Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 08:12 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,216,678 times

Advertisements

Bugsy, did you see the "heated exchanges" on that site about the Turkey's? Also about a woman who ran over a hen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 08:14 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,306,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazellect View Post
Excuse me? I don't want kids dying and I don't refer to them as skells. These are peoples children. For the sake of Christ I want the drug dealers off the street, I want stronger laws and jail time for dealers, I want parents to know what it going on with kids on Staten Island because NO ONE THINKS THEIR KID IS GOING TO STICK A NEEDLE IN THEIR ARM.

Okay, are we clear?
Everyone is someones child. Get over yourself with the righteous high and mighty attitude. The only good type of drug addict is a dead drug addict. Bottom line is by the time the parents take an interest in their little darling it's too late, the kid is already addicted and heading down the path of destruction. I don't care if the person is 10 years old or 100 years old. An addict is an addict plain and simple and will suck the air out of EVERYONE that they come in to contact with.

I refuse to have any sympathy, or remorse, and I certainly have no guilt for how I feel.

Now allow me to retort to this statement you made.... NO ONE THINKS THEIR KID IS GOING TO STICK A NEEDLE IN THEIR ARM.[/u][/i][/b]

Any good parent SHOULD think that their child could be capable of doing anything that is immoral,illegal or bad for them. It's a parent's JOB to think multiple steps ahead of their children and give them the knowledge and tools to avoid such pit falls, this MUST happen at an early age, not teenage or young adult years.

Now we are clear.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:55 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieG View Post
Bugsy, did you see the "heated exchanges" on that site about the Turkey's? Also about a woman who ran over a hen?
No I missed that one, but honestly there are so many of those sort of incidents..... *LOL*

Old 04-06-2014, 04:59 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieG View Post
We all know that SI has the highest rate of drug abuse and overdoses in NYC and comes in 2nd in NY state. Drugs are everywhere here, and if you aren't noticing, you are in a bubble. Every train station, the mall, strip malls, supermarkets, parks. We had to sell our home in Annadale because it was so out of control. Moms buying from dealers as well as their kids all hours of the day and night, dealers driving up ALL HOURS. Smoking blunts out in the open in the afternoon.

Pills out of hand, now with opiate addiction they have habits they can't afford, and with the crack down on obtaining them, all these young people are on HEROIN. And we all know who controls the Heroin trade here.

Anyone have kids in the public HS here? I had in Tottenville. OMG, what went on there was unreal. I have videos. It is just hard to even believe. My younger kids do not go to public school here and we are trying to move.

The moronic mentality here is unbelievable. The "I am better than you" attitude prevails. It is easy to know who has popped some blues here by the absolute RAGE over nothing, insignificant things that should just be a mere annoyance but instead are now a brawl. Opiate rage. It is everywhere.

I came out here at the age of 21 in 1991 from Queens. Worse thing ever and I regret it. In the last 10 years things have gotten really out of hand.

So what makes Staten Islanders behave like this? What makes the kids pop pills in such vast numbers? There are movies here, bowling, a mall, sports, roller skating, paint ball, archery, etc. We didn't have more than that in Queens and it wasn't anything like this.

It truly is a disgusting place to raise a family.

If you can get out, I wish you the best of luck. Staten Island doesn't care how they are perceived by outsiders. They probably want it that way to keep others out.
While the drug problem is not mentioned US born residents of the Rock seem to be fleeing for parts west and south: Report: More U.S.- born residents moving off Staten Island than moving on | SILive.com

In about a generation or two SI will be totally and completely "urban" like Brooklyn or much of Queens with all that entails. People living on top of each other, crowded streets and roads, crime and so forth. There is a reason old timers are putting their homes up for sale, taking the money and running. To those of us that knew the "old" SI what it has become is a disgrace. But for those coming from an apartment in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Bronx or whatever the place seems like heaven.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:13 PM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
I'm typing this from "down south" and I definitely plan on moving here as soon as I can retire. Our entire metro area sucks as far as I'm concerned.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:05 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,320,658 times
As I posted earlier in the thread, we moved out here in October. While no sane person thinks any place in a city like New York is idyllic, I can say, 'So far, so good.' We installed an alarm system, if for no other reason than for the insurance discount and, having read this thread, I'm glad we did.

I think the first time I sensed that Prince's Bay, while hardly in decay, isn't exactly an oasis, was when I saw a guy walking around in local mall parking lot with a sign for a business within that buys gold. Add that to the goings on near the train station with the methadone crowd (who, so far as I see, aren't a problem as long as they're getting their methadone) and it paints an at least mildly disturbing image.

That said, it's a quiet neighborhood, the people are respectful and friendly, and everyone seems to mind their business. I know we've only been here a short while, but as I said, 'So far, so good.'

Old 04-10-2014, 11:17 AM

633 posts, read 1,164,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
Everyone is someones child. Get over yourself with the righteous high and mighty attitude. The only good type of drug addict is a dead drug addict. Bottom line is by the time the parents take an interest in their little darling it's too late, the kid is already addicted and heading down the path of destruction. I don't care if the person is 10 years old or 100 years old. An addict is an addict plain and simple and will suck the air out of EVERYONE that they come in to contact with.

I refuse to have any sympathy, or remorse, and I certainly have no guilt for how I feel.

Now allow me to retort to this statement you made.... NO ONE THINKS THEIR KID IS GOING TO STICK A NEEDLE IN THEIR ARM.[/u][/i][/b]

Any good parent SHOULD think that their child could be capable of doing anything that is immoral,illegal or bad for them. It's a parent's JOB to think multiple steps ahead of their children and give them the knowledge and tools to avoid such pit falls, this MUST happen at an early age, not teenage or young adult years.

Now we are clear.
I am perfectly clear of what you are by "the only type of drug addict is a dead drug addict." You are clueless as are a lot of people here.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:21 AM

633 posts, read 1,164,447 times
Correction ThomasJ, you wrote "The only type of good drug addict is a dead drug addict".

Old 04-10-2014, 12:13 PM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
I didn't catch that quote earlier. I support that message.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:54 PM

35 posts, read 111,852 times
Cheap rent and homes, that is it! Tacky, nothing to do, school system sucks for families, and their accent is disgusting! -Married Mother of One Originally From Park Slope
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City