Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 02:56 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times

Advertisements

You could find a true 2BR/1BA for $1200-$1300 in fringe areas like Kew Gardens (Richmond Hill side), North Richmond Hill, Glendale, Fresh Meadows, North Flushing, East Elmhurst, Jackson Heights (not in the historic district), Ozone Park and Middle Village. There are also areas in Richmond Hill that you could settle for. Maybe even parts of Staten Island. This would be in a multi-family home, not a building.

The catch is that transportation options are challenging (like no subways nearby) but there are ways around it. Some areas are served by express bus. Others you can take a regular bus to the subways. Some have livery cabs plying the streets in the rush hour that you can hail. I used to rent in Kew Gardens near the Richmond Hill border and occasionally I would walk 10 to 12 minutes to the LIRR station. It's not convenient but there are options with your budget other than renting a shoebox. Since you don't have kids, you can do this as a stepping stone until you get an increase in pay hopefully after a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 03:02 PM

106 posts, read 173,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
You could find a true 2BR/1BA for $1200-$1300 in fringe areas like Kew Gardens (Richmond Hill side), North Richmond Hill, Glendale, Fresh Meadows, North Flushing, East Elmhurst, Jackson Heights (not in the historic district) and Middle Village. There are also areas in Richmond Hill that you could settle for. Maybe even parts of Staten Island. This would be in a multi-family home, not a building.

The catch is that transportation options are challenging (like no subways nearby) but there are ways around it. Some areas are served by express bus. Others you can take a regular bus to the subways. Some have livery cabs plying the streets in the rush hour that you can hail. I used to rent in Kew Gardens near the Richmond Hill border and occasionally I would walk 10 to 12 minutes to the LIRR station. It's not convenient but there are options with your budget other than renting a shoebox. Since you don't have kids, you can do this as a stepping stone until you get an increase in pay hopefully after a few years.
So you would walk to the Jamaica E Line Stop and get to Manhattan that way? Google says thats like 45 minutes, is that pretty accurate?

Old 01-14-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac2004 View Post
So you would walk to the Jamaica E Line Stop and get to Manhattan that way? Google says thats like 45 minutes, is that pretty accurate?
I tried walking to the E but eventually got tired of it so I just walked to the LIRR which was halfway in between. I think the E train is about 30 mins to the east side of Manhattan at Lex.

However in that part of Kew Gardens (which is near Richmond Hill) there are lots of livery cabs plying Lefferts that pick up people for shared rides in the rush hour and take them to the Union Turnpike E subway. The cab cost $2 a person. I could have done this as an alternative but I got too comfy with the LIRR which was a 20 minute ride to Penn.

Another alternative is to walk to Jamaica and Lefferts and take the QM18 express bus to midtown. Also the Q10 bus traverses Lefferts and drops off at the E stop but they occasionally get crowded in the morning.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
I tried walking to the E but eventually got tired of it so I just walked to the LIRR which was halfway in between. I think the E train is about 30 mins to the east side of Manhattan at Lex.

However in that part of Kew Gardens (which is near Richmond Hill) there are lots of livery cabs plying Lefferts that pick up people for shared rides in the rush hour and take them to the Union Turnpike E subway. The cab cost $2 a person. I could have done this as an alternative but I got too comfy with the LIRR which was a 20 minute ride to Penn.

Another alternative is to walk to Jamaica and Lefferts and take the QM18 express bus to midtown. Also the Q10 bus traverses Lefferts and drops off at the E stop but they occasionally get crowded in the morning.
Cool, this is great info. My only concern with the LIRR is the cost, since I would be commuting. Looking at the website its like 150+ a month. Than I would need a Metro card as well to get around the other PT options.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:17 PM

5,125 posts, read 4,972,569 times
Quote:
I have no idea what you are implying, and you are coming off as exceptionally rude. I have no issue with Chicago, but due to the Education System here, it is going to be hard for my wife to get work (they have closed many many CPS Schools this year alone). It isn't just about me, its about us, and Chicago doesn't work well for US.

You talk about a low stress environment for my wife raising children, but she wants to be close to her mother, which is more than understandable for a first time mom.

As for needing marriage counseling, I hope that whomever in your life is as happy to have you that I am with my wife. She is in my opinion, the only person on this Earth who truly gets me and we would do anything for each other, hence why she had no issue moving from Milwaukee to Chicago because I had a great opportunity some time back, and why I have no concern about moving to New York so she can be closer to her family.

Maybe if you spent your energy in recommending living options as my post requested and so many generous people already have, instead of making preconceived notions, maybe I would appreciate your advice a little more.

It is worrisome that you started an instant fight with one of your future fellow residents in NYC before you even have an idea where to live in NY. Are you sure that you could cope with living here in the future? There are a lot of barbarians loose on the streets everywhere in NYC---they do not hide from normal humans as those in Chicago...think it over before you sign the lease, LOL.

If I were you and am burning to move to NYC on that budget, I would look into Kensington/Midwood sections in Brooklyn, which are quiet, safe and with 30-45 min of commuting time to lower manhattan.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Cool, this is great info. My only concern with the LIRR is the cost, since I would be commuting. Looking at the website its like 150+ a month. Than I would need a Metro card as well to get around the other PT options.
You can take the livery then to the E for $2/ride in the morning, or the Q10 bus. I also forgot to mention that it's also walkable to the J/Z subway which I did not ride at the time. Also you can take the reverse Q10 which is not crowded in the morning to catch the A train in Lefferts & Liberty. This would also be an option if you live in the Ozone Park and Richmond Hill areas near Lefferts.

The other places I mentioned also have their own transportation intricacies. Like in Fresh Meadows and Glen Oaks, your only option will be the QM express bus to the city.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
You can take the livery then to the E for $2/ride in the morning, or the Q10 bus. I also forgot to mention that it's also walkable to the J/Z subway which I did not ride at the time. Also you can take the reverse Q10 which is not crowded in the morning to catch the A train in Lefferts & Liberty. This would also be an option if you live in the Ozone Park and Richmond Hill areas near Lefferts.

The other places I mentioned also have their own transportation intricacies. Like in Fresh Meadows and Glen Oaks, your only option will be the QM express bus to the city.
My head is going to explode with all these different forms of public transportation

Old 01-14-2014, 03:28 PM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
I would suggest checking out Rego Park in Queens as a possibility to get a decent sized one bedroom apt. on your potential budget.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:29 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,993,550 times
Quote:
I have no idea what you are implying, and you are coming off as exceptionally rude. I have no issue with Chicago, but due to the Education System here, it is going to be hard for my wife to get work (they have closed many many CPS Schools this year alone). It isn't just about me, its about us, and Chicago doesn't work well for US.

You talk about a low stress environment for my wife raising children, but she wants to be close to her mother, which is more than understandable for a first time mom.

As for needing marriage counseling, I hope that whomever in your life is as happy to have you that I am with my wife. She is in my opinion, the only person on this Earth who truly gets me and we would do anything for each other, hence why she had no issue moving from Milwaukee to Chicago because I had a great opportunity some time back, and why I have no concern about moving to New York so she can be closer to her family.

Maybe if you spent your energy in recommending living options as my post requested and so many generous people already have, instead of making preconceived notions, maybe I would appreciate your advice a little more.
I was going to respond to that post but you beat me to it and you did a great job calling it out.
That's how I ended up in New York from Boston and we are the grandparents. I understand fully and I think your wife is a very smart woman and you will be the hero here as long as you have the flexibility to do so. That post is exactly what is wrong with younger people they value career more than family these days. I think that the New York Public school system may not be much better though when it comes to openings but it is a rolling situation from year to year. Have your mother
in law call me I can let her know what the going rate is for baby sitting grandchildren in New York City.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:42 PM

20 posts, read 43,105 times
anywhere in Manhattan except Wash Heights, most of Harlem. but its all $$$

Brooklyn has nice spots. Probally the best bet.

Riverdale is less than 1.25 hour commute. maybe 1 hr But you have to factor in getting to the 1 from wherever you are in Riverdale. The trains a much better commute than NJT. They have express bus service as well. The 1 line is also safe (relatively speaking).

Probably not Jersey. Maybe Hoboken.

Stay away from L.I......the commute is horrendous, the people are awful, and the place just generally sucks. It's worse than you can imagine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City