Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 06:42 AM

43,717 posts, read 44,480,109 times

Advertisements

I would suggest Forest Hills in Queens which has 2 multiplex and one duplex movie theater plus a library branch. It is also near some parks (large and small).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 07:32 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,325,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I would suggest Forest Hills in Queens which has 2 multiplex and one duplex movie theater plus a library branch. It is also near some parks (large and small).
I would second Forest Hills. You have the movie theater on Austin st, the one on Queens blvd, the one on Metropolitan ave, Atlas Park in nearby Glendale, and the independent theater in nearby Kew Gardens. Problem is the $2000/month budget. Price-wise, I'd say that Forest Hills > Kew Gardens > Glendale. So Glendale might be the only affordable option. All areas are served by Forest Park and each have their own library branch (Kew Gardens being the closest to the bigger hub library in Jamaica).

Old 12-05-2013, 07:37 AM

282 posts, read 575,943 times
I would go for Kew Gardens. Are you looking for a one bedroom or a studio? Prices generally range from $1200-$1450, depending on what you are looking for. Do you have a car or will you be using public transportation?

Old 12-05-2013, 07:56 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,340,358 times
Middle Village!!! Zero nightlife, but cheap as dirt, and there is a movie theater right there. Glendale and Kew Gardens great too. I think there is also movie theater in Sunnyside.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:19 AM

290 posts, read 366,985 times
I vote for Ridgewood, especially if you can get a place near the Myrtle-Wykoff train station. Myrtle Ave. has a theater (it's called the Bushwick Twin IIIRC), billiards, tons of great restaurants and shopping, and is quick to Manhattan. We almost left NYC due to COL reasons but decided against it because this is such a great area.

If not Ridgewood (which is in Queens BTW), try Sunnyside, Jackson Heights, Forest Hills, or even parts of Astoria. There are still deals to be had along the N/Q lines. A good friend of mine lives there, and his friend owns apts. in Astoria and Long Island City so I can ask about rents if you want.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:25 AM

25,381 posts, read 37,114,463 times
I was going to suggest UES between First and Second Aves based on the title of the thread. There are a gazillion old 5 story walkups. But when I saw that you needed to include utilities and food in the $2,000 I turned skeptical.

Of course it's doable if you are willing to go on a strict egg and ramen diet but that is tough sledding after the first week.

For movies there is one good answer: NETFLIX.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:40 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,620,176 times
Hard to say where you should live because rent + food + utilities depends a lot on your lifestyle. Almost all landlords here require that you make 40x the rent, so use that to get a hard upper limit on your rent and go from there.

It also matters where in the city you'll work. A very long commute is not fun.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:17 AM

290 posts, read 689,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I would second Forest Hills. You have the movie theater on Austin st, the one on Queens blvd, the one on Metropolitan ave, Atlas Park in nearby Glendale, and the independent theater in nearby Kew Gardens. Problem is the $2000/month budget. Price-wise, I'd say that Forest Hills > Kew Gardens > Glendale. So Glendale might be the only affordable option. All areas are served by Forest Park and each have their own library branch (Kew Gardens being the closest to the bigger hub library in Jamaica).
I'm in Forest Hills (not directly by the subway or anything, but maybe just a 5 min walk down 108th St), and my rent's under $1600 for a nice-sized 1bd. Kew Gardens definitely is cheaper, but it's also a lot older and further out from the subway. Is a car involved?

I think another big question is where you're actually working though. You've mentioned looking from Brooklyn to the Bronx to the UES..so do you have that type of workable mobility?

Old 12-05-2013, 01:18 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,727,891 times
sunnyside you can get a 1bdr for 1400 a month and be in midtown in <15

Old 12-05-2013, 01:28 PM

43,717 posts, read 44,480,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Middle Village!!! Zero nightlife, but cheap as dirt, and there is a movie theater right there. Glendale and Kew Gardens great too. I think there is also movie theater in Sunnyside.
There is a movie theater in Sunnyside on Queens Blvd. and Sunnyside has subway convenient access to Manhattan.

I think that Glendale is a nice neighborhood but doesn't have convenient subway access to Midtown Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City