Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 08:45 AM

943 posts, read 1,198,778 times

Advertisements

An Update from Thread: Settling Down in NYC (Manhattan) ** Please Read Basic Facts & Situation **

I have decided to drop the idea of buying an apartment (condo) and have directed by realtor to start searching for brownstones in Northern Manhattan (Washington Heights and Morningside Heights) and also for detached houses in the outer boroughs (Brooklyn Heights).

I have also been clearly informed of my current options due to my financial situation. I have found out that at this present time I am unable to purchase any property outside of New York State, so I've had to knock off potential areas of the list such as Jersey City and Hoboken.

I have a few questions relating to specific neighborhoods, and some general questions:
  • [Northern Section of Brooklyn Heights] If I moved to this area should I expect drunkards at night, and to be begged for money by homeless people when I step outside of my house?
  • [Northern Section of Brooklyn Heights] How safe is this neighborhood, on a scale of 1-10?
  • If you own a property in New York City, is it considerably easier to get approved to own a firearm? (Note: I'm not knowledgable about NY gun laws, I just know it's more restrictive than NV)
  • [Northern Section of Brooklyn Heights] During Hurricane Sandy and Irene, how badly did this neighborhood and surrording areas get hit?
  • If you owned your property, could you live in this city on $30,000 per year (post-tax, not including property taxes)?

Also: No trolling, insults or wise-guy answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 09:02 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Not sure you'll find a detached house in Brooklyn Heights.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Not sure you'll find a detached house in Brooklyn Heights.
My realtor has found a very nice detached house in BH, that's what's sparked my interest in the neighborhood.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous725 View Post
My realtor has found a very nice detached house in BH, that's what's sparked my interest in the neighborhood.
Very rare find, but guess there is one or two of them.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:26 AM

445 posts, read 1,448,973 times
Are you sure it's Brooklyn Heights? As G-Dale said, there are not many detached houses in Brooklyn Heights. I also wonder because there's a big price differential between property in Washington Heights/Morningside Heights and Brooklyn Heights. One of these things is not like the other. Brooklyn Heights is one of the most expensive neighborhoods in Brooklyn.

Brooklyn Heights is a safe neighborhood. The main retail stretch is Montague Street which IMO is boring. There are beautiful brownstones but like I said, not much in the way of detached houses. There is not a lot of nightlife, so I doubt you'd be bothered by drunkards and homeless people.

Brooklyn Heights is not in a flood zone and was not affected by Hurricane Sandy. There are some areas by the East River in DUMBO which were affected. The River Cafe, for instance, was closed for many months. But Brooklyn Heights proper is at a higher elevation.

When you say "North Brooklyn Heights", are you referring to the area bordering DUMBO?

I own my property and I think I'd want a bit more than $30K a year to feel secure. When you're a homeowner, there are always repairs, especially with an old house. For example, we spent $50K on a new roof last year (including asbestos removal).

Old 02-20-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillife View Post
Are you sure it's Brooklyn Heights? As G-Dale said, there are not many detached houses in Brooklyn Heights. I also wonder because there's a big price differential between property in Washington Heights/Morningside Heights and Brooklyn Heights. One of these things is not like the other. Brooklyn Heights is one of the most expensive neighborhoods in Brooklyn.

Brooklyn Heights is a safe neighborhood. The main retail stretch is Montague Street which IMO is boring. There are beautiful brownstones but like I said, not much in the way of detached houses. There is not a lot of nightlife, so I doubt you'd be bothered by drunkards and homeless people.

Brooklyn Heights is not in a flood zone and was not affected by Hurricane Sandy. There are some areas by the East River in DUMBO which were affected. The River Cafe, for instance, was closed for many months. But Brooklyn Heights proper is at a higher elevation.

When you say "North Brooklyn Heights", are you referring to the area bordering DUMBO?

I own my property and I think I'd want a bit more than $30K a year to feel secure. When you're a homeowner, there are always repairs, especially with an old house. For example, we spent $50K on a new roof last year (including asbestos removal).
The current property I'm looking at is opposite Hillside Park past the interstate. (Zip: 11201)

When I refer to North Brooklyn Heights, I'm talking below Brooklyn Bridge and above Clark Street.

When it comes to repairs, and the such, can you get a very good insurance policy which covers them?

Old 02-20-2014, 09:46 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,907 times
Better buy your "Northern Brooklyn Heights" detached house before bitcoins crash more.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous725 View Post
The current property I'm looking at is opposite Hillside Park past the interstate.

When I refer to North Brooklyn Heights, I'm talking below Brooklyn Bridge and above Clark Street.
For as nice as Brooklyn Heights might be, between having the BQE and all the hills right there would be a pain in the ass for me. So it depends on how close you are to those pains.

Also, for as nice and desirable a neighborhood Brooklyn Heights is, you are also close to the court houses and Downtown Brooklyn, which some people might say brings undesirables into the area.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:56 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,907 times
The area by the dog park is pretty serene. I'm assuming you are talking about some of those wood cladded houses on Middagh street. Its a quiet hood, no crime, full of yuppies with strollers and dogs. Its elevated above the BQE so you really wont notice highway noise, and there is no flood risk. Its a boring hood (which is good), you can hop over to manhattan easily via 2 or A/C train or take a cab since you are a bitcoin millionaire.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:59 AM

FYI: The area within the yellow border is what I consider the "Northern Section of Brooklyn Heights"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City