Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 02:23 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
You're wrong. She used the word citizen in a perfectly acceptable way. Look it up in the dictionary if you aren't familiar with all the meanings.
Of course citizenry can be used in city terms. However I always view citizen as a meaning of national ans natural origin of birth right. I primarily use NYC in terms of residence and never citizen. I can understand using the term citizen of NYC during the Victorian era but those days are long gone. Reside or NYC as residence, same can be applied to the stat. I dont think I was wrong and sorry that you feel offended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 04:08 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Sorry if I pissed you off. I was on vacation when I made that comment. My view ans interpretation of NYC is vastlt different from yours and Gaydale!
Be a little more open minded. Not right to insult someone based off sexual orientation. Obviously your view and interpretation of NYC is a little off, we can marry now. Bronxgayanese.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Be a little more open minded. Not right to insult someone based off sexual orientation. Obviously your view and interpretation of NYC is a little off, we can marry now. Bronxgayanese.
Lol. That made me laugh. Don'tmake me laugh! I tell ya, if I get a nickle for every sucker from Glendale. To Williamsburg and back tobTiimbuktu saying NYC is the greatest city on earth, I'd be a rich man by now,!

Old 12-02-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Lol. That made me laugh. Don'tmake me laugh! I tell ya, if I get a nickle for every sucker from Glendale. To Williamsburg and back tobTiimbuktu saying NYC is the greatest city on earth, I'd be a rich man by now,!
And maybe have enough money saved up to finally move out of the Bronx? I'm sure your ancestors didn't immigrate here for you to be stuck in the Bronx forever.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:18 PM

615 posts, read 1,382,386 times
I see that my thread has been highjacked...

When I went to NYC I was only able to explore Manhattan even though I really wanted to explore Brooklyn. We just didn't have the time as we were there for only four days.

I'm still imagining NYC in my head. I wish I can live there for a year or two...

Chicago is a great city, but I have lived here for over two decades now. I need a change of scenery!!

Old 12-02-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago87 View Post

When I went to NYC I was only able to explore Manhattan even though I really wanted to explore Brooklyn. We just didn't have the time as we were there for only four days.

I'm still imagining NYC in my head. I wish I can live there for a year or two...

Chicago is a great city, but I have lived here for over two decades now. I need a change of scenery!!
Sorry about that. I do agree with you regarding the density factor and not sure if any other US city has it at NYCs level. Anyone that thinks density on a large urban street grid is overrated is clueless. And density by no means is the same as overcrowding. If you are young, like the vibe and have no dependents back home, then seriously consider it. Most people around here do not make over $100k, so I guess its doable. Some people who feel stuck here will be haters on your situation if you have the ability to simply pick up and move at will.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:20 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times
Originally Posted by Chicago87

"I would love to live in NYC for a few years, but I feel like I have to make at least $100,000 a year to be able to enjoy what the city has to offer."

Why ? Most of us don't.

bluedog--good answer. i would have gotten defensive, then depressed after...(cos it makes me defensive to have to deal with that of post cos i don't make $100,000...)

Old 12-03-2013, 06:20 PM

850 posts, read 796,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago87 View Post

I also lived in Chicago and thought NYC was a good experience when visiting there. Mind you living and visiting are 2 different things. The rents in NY are higher and its so transient that its are to make friends. Competition for jobs in Manhattan is cut throat. Brooklyn is more like lakeview, wrigleyville where its more residential and has gone through some gentrification causing housing to be higher there also.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
And maybe have enough money saved up to finally move out of the Bronx? I'm sure your ancestors didn't immigrate here for you to be stuck in the Bronx forever.
Lol. My ancestors packed up and moved so many times. I can trace my roots back to continents of South America where Guyana is located and my grandparents on both sides are from. Then on to Europe, Africa and Indian Subcontinent where my ancestors are from before moving and for some forced to move to the new world. My ancestors seemed to be on the move from one place to the next! Sadly enough I'm not an immigrant born and raised native. Its not about moving out of the Bronx, its the whole entire city, and a I'm actually making some progress. However if I make 100k a year or more, I probably might stay put up with the Bronx and the rest of the city! Don't get me wrong, NYC is great city, but not the best in the world or the greatest city in the world, no city isn't greatest city. Not UR, not Babylon, Persepolis, Athens, Pella, Alexandria, Rome, Constantinople, Baghdad, Samarkand, Tenochtitlan, Paris, London and finally NYC. I'm happy the OP enjoyed NYC and again sometimes a change of scenery is nice.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 12-03-2013 at 08:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City