpert who think it's funny to misguide them.

Old 11-23-2013, 01:31 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,141,966 times
You can afford Manhattan, but you should also look in the nicer neighborhoods of Brooklyn, such as Brooklyn Heights, DUMBO, Cobble Hill, Carroll Gardens and Boerum Hill.

Old 11-23-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Ignore the above troll. The neighborhoods he mentions are slums and among the worst in the city. Your income is more than enough to live almost anywhere in metro NY. It's just a matter of preference.

The things to consider most wil be : a) whether you want to rent or buy b) whether you are coming with children and need an area with good schools c) whether you will work form home and need big space or plan on getting office space in addition to housing.

With your income none of those are deal-breakers. But no one here can point you in the right direction wtihout knowing the answers to those questions and something about your preferences in lifestyle.
Thanks for your response, Citylove101.

a) I plan to buy soon. I don't live a flash lifestyle and am interested in saving as much as I can.

b) I got no family or girlfriend.

c) I plan to rent an office in Manhattan soon.

Cheers

Miller

Last edited by Miller_O; 11-23-2013 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: 'city' changed to Manhattan

Old 11-23-2013, 01:47 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,017,781 times
Quote:
Thanks for your response, Citylove101.

a) I plan to buy soon. I don't live a flash lifestyle and am interested in saving as much as I can.

b) I got no family or girlfriend.

c) I plan to rent an office in Manhattan soon.

Cheers

Miller
Personally unless one has any great love for various aforementioned areas in Brooklyn and or the needs, I'd concentrate on Manhattan as your income is more than enough to purchase or rent. You may be able to find space that will allow you to have your "office" in your apartment which at least short term would allow you to sort yourself out in a new country and city.

Old 11-23-2013, 02:20 PM

5,522 posts, read 8,778,165 times
If you're thinking of renting an office many tech companies are gravitating troward the Flatiron district, which is the area around 23rd St and Fifth Ave in NYC. But that has made the area increasingly pricey and I'd guess especially so for new, smaller tenants. Some of the areas in the far West side, near the Google NYC headquarters on 17th and 11th ave (near the trendy nightclub area called the Meatpacking district) are also showing similar rent rises for small tenants, IIRC. But there are relatively less expensive small offices available in Midtown and in lower Manhattan (the financial district), some in turnkey condition. They just aren't as close to the hub of 'Silicon Alley' in Flatiron.

As for buying a place to live in Manhattan, I'd guess the best deals are on the Upper East Side and the Financial District, but even there you'd pay north of $400,000 (US) for a decent one-bedroom. You will defintely get more for your money in places like Long Island City (just across the river from Manhattan) and the Brooklyn brownstone neighborhoods.

But personally, if I were just moving to a new country, I'd rent first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City