Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 01:48 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,722,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac2004 View Post
Everyone here is saying that a 2BD or 1BD with an office is pretty slim with that budget. How about a large one bedroom (like over 1000 sq feet) with no office? Is that more or less the same?
If you are planning on moving to NYC you should take the words like "Large" and "Big" out of your vocabulary as they will be nothing like what you are expecting.

A "large" one bedroom, is like 700 sq ft here.

Just to give you an idea (because I don't care about giving out this type of information) I pay 1450 a month for a 1bdr that is ~600 sqft in sunnyside queens. It's 15 minutes to Manhattan, but to your work would be a 45 minute ish trip due to transfers and waiting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 01:59 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,992,050 times
Quote:
Everyone here is saying that a 2BD or 1BD with an office is pretty slim with that budget. How about a large one bedroom (like over 1000 sq feet) with no office? Is that more or less the same?

You might save a little in the fact that it is not marketed as a 2 bedroom but location in the city is
much more important in price, It depends on where you look. but almost anywhere these days 1500 is very low for anything decent. As for the suggestion that you have your children in Chicago and waiting till you make 200,000 good luck with that. The most important part of your presentation is that your wife's parents are here and when having children that is the most important thing IMO. Having your in laws close if possible is a great aid for new mothers.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:04 PM

106 posts, read 173,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
Honestly it sounds like a terrible idea. If you are looking to start a family soon, that is a happy and wonderful thing but it is laden with major STRESS. Moving to a new place is also obviously a huge source of stress. Why would you add to an already difficult situation? The NYC rental market is absolutely nothing like the Chicago rental market. No one markets an apartment as a 'one bedroom with an office'. Even if it's the size of a broom closet, it's a bedroom. Maybe this is harsh and just my personal view, but you'd be better off staying there and letting your wife focus on raising your planned children. You have to think of them and their well-being. They'd be better any day of the week moving out to a Chicago suburb where their mom can relax and they can just focus on being kids. And if you've progressed in your career by that point to where you are making 200K+ and become more familiarized with the city a few years down the road... that would be a more appropriate time to look into relocation. You cannot just consider the rent alone. You also have to consider the cost of decent schools. Really, it sounds like you need marriage counseling. Are you unhappy with Chicago, your spouse, or both?
I have no idea what you are implying, and you are coming off as exceptionally rude. I have no issue with Chicago, but due to the Education System here, it is going to be hard for my wife to get work (they have closed many many CPS Schools this year alone). It isn't just about me, its about us, and Chicago doesn't work well for US.

You talk about a low stress environment for my wife raising children, but she wants to be close to her mother, which is more than understandable for a first time mom.

As for needing marriage counseling, I hope that whomever in your life is as happy to have you that I am with my wife. She is in my opinion, the only person on this Earth who truly gets me and we would do anything for each other, hence why she had no issue moving from Milwaukee to Chicago because I had a great opportunity some time back, and why I have no concern about moving to New York so she can be closer to her family.

Maybe if you spent your energy in recommending living options as my post requested and so many generous people already have, instead of making preconceived notions, maybe I would appreciate your advice a little more.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:17 PM

370 posts, read 624,364 times
Unfortunately, your budget is not very realistic. I have two very good friends who live on the Upper West Side, one pays $2000 for a 500 sq ft one bedroom in a walk-up and the other pays $3000 for a 600 sq ft 1 bedroom with a doorman, elevator building. A relative of mine lives near 14th and 8th and has a 650-ish sq ft 1 bedroom in a walk-up for $2500 but has lived there for 6 or 7 years now. I think you should go with someone's suggestion of Jersey.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photostoresheila View Post
Unfortunately, your budget is not very realistic. I have two very good friends who live on the Upper West Side, one pays $2000 for a 500 sq ft one bedroom in a walk-up and the other pays $3000 for a 600 sq ft 1 bedroom with a doorman, elevator building. A relative of mine lives near 14th and 8th and has a 650-ish sq ft 1 bedroom in a walk-up for $2500 but has lived there for 6 or 7 years now. I think you should go with someone's suggestion of Jersey.
Thanks, I am starting to lean that way too. Is that in a different forum, or are those kinds of questions answered here?

Old 01-14-2014, 02:25 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,247,844 times
Quote:
Hello,

I am starting a new job here in Chicago that has authorized a move to New York City whenever I want (its consulting), and I am interested in where I should be looking at. My wife and I have two cats, but will be starting a family soon and she wants to be closer to her parents (they live by Lincoln Center) when we have kids.

My salary will be $82,500 (not sure if I can get a cost of living increase when I move, but I will try), and my wife is currently not employed, but has a teaching degree so she will be looking at those kinds of jobs before we actually "make the decision".

We currently live in a smaller 2 bedroom (900 sq feet) and we pay $1250 a month and free street parking (we own a car, but will probably sell it if we move), and I would live something similar, maybe a little bigger, and a budget of at most $1,500 (not sure how reasonable that is).

The office is in Manhattan (W 13th and 8th) so I would be looking to live somewhere along the L subway line if it's too far to walk or quick bus (figuring where the office is, that seems likely).

Here is the "type" of apartment we are looking for

2 bedroom, or 1 bedroom with office
100 sq feet or larger
pet friendly
dishwasher included
in-unit laundry (not a huge thing, but a preference, we are open to not having this)

I hope I provided enough information, please let me know if any more info is needed.

Thanks!
Your budget is too low for renting. NYC housing price is very high and near all time high for both renting and owning. Whether you are looking for 900 sq ft 1bedroom or 900 sq ft 2bedroom that won't matter much because it is the sq ft that is precious in NYC area. If you want laundry in unit, you need to look for newer rental luxury buildings. Otherwise it will be difficult to get laundry in unit. That means you pay premium to live in luxury building.

For example, I rent 900 sq ft 1bedroom in luxury building 5min by foot from Grove Street Path station in Jersey City. I have laundry in unit and gym. No parking, parking lot will be extra and will run anywhere between 150 to 300 a month. I moved to JC because my 400 sq ft studio in Downtown Brooklyn raised their rent from 2100 to 2300.

As for tax burden for renter is actually less if you live in NJ because you will not pay NYC income tax which is 2-4%. If you live in one of the five boroughs (Queens, Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Staten Island), you must pay NYC income tax. If you live outside of it, you do not.

Based on where you work, if you live in NJ town with Path access. That'd be very awesome because it is quick and lower monthly unlimited.

Another option is that you need to live much further away like in Queens and your commute will go up to probably 1 to 1.5 hour door to door. Brooklyn is very hot and parts of it are more expensive than Manhattan for renting.

It sounds crazy but to maintain your living standard in Chicago at 82.5k, you probably need to make 125k+ and you live in Queens. Public school system sucks so most families end up moving to better school districts aka burbs or NJ and do longer commute. If you do live in Queens and you have a child, you will need a car.

Good luck.

Edit: You basically need to up your budget to at least 1700 and remove expectation of laundry in unit plus live in Queens or NJ. It won't be in luxury building either.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
Your budget is too low for renting. NYC housing price is very high and near all time high for both renting and owning. Whether you are looking for 900 sq ft 1bedroom or 900 sq ft 2bedroom that won't matter much because it is the sq ft that is precious in NYC area. If you want laundry in unit, you need to look for newer rental luxury buildings. Otherwise it will be difficult to get laundry in unit. That means you pay premium to live in luxury building.

For example, I rent 900 sq ft 1bedroom in luxury building 5min by foot from Grove Street Path station in Jersey City. I have laundry in unit and gym. No parking, parking lot will be extra and will run anywhere between 150 to 300 a month. I moved to JC because my 400 sq ft studio in Downtown Brooklyn raised their rent from 2100 to 2300.

As for tax burden for renter is actually less if you live in NJ because you will not pay NYC income tax which is 2-4%. If you live in one of the five boroughs (Queens, Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Staten Island), you must pay NYC income tax. If you live outside of it, you do not.

Based on where you work, if you live in NJ town with Path access. That'd be very awesome because it is quick and lower monthly unlimited.

Another option is that you need to live much further away like in Queens and your commute will go up to probably 1 to 1.5 hour door to door. Brooklyn is very hot and parts of it are more expensive than Manhattan for renting.

It sounds crazy but to maintain your living standard in Chicago at 82.5k, you probably need to make 125k+ and you live in Queens. Public school system sucks so most families end up moving to better school districts aka burbs or NJ and do longer commute. If you do live in Queens and you have a child, you will need a car.

Good luck.

Edit: You basically need to up your budget to at least 1700 and remove expectation of laundry in unit plus live in Queens or NJ. It won't be in luxury building either.

Thanks this super helpful! I think NJ sounds like a better option unless I get some cost of living bump, which I obviously cannot bank on. I have done the Path from Jersey City to that area and your right, its pretty quick. So should I move my question to the NJ forum?

Old 01-14-2014, 02:34 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times
Quote:
New York apartments, unless you want a very long and awkward commute, are small and expensive. I know people who pay $1,500 for a studio in Queens. You really should be razing your budget and lowering your square footage. The New York rental market is at least double what is in Chicago for a comparable apartment. You must make a huge compromise/sacrifice somewhere.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:43 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Do your wife's parents drive? If so, I would look at at Riverdale for your needs. The commute to work will be longer, but her mother would be 15-20 minutes away by car, via the Henry Hudson Parkway. Riverdale is a stable area, and your budget is not too out of line with a family building or a small multi-family apartment building. $1500 might be a tad low, but for a JR4 or a 1BR with alcove, you should have some decent options.

The subway is not in the majority if the neighborhood, so you would have to take a bus/walk (depending upon part of neighborhood) and then take the 1-train. Express buses serve Midtown and Lower Manhattan, though the BxM18 to Lower Manhattan is rush only. Metro-North to GCT to the subway is another option.

You could easily keep your car in Riverdale, making it easier for your wife to get to her parents, and for tasks like shopping and such. Your wife would also be close to Westchester, where she may find a teaching position within an easy drive.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-14-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Do your wife's parents drive? If so, I would look at at Riverdale for your needs. The commute to work will be longer, but her mother would be 15-20 minutes away by car, via the Henry Hudson Parkway. Riverdale is a stable area, and your budget is not too out of line with a family building or a small multi-family apartment building. $1500 might be a tad low, but for a JR4 or a 1BR with alcove, you should have some decent options.

The subway is not in the majority if the neighborhood, so you would have to take a bus/walk (depending upon part of neighborhood) and then take the 1-train. Express buses serve Midtown and Lower Manhattan, though the BxM18 to Lower Manhattan is rush only. Metro-North to GCT to the subway is another option.

You could easily keep your car in Riverdale, making it easier for your wife to get to her parents, and for tasks like shopping and such. Your wife would also be close to Westchester, where she may find a teaching position within an easy drive.
Thanks, we will look at that option. Is the 1.25 hour commute on the 1 train pretty accurate ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City