Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2014, 08:26 AM

343 posts, read 1,092,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanya Washington View Post
I was told the same exact thing. The only difference is that I was told a week after my interview. Truthfully speaking and Lets be real-- who would actually not accept an affordable unit after being approved, etc?! NO ONE! The point in applying for affordable housing is because you need/want it. I just do not see any person in their right mind having a change of heart after following through with the whole process. So I am just taking this as a lost and will just simply continue applying to other developments.
my friend who was accepted on the spot, turned down an apartment because the bedroom was too small. and she still lives in a crowded home with her whole family, she shares a room with her sister! you never know why people do what they do, but it does happen. and remember once you sign a lease for any apartment there are fees that need to be paid - always a security deposit, maybe first & last month's rent too. think about most people needing affordable housing, they may not have that much money on hand to pay those fees, and if you cant pay the fees you have no apartment. not saying this means it'll happen here & you'll get an apartment tomorrow lol but its not unheard of
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 08:39 AM

46 posts, read 88,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLove View Post
my friend who was accepted on the spot, turned down an apartment because the bedroom was too small. and she still lives in a crowded home with her whole family, she shares a room with her sister! you never know why people do what they do, but it does happen. and remember once you sign a lease for any apartment there are fees that need to be paid - always a security deposit, maybe first & last month's rent too. think about most people needing affordable housing, they may not have that much money on hand to pay those fees, and if you cant pay the fees you have no apartment. not saying this means it'll happen here & you'll get an apartment tomorrow lol but its not unheard of
Wow. I've never heard of it happening. However, what you are saying is very true.
Well tax season is near, so I'm almost certain majority of the candidates chosen will have whatever fees that need to be paid. Secondly, a friend of mine that got a lottery apt through affordable housing did not have her fees until a month after and they held her apt for her. She did have prorated charges from the time she signed her lease though.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:45 AM

343 posts, read 1,092,921 times
Quote:
Wow. I've never heard of it happening. However, what you are saying is very true.
Well tax season is near, so I'm almost certain majority of the candidates chosen will have whatever fees that need to be paid. Secondly, a friend of mine that got a lottery apt through affordable housing did not have her fees until a month after and they held her apt for her. She did have prorated charges from the time she signed her lease though.
i didn't know they held apartments if you didn't have fees. thats a completely different story. forget what i said about fees then lol. actually i guess maybe they do anticipate people in need may not be able to have fees on time. but still with all the people who want an apartment, i cant imagine them just letting you take however long to pay.. hmm idk how i feel about that

Old 01-17-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLove View Post
i didn't know they held apartments if you didn't have fees. thats a completely different story. forget what i said about fees then lol. actually i guess maybe they do anticipate people in need may not be able to have fees on time. but still with all the people who want an apartment, i cant imagine them just letting you take however long to pay.. hmm idk how i feel about that
Yeah tell me about it! I remember because her interview was the beginning of May. She was accepted on the spot as well n the interviewer asked her "when can you have the money". But she didn't move in until the end of June (when she was able to pay the fees).

So I guess some Realtors will have you sign the lease and just have you pay prorated charges.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:25 AM

31 posts, read 64,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvme3489 View Post
Sorry to hear that. They shouldn't waste people's time if they don't have any vacancies. Did you have to pay the $25-50 money order? What was your log # and who was your interviewer? Sorry for so many questions.
I didn't have to pay the money order because she said my application would be on hold and it didn't make since to run a credit check until they called back to tell me there were some vacancies. My interviewer was Ritchell. Yours?

Old 01-17-2014, 10:27 AM

31 posts, read 64,935 times
Quote:
I was told the same exact thing. The only difference is that I was told a week after my interview. Truthfully speaking and Lets be real-- who would actually not accept an affordable unit after being approved, etc?! NO ONE! The point in applying for affordable housing is because you need/want it. I just do not see any person in their right mind having a change of heart after following through with the whole process. So I am just taking this as a lost and will just simply continue applying to other developments.
They said its possible, and honestly I can believe it somehow cause some people don't even have the money to pay first month rent and security or they don't like the area or he size of the unit

Old 01-17-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewLife1219 View Post
They said its possible, and honestly I can believe it somehow cause some people don't even have the money to pay first month rent and security or they don't like the area or he size of the unit
Hopefully that is the case and one of us (if not both) lucks up! God knows I need that apartment lol.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:23 PM

19 posts, read 50,490 times
I received an email saying that my interview appointment has been cancelled. I never cancelled my appointment with them. I tried calling them but they don't answer. I even emailed them but have not heard from them. What is going on with these people?

Old 01-17-2014, 09:43 PM

32 posts, read 81,197 times
I would take a trip down there personally to see what's up!!!

Old 01-18-2014, 12:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,850 times
Almost anyone you talk to will tell you that "you should not spend more than 1/3" of your pay for rent. The rent that they are charging for the corresponding income ranges are all well over 50% of income!

That being said, it would be interesting to know the financial situation the chosen tenants are in. It seems as if you choose to move in, depending on the lifestyle you plan on living, YOU WILL BE LIVING CHECK TO CHECK. So, if and when you move out, you will have about the same amount of money in your savings account you had to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery