Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 06:25 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamirD View Post
I was actually thinking about an idea for a machine that would suck up snow and convert it back into water (which takes up less space). Then they could just 'vacuum' up the snow, return the water to the sewer system, and the streets wouldn't have piles of snow.

After seeing the almost 30ft high piles in mall parking lots around here and hearing about possible demand in NYC for such a machine, I think it's time for me to get to work on it.
Rather than pay for and deploy 100s of these machines in NYC for a one or two time per year event, it's more cost effective to use dump trucks to drop the snow in the harbor. Which still isn't cost effective as our snow usually melts in 48 hours anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 10:21 AM

283 posts, read 434,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Rather than pay for and deploy 100s of these machines in NYC for a one or two time per year event, it's more cost effective to use dump trucks to drop the snow in the harbor. Which still isn't cost effective as our snow usually melts in 48 hours anyway.
I don't think 100s of them would be necessary. If there was a way to retrofit them to an existing vehicle, like a garbage truck, you can suck in the snow and put the water in the back until the weight limit. Dump it and then just do it again.

I've been thinking of ways to use snow for something purposeful. There's so much of it around here in Milwaukee that you could build houses out of it!

Old 01-10-2014, 10:53 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,993,550 times
Quote:
I don't think 100s of them would be necessary. If there was a way to retrofit them to an existing vehicle, like a garbage truck, you can suck in the snow and put the water in the back until the weight limit. Dump it and then just do it again.

I've been thinking of ways to use snow for something purposeful. There's so much of it around here in Milwaukee that you could build houses out of it!

Do you really want to compare New York City with Milwaukee ? Are you serious.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:49 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,907,340 times
Milwaukee is a giant parking lot.
there's just no comparison.

Btw, what a debacle this thread was!

Old 01-10-2014, 01:08 PM

5,210 posts, read 4,672,866 times
Quote:

Except you still have to dump it into the river because if you just dump the water anywhere and the temperature is still below freezing, you will just create giant sheets of ice. Essentially you want to heat the outside during the winter which cannot possibly be energy or cost efficient.

Why are there fewer spaces to park during a snow storm? The answer should be obvious but let me spell it out. On a normal day with no snow, cars on the side that don't have to move still move because people use their cars to go to work, visit others or go to stores with parking lots. On a snow day, they don't move because people won't want to dig out their cars or drive in nasty conditions. So besides the snow physically taking up space, cars that normally would have moved won't. The reason ASP is suspended is because the city at least has the heart to recognize there are not enough parking spaces in general. Why do you think ASP days change every few blocks? Wouldn't it be more efficient for an entire neighborhood to have the same ASP days as far as street cleaning goes? This is so people may find parking reasonably close if they just drive a few blocks away. If the only concern was efficient snow cleaning without any regard to the reality of parking spaces, the city could have just mandated that only one side of the street can be parked on at all times.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:10 PM

283 posts, read 434,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmin View Post
Do you really want to compare New York City with Milwaukee ? Are you serious.
Perfect NY snobbiness.

After living in both, there's so many similarities it's not even funny. But stay over there because this city is nice and needs to stay that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Milwaukee is a giant parking lot.
there's just no comparison.
I guess it is if all you're looking for is parking.

The cities have a lot of the same things--good food, great entertainment, the water. Sure, there's 10x more of it in NYC, but there's a lot of problems that don't exist here. But like I said, stay over there because this city is nice and needs to stay that way.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:19 PM

Bump this puppy just for the fun of it.

Maybe someone else wants to explain the city's snow policy to the OP.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:45 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
I think NYC has the laziest people, there are so many people living 5mi radius all they need to do is get out and shovel and the streets will be cleared quicker than those overpaid sanitation workers.

Back on my old block Kew Gardens the people in the hood are so good at shoveling and plowing we had our own street cleared before the sanitation workers get there because parking is so hard to find we all go out to shovel to get a parking spot.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:46 AM

The snow is fairly slushy but they still suspended alternative-side parking regulations for today.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:28 PM

61 posts, read 104,697 times
Where is everyone supposed to put said cars in order for them to clean the streets? It's not like alternate side parking street cleaning. Plus this is the only time that everyone who has a driveway keeps thwir car out o the street so they wont have issues getting in and out of their driveway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City