Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 01:34 PM

186 posts, read 351,799 times

Advertisements

He will pay more attention to the 99% then the 1%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 01:37 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,320,502 times
NYC needs lots of work done...

-Small & expensive apartments that are old and look like crap aren't really appealing. Especially, when you can move to south for warmer weather, higher pay, bigger homes for less money, etc.

-Green the city

-Sewer system

***What the U.S. really needs to do is put our power lines underground.

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I am hoping he turns his attention (and $$) to developing the 4 other boroughs, and this is some of my wish list:

1. Let's make 125th street a new Central Business District with affordable commercial towers lining 125th for non-profits, entreprenuers, artists, industry incubators, tech firms, green firms, and similar. It should maintain retail on the ground level, and become a great business sector and revenue generator for the city..an affordable business alternate to the high rents in midtown and downtown.

2. Develop the Southern Bronx waterfront into a mixed income community with dense housing towers, retail, commercial space, restaurants, green space, waterfront parks, pedestrian zones. As part of this development, there should also be a commercial business sector as well.

3. Revolutionize sanitation in this city. No longer should we have plastic bags piled 4 feet high crowding the sidewalk, feeding the rats, and ripping open for garbage to fly around the city. There needs to be a massive change in how we collect and dispose of garbage in this city.

4. Invest in major quality of life initiatives that have been very successful in Manhattan and expand them into the 4 other boroughs, including protected bike lanes, pedestrian plazas, traffic mitigating streetscapes, dedicated recycling garbage cans, and new parks/upgraded parks.

5. Eliminate S&F and engage in community oriented policing based on the needs of particular areas. Increase foot patrols and police presence in the handful of communities which drive crime in NYC, instead of casting nets and arresting everyone for the crime of being outside. Retrain the department to understand that their role is to protect and serve the public, not to instill fear and subjugate. Adding cameras on clothing for all police officers would eliminate many issues on both sides.

6. Destroy Laguardia airport and start over, preferably somewhere in South Brooklyn. The airport is horrendous, poorly served by public transportation, and is dangerous!

7. Invest in the existing public housing stock (specifically the housing projects), and provide a better QOL for residents. If it means rents must increase, so be it. We cannot have dilapidated public housing which is not only dangerous for residents and an eyesore for the city, but also the disinivestment directly/indirectly leads to a major crime driver for the city.

8. Continue the aggressive expansion of affordable housing, except make it affordable to middle income residents who earn from $60,000-$120,000 (based on family size). These are the people leaving the city in droves for lack of quality affordable housing and the residents we most need to stay.

9. Push the green agenda, put solar panels and wind turbines on all public/government buildings and housing projects, and lure as many green jobs and developments as possible.

10. Diversify the economic engine of NYC away from finance/stock market, and disseminate these new industries to the other 4 boroughs so they each have their own distinct economic drivers/generators.

11. Expanding select bus service, dedicated bus lanes, light rail/street cars, and train service linking Bronx/Queens/Brooklyn directly should be developed.

If we could move forward with even 1/2 of these his term will be wildly successful in a way that Bloomberg's never was.
Tried to rep you, but it said I needed to spread it around. Weird. Haven't been on here for awhile, so I thought it would "forget". Lol

I do agree that he's going to have a long road ahead of him trying to fix the outerboroughs. One thing I will say for DiBlasio is that he stayed in contact with the "other New York" throughout his political career. He knows what needs to be done and I hope he gets a chance to implement it.

Bloomberg couldn't even bring himself back from his vacation to check on the people who go hurt in the massive metro north train crash. In HIS mind, if it's not in MANHATTAN, then it's not his problem. He does not and has never cared about the working class stiffs.

1,616 posts, read 2,488,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
My predictions:

1- restaurants will once again be able to donate food to the city's shelters LIKE THEY DO IN OTHER CITIES

2- food sold in those little stores in city agencies will be able to sell FATTENING snacks and food once again.

3- everything that old man did to set the outerboroughs back 50 years will now be overridden

4- I believe funds will be found again to help place homeless families to get apartments again rather than staying in a shelter for the rest of their lives like that miserable old out of touch man was happy doing.

I really do believe there should be an age limit on people to keep or have certain types of positions. If they're stuck in a timewarp and/or refuse to move into the current decade or century, then they should be forced from their positions and put out to pasteur.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:40 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
NYC needs lots of work done...

-Small & expensive apartments that are old and look like crap aren't really appealing. Especially, when you can move to south for warmer weather, higher pay, bigger homes for less money, etc.
NYC apartment BATHROOMS are the WORST in every city I've ever visited. I don't care how much you're paying in rent, the bathrooms ALWAYS have something wrong with them and trying to get the LL or super to fix them is like pulling teeth.

Most people in other cities don't experience this. How can you gladly pay more than a $1,000 in rent to live in an apartment with horrible bathroom and don't force to landlord to fix it?

Old 01-01-2014, 02:20 PM

559 posts, read 1,111,263 times
I have great hopes for the new mayor. I am an old man and wish to recapture the excitement of my youth. Ah, New York was wonderful then. Crime and grime, drugs and dirt, urine and blood on the streets. Times Square was real, and not the Disney zone that it is now. De Blasio will bring all that back. God bless him.

Old 01-01-2014, 02:24 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
I agree you are an old man and clearly senile. Make sure you take your pills, change your diapers, and 2 scoops of metamucil with your Ensure gramps.

Old 01-01-2014, 02:33 PM

112 posts, read 352,449 times
I predict he will negotiate with the UFT to give NYC teachers a fair contract that will include much deserved and well overdue pay raises. Teachers have gone without an increase in salary for far too long while the cost of living here has skyrocketed.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:44 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,488,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanintllctl View Post
I have great hopes for the new mayor. I am an old man and wish to recapture the excitement of my youth. Ah, New York was wonderful then. Crime and grime, drugs and dirt, urine and blood on the streets. Times Square was real, and not the Disney zone that it is now. De Blasio will bring all that back. God bless him.
Don't know if you are being sarcastic or not, but the "New Breed" don't realize that New York was a lot less threatening to the average person than the modern one is. Time will tell (It kind of already is).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I agree you are an old man and clearly senile. Make sure you take your pills, change your diapers, and 2 scoops of metamucil with your Ensure gramps.
Do you make the recommendation from experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediumrare View Post
I predict he will negotiate with the UFT to give NYC teachers a fair contract that will include much deserved and well overdue pay raises. Teachers have gone without an increase in salary for far too long while the cost of living here has skyrocketed.
Oh boy, are you in trouble now!!!! The right wing cockroaches are going to come after you with a vengeance! The audacity suggesting that the teachers (!) get paid fairly!!! If we use money to pay teachers, how will all the phony consultants and testing companies get paid????!!!!

Old 01-01-2014, 03:57 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Hoping like hell that he'll stop any MTA fare increases.

That's one reason I despised Bloomberg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City