Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2013, 05:18 AM

579 posts, read 945,817 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/06/re...the-bronx.html

Interesting interview with a Bronx developer. I think he's spot on about where he sees the borough going and what's been going on to date. However, I think his is a bit short sighted. He has been concentrting on low and middle income housing which while certainly need in this city, neighborhoods are much better when all types of people live in them. I think developers should consider buiulding some upper income housing in the Bronx as well in the neighborhoods he mentions as improving, not just in Riverdale where most of this housing is now. For example, he mentions the West Bronx, partcularly the Fordham area and Melrose. I am in these neighborhoods quite often and to me they would be great places to build some upper income condos/rentals and/or hotels similar to what's been happening in Harlem. The proximity to transportation especially the Metro-North and the subways make these areas quite liveable. What's missing is the higher end retail but that doesn't exist in Harlem yet either. I recognize it might be speculative but what I've seen in NYC over the years is that if you build it they will come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 05:14 PM

29 posts, read 77,643 times
The South Bronx has generally been redeveloped by a host of public programs . From Charlott's Gardens (1980) to lihtc (1986-present). There has been limited risk on the part of the development community and I don't see that changing, en masse, until all city-owned developable sites are built.

Prior to the mortgage meltdown, small developers built 2-3 family homes on any available lot because of lack of publicly subsidized inventory and easy mortgage financing. Some of those homes not sit vacant or have been converted to Section 8 rentals.

Bottom line, you need a strong market to absorb market-rate housing in large scale. Developers are not going to take that risk if there are public funded (risk free) developments available.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:23 PM

One more thought, middle-income rentals (100% AMI) in the South Bronx have been difficult to lease as the 1 br rents are $1200+ and 2 br are $1500+.

Developers were able to absorb this risk by reducing rents to stabilize the initial leasing due to subsidies. In a market-rate scenario, a foreclosure would begin.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:47 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
The article isn't just about the South Bronx, it is about the entire borough, so how one portion of the Bronx (Southern) developed has no bearing on the rest. However, the Southern portion of the borough has seen some high end market rate development which sold for record prices, including the Bronx Bricks development...these loft condos sold for between $400K and $800K. I do agree however that we should have more higher end developments, but at this time there isn't an appetite yet for it on the locations they are building. When they begin developing on the Southern Bronx waterfront with views of Manhattan is when you will see the high end market rate development. The rezoning has already been done, and the plan is already approved by the community board so it should break ground and convert all those warehouses along the waterfront into a new dense, urban oasis...my guess is within 7 years.

As a LL in the Southern Bronx I can tell you that at no time have I ever had trouble renting apts to working tenants for market rents, including 2 beds for $1,500...where are you getting this information from?

Old 01-27-2014, 10:47 PM

Pardon Sobro, I was referencing large-scale developments who market with HPD lotteries not individual LL's.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:44 PM

770 posts, read 1,131,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrang View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/06/re...the-bronx.html

Interesting interview with a Bronx developer. I think he's spot on about where he sees the borough going and what's been going on to date. However, I think his is a bit short sighted. He has been concentrting on low and middle income housing which while certainly need in this city, neighborhoods are much better when all types of people live in them. I think developers should consider buiulding some upper income housing in the Bronx as well in the neighborhoods he mentions as improving, not just in Riverdale where most of this housing is now. For example, he mentions the West Bronx, partcularly the Fordham area and Melrose. I am in these neighborhoods quite often and to me they would be great places to build some upper income condos/rentals and/or hotels similar to what's been happening in Harlem. The proximity to transportation especially the Metro-North and the subways make these areas quite liveable. What's missing is the higher end retail but that doesn't exist in Harlem yet either. I recognize it might be speculative but what I've seen in NYC over the years is that if you build it they will come.

Thanks Pietrang.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City