Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 09:34 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I posted a week or so ago about how safe the subway was, but I have since decided against flying up to NYC and renting a car due to my age (24) and the surcharges that coming with being a renter under 25, making it more cost effective for me to drive up.

As I said before, I haven't been to New York since 2005. I have a special lady in my life who will be with her family in the South Bronx while she's on spring break from college. We're planning on spending a day in Central Park together followed by dinner afterwards. I'll be driving up to Connecticut the following day to visit family

So here are my questions

Will my car with a Florida plate be safe if its parked in the South Bronx? As long as I dont leave anything visible in the car it wont get broken into right?

Is parking in Manhattan real expensive? Anything convenient to Central Park?

Are there any good romantic restaurants near Central Park that wont cost me an arm and leg?
Lol. Florida plates are everywhere in this city. IN some neighborhoods it's not rare to see practically every state plate except NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 09:35 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,569,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Take the M60 from Laguardia. It travels into Manhattan and all the way across 125th st, where you can catch the 4,5,6 at Lexington Ave, the 2 at Lenox Ave, the B or D trains at St. Nicholas Ave, and the No.1 at Broadway. All go to different parts of the Bronx. All are cheaper than a taxi.

As to special restaurants near the Park there are a zillion of them and it all depends on location and budget. But if you want to splurge I'd recommend the Central Park Boathouuse, which is inside the Park and VERY romantic.
The Loeb Boathouse Central Park
Im looking at it now, I've done searching on yelp already and I couldn't really find anything under "romantic" and close to Central Park other than the Boathouse

The Boathouse looks really promising. I cant wait for this trip now

Old 02-11-2014, 07:11 AM

993 posts, read 1,384,656 times
Boathouse is inside the park, so that could work.

Also try this NYC Restaurants, New York City Restaurants & NYC Dining | OpenTable

With their menu, look for a neighborhood alongside Central Park, for example, Upper West Side or Upper East Side or Lincoln Square (near Columbus Circle, in other words). Anything on 5th, 7th or 8th Avenue will be on or near Central Park, as long as you hit between the correct cross-streets that include the park (check your map). Also, a restaurant on a number street (such as West 68th Street, for example) could be within a half-block of Central Park. Maybe someone here can advise you on how the grid addresses are a tipoff to location. That's higher math for me.

The restaurant website I offered has the advantage of showing you many pricepoints, and who has open reservations by date, without phoning all around. GL

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 02-11-2014 at 07:30 AM..

Old 02-11-2014, 07:15 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
The Boathouse looks really promising.
Bring a boatload of money

Old 02-11-2014, 07:25 AM

993 posts, read 1,384,656 times
Yes, that's the "promising" part.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:00 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,569,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Bring a boatload of money
Lol its actually not as expensive as I thought when I looked at the menu

Looks like Dinner for 2 would run me about $150 including drinks....thats the max I'd be willing to spend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City