Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 10:06 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Just curious, what types of jobs were these and how well did they pay?
He makes abou $30-35k a year doing odd jobs. He does auto repairs, he's not certified and goes to different shops to do jobs some of them I think are chop shops in Queens or Bkyln. $30k cash job is about the equivalent of a guy making $65k W-2 and he gets padded another $15k a year in unemployment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 10:14 AM

821 posts, read 1,100,563 times
I find this phenomenon surprising considering a few on CD consider NYC to be the Cradle of Civilization.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:21 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I would say most unemployed in NYC are fully employed, they are collecting but working side jobs or cash jobs to pad their earnings.

I had a family member that did this for years, he would stay on unemployment and collect while go and take multiple cash jobs and pays well. He even gets food stamps to help his grocery bills.

It's too easy and who's paying for this? Well we all are.
Anyone who is collecting UNEMPLOYMENT is NOT FULLY EMPLOYED. They may be doing side gigs for cash, but those are illegal jobs/off the books and therefore statistically the person is UNEMPLOYED!

Old 02-25-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
He makes abou $30-35k a year doing odd jobs. He does auto repairs, he's not certified and goes to different shops to do jobs some of them I think are chop shops in Queens or Bkyln. $30k cash job is about the equivalent of a guy making $65k W-2 and he gets padded another $15k a year in unemployment.
30-35k a year is no great sum of money anywhere in the country, especially in NYC itself. And in the end he may be playing himself. Will he have enough money to collect social security in old age?

With no legal income, obviously buying a house isn't going to happen. He's keeping himself in poverty as long as he keeps that mindset. So go ahead, let him and the others who do that play themselves for money.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:32 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
30-35k a year is no great sum of money anywhere in the country, especially in NYC itself. And in the end he may be playing himself. Will he have enough money to collect social security in old age?

With no legal income, obviously buying a house isn't going to happen. He's keeping himself in poverty as long as he keeps that mindset. So go ahead, let him and the others who do that play themselves for money.
Exactly!

Many persons either out of falling into the habit or thinking they are jumping slick work off the books for prolonged periods of time. Only to find out later just what damage it can do to SS benefits.

SS is based upon one's work record of thirty-five highest income earning years to create an average. For any year with no income reported a "0" is factored in because that is how averaging works. Enough of those zero's and it can make a huge difference in one's benefits. This is one reason why women historically receive less in SS than men. Females tend to have gaps in their employment history because they leave to have babies and such. To balance this SS has created all sorts of "spouse" benefits to even things out (hopefully), however if one does not marry, and or remain so for the required minimum period of time (ten years) those benefits mean very little.

Many persons start working off the books while unemployed out of necessity. Problem is when they realize how much they would have to pay in SS taxes no small amount just decide not to for one year, then the next, then..... In a way you cannot blame them since self employed persons must pay the entire tax themselves. Employed persons pay half while the employer pays the other half of SS/Medicare taxes.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:38 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,035,277 times
Quote:
I would say most unemployed in NYC are fully employed, they are collecting but working side jobs or cash jobs to pad their earnings.

I had a family member that did this for years, he would stay on unemployment and collect while go and take multiple cash jobs and pays well. He even gets food stamps to help his grocery bills.

No one I know is.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:07 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:

Know personally about three persons and know of many more that were caught working whilst collecting unemployment. The outcome was not pretty as all were arrested and charged with fraudulently obtaining.....

Is everyone caught that works off the books and collects UEI? Obviously not but federal and local governments have stepped up their game just as they are with disability fraud. Those whom are caught are made an example of in either case (paraded in front of the media, etc...) as warning.

One guy I know was just stupid, he was working "on the books" at one place while collecting UE from his previous job. It lasted until the current employer filed his taxes for that quarter and the system detected a match in SSNs. In another case it was simply a routine audit of a "no visible means of support". That probably came about because the person's bank accounts were rather healthy with deposits other than just the UE checks.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Know personally about three persons and know of many more that were caught working whilst collecting unemployment. The outcome was not pretty as all were arrested and charged with fraudulently obtaining.....

Is everyone caught that works off the books and collects UEI? Obviously not but federal and local governments have stepped up their game just as they are with disability fraud. Those whom are caught are made an example of in either case (paraded in front of the media, etc...) as warning.

One guy I know was just stupid, he was working "on the books" at one place while collecting UE from his previous job. It lasted until the current employer filed his taxes for that quarter and the system detected a match in SSNs. In another case it was simply a routine audit of a "no visible means of support". That probably came about because the person's bank accounts were rather healthy with deposits other than just the UE checks.
I knew a guy who was collecting unemployment who also got busted. He get up an online business. They found his website online and he got busted. Luckily for him he wasn't making much money. He didn't have to go to jail but he had to pay them back.

It was in the news when a cop got busted for fraudulent collecting disability. They found videos of him performing on stage on Facebook and YouTube. LOL

Its pretty serious to get caught fraudulently collecting unemployment, food stamps, or any other government program.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:05 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I knew a guy who was collecting unemployment who also got busted. He get up an online business. They found his website online and he got busted. Luckily for him he wasn't making much money. He didn't have to go to jail but he had to pay them back.

It was in the news when a cop got busted for fraudulent collecting disability. They found videos of him performing on stage on Facebook and YouTube. LOL

Its pretty serious to get caught fraudulently collecting unemployment, food stamps, or any other government program.

With all the serious crime going on this is what cops are concerned about?

Old 02-25-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabottom View Post
With all the serious crime going on this is what cops are concerned about?
No, the labor department is concerned about this. This is taxpayer money, so government agencies tax fraud very seriously.

Depending on how much money is involved, you can be locked away for quite sometime. Don't want this to happen? Tell the truth when you deal with the government!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City