Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2013, 12:09 PM

22 posts, read 32,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
He's not off base. He enjoys DC better. Its better for him as he is happy there. It may not be better for you, but you and he quite clearly are two different people.
I agree. NYC never was for me, and I didn't enjoy working there. I live in DC now and love it. But that's just my own preference. DC's not for everyone, just like NYC's not for everyone. To each his own, I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 12:53 PM

34,011 posts, read 47,240,427 times
I've been to DC before, the parts of the city that I have seen are nice...it was only a 3 day trip though. I stayed near Thomas Circle.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-13-2013, 04:05 PM

214 posts, read 673,341 times
Isn't OP the one from Michigan, who moved to NYC, lived in a bad hood, disparaged the city to no end, then moved back to Michigan, then to Chicago? What is this with the "3 years" BS?

I think this EastBoundAndDown chick is a troll. She was just living in Chicago less than 6 months ago (supposedly).

Old 12-13-2013, 04:29 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collateral View Post
True story. I was born in NYC and I live in DC now. I'm pretty happy here. It's like a mini New York with a MUCH better subway system.

DC is actually underrated in my opinion. It's off the radar because everyone associates it with the Government. Once you actually live here you barely notice the Government. Its definitely a cleaner and healthier city than NY. You won't age nearly as fast.
Just saw something in the NYT (or was it the WSJ) the week that apparently DC has one of if not the hottest gay "scenes" around. One had no idea.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:32 PM

900 posts, read 2,371,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Just saw something in the NYT (or was it the WSJ) the week that apparently DC has one of if not the hottest gay "scenes" around. One had no idea.
Yep, like the ATL, a lot of men on the dl too.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:18 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:

DC has one of if not the hottest gay "scenes" around.
Just look at the U.S. Congress.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:21 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
I am a native NY'er and also agree with collateral. However I'd like to add something very important to the mix.

When NYC is working for you there is NOTHING like it in the world and you feel like you are living on the peak of a famous mountain top. When NYC has you down you crash HARD. Harder than other places in America. There is no sunny day at the beach if you are broke or social life if you aren't plugged into a group.

It's been getting harder and harder to "spread the wealth" (quality of life) around. It seems like fewer people are enjoying NYC but the ones who do are having a blast and have the whole place to themselves.

I am tired of getting boxed out of things due to pricing or that I don't fit in with whatever crowd is dominating this city right now. I've had an amazing life here but I won't let myself sit around here any longer thinking it will sway my way anytime soon...THE MOVE.
This thread is stupid. There is nothing to be lucky about being born or living in NYC. People are suffering here but also all over the world. I'm glad and lucky to be alive, breathing, cultured have a decent job and a roof over my head. Of course I want more but things take time and in stride to progress. I know for some people on here like 7thfloor and gdale and some locals but also Transplants who thinks NYC is the greatest thing in the history of mankind. Makes me want to vomit and do diarrhea the same time every time someone says NYC is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
And if you move somewhere else you wont get as many variety of restaurants or night life and even less subway service...I see you coming out ahead on only the bananas.
Diversity is growing throughout of America. Next generation of young youths who live in the suburbs will be just as exposed to diversity just as someone living today lets say in the Bronx or Brooklyn. Not advocating suburbs but America is slowly becoming diverse while black and white race dwindles down a bit. As for nightlife, other parts of America blows NYC nightlife out of the water, but however NYC does have a diverse nightlife, one must look and do his or her homework on where she wants to go at night. As for the restaurants? Best to avoid Chinese food restaurants. Remember back in the day these establishments used to cook cat! Or was that an urban myth? But me personally I prefer to cook from the heart and let friends and family enjoy company and warmth. Eating out can be quite expensive here in NYC. If Im not mistaken I think it was Phoenix or San Antonio that has the best restaurant scene in the country, I always assumed NYC King dingaling or restaurant culture in America. What gives?

Old 12-14-2013, 10:17 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Makes me want to vomit and do diarrhea the same time every time someone says NYC is great.
what about diarrhea and run at the same time???

http://i.imgur.com/sYqNmBL.jpg

Old 12-14-2013, 11:10 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
This thread is stupid. There is nothing to be lucky about being born or living in NYC. People are suffering here but also all over the world. I'm glad and lucky to be alive, breathing, cultured have a decent job and a roof over my head. Of course I want more but things take time and in stride to progress. I know for some people on here like 7thfloor and gdale and some locals but also Transplants who thinks NYC is the greatest thing in the history of mankind. Makes me want to vomit and do diarrhea the same time every time someone says NYC is great.

Diversity is growing throughout of America. Next generation of young youths who live in the suburbs will be just as exposed to diversity just as someone living today lets say in the Bronx or Brooklyn. Not advocating suburbs but America is slowly becoming diverse while black and white race dwindles down a bit. As for nightlife, other parts of America blows NYC nightlife out of the water, but however NYC does have a diverse nightlife, one must look and do his or her homework on where she wants to go at night. As for the restaurants? Best to avoid Chinese food restaurants. Remember back in the day these establishments used to cook cat! Or was that an urban myth? But me personally I prefer to cook from the heart and let friends and family enjoy company and warmth. Eating out can be quite expensive here in NYC. If Im not mistaken I think it was Phoenix or San Antonio that has the best restaurant scene in the country, I always assumed NYC King dingaling or restaurant culture in America. What gives?
Wow, you sound as bad as me on the Bronx. LOL. If you feel that way, if you have enough savings to live off for a new months, then just leave. You might send off your resume for a week or so before testing certain job markets. If anything looks promising, just quit your job, pack up and leave, go to your new location and rent a place (a room if you have to or an apartment if you have the resources) until you find a new job. Do not tell anyone, just do it.

You're absolutely right in that suburbs everywhere are diverse. So are rural areas. And you have a number of mixed race children of all times. Every state has its restaurants, anyone who thinks small towns don't have restaurants has never been outside NYC.

With all that said, I don't hate NYC. But I am happy that I have lived in other places, and will be pretty happy to live outside NYC for the next few years. I've been to most states East of the Mississippi River, I've been to the Southwestern states, and I've been to two South American nations (Paraguay and Brazil). Next year I will do more overseas traveling.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:56 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collateral View Post
I think a lot of New Yorkers are full of crap when it comes to how "awesome" it is to live in NYC. Many of them live high stress, unhealthy, sleep deprived, paycheck to paycheck lives. In any other city that would be a miserable existence. But somehow its ok if you live in NYC because.. well... its NYC.

Absurd.

I call it blind pride. Many are proud and don't even know why. Its like you are not allowed to admit your life sucks if you live in NYC.. because that's "impossible" since NYC is so awesome and stuff.

I also like how most New Yorkers like to say: "I could never live anywhere else!" how original. Have you ever tried moron? Then how do you know? Its like someone who only eats Sushi their entire life and says: "I could never eat anything else!" Have you ever tried anything else? Then what are you basing this on?

NYC is definitely a top city and one of the best in the world. I won't deny that. However, I'm not going to pretend the place doesn't have many flaws and issues that make the quality of life rather crappy for a lot of people.

I can say a lot of the things that make NYC awesome are found in other cities and sometimes other cities do it better. New York is awesome but overrated. Its not the city itself that hypes people up as much as the "status" of the city. Its like a name brand city.. and everyone pays extra for that "name" even if the quality isn't much better.
There are some things about NY that really do stand out...the public transportation system being one of them. I've lived in other cities and sometimes and have caught myself wishing I could snap my fingers and make a subway station appear what would take me somewhere for $2.50, or magically make a deli appear so I can order a chicken cutlet on a roll for $6, but most other places just ain't like that. Gotta get in your car and go to WalMart or whatever.

Downside is that it's kind of sucks being white here unless you're some overpaid white collar douche with an ivy league degree who can afford the high life in Manhattan below 96th St. with all the other white people. Culturally it can be a jarring place unless you're the type who's unusually adventurous and comfortable with extreme diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City