Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 01:05 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times

Advertisements

Well there is something good out of all this cold and snowy weather: Brutal cold killing off NYC’s mice population | New York Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 02:01 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times
last winter i noticed the same thing as this winter--none came in to my apartment so far.

my last mice came in on 11/14 and 9/14

Old 02-28-2014, 02:21 PM

19,053 posts, read 13,968,817 times
I've definitely been seeing less rats at work. I'm sure it will only be a temporary respite though, a few months at best. Do rats breed year round?

Old 02-28-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I've definitely been seeing less rats at work. I'm sure it will only be a temporary respite though, a few months at best. Do rats breed year round?
Rats and mice breed year round if outdoor temperatures permit. IIRC something around 34F or there about which makes sense nature wise. Colder weather normally means less food so not the ideal time to have and raise babies. However if they can secure warm indoor winter quarters then all bets are off. Which is why when weather turns colder mice and rats look for indoor diggings.

Have seen a few mice around UES streets, but no rats.

You would think with trash collection often delayed for weeks leaving easy pickings mice and rats would be having a field day. Guess it is just too cold.

Ironically the warmer winters NYC has been having on average has lead to an increase in mice and rats. Again because they can breed all year round (out doors).

Old 02-28-2014, 02:50 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
I wonder what did this cold winter do to the homeless population? It had grown to record highs. If the cold has reduced the rat and mouse population think of what it did to the homeless population!

Old 02-28-2014, 02:55 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,898 times
They relocated to Florida

Old 02-28-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I wonder what did this cold winter do to the homeless population? It had grown to record highs. If the cold has reduced the rat and mouse population think of what it did to the homeless population!
If you are making the disgusting and ghastly equation that the cold weather "killed off" homeless persons, no such uptick in deaths have been reported.

Once temperatures are predicted to go below a certain level NYC declares a "homeless emergency" and various agencies including the NYPD become active in getting those without shelter into one. Then there are the various nonprofits, churches and other places that assist as well. Failing that there are always those warm grates that blast heat homeless have been sleeping/sitting upon for ages for warmth.

Finally there are businesses that will take a blind eye to homeless sitting in their establishments if it is really bad out. The Starbucks on East 81st and Second along with H&H Bagels further down have had a resident group of homeless that hang out there for years now. H&H in particular has those same Hungarian or whatever they are older men hanging around there for at least the ten years or so we've been around.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:06 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
If you are making the disgusting and ghastly equation that the cold weather "killed off" homeless persons, no such uptick in deaths have been reported.

Once temperatures are predicted to go below a certain level NYC declares a "homeless emergency" and various agencies including the NYPD become active in getting those without shelter into one. Then there are the various nonprofits, churches and other places that assist as well. Failing that there are always those warm grates that blast heat homeless have been sleeping/sitting upon for ages for warmth.

Finally there are businesses that will take a blind eye to homeless sitting in their establishments if it is really bad out. The Starbucks on East 81st and Second along with H&H Bagels further down have had a resident group of homeless that hang out there for years now. H&H in particular has those same Hungarian or whatever they are older men hanging around there for at least the ten years or so we've been around.
Not everything is reported.

Number one, not every homeless person is willing to go to a shelter. Some of them hide in allies or wherever and actually freeze to death. Or others get sick from long term exposure and get pneumonia or other medical problems. I actually saw this in Occupy Wall Street when it was happening.

At Least Five Homeless People Froze To Death Last Week | ThinkProgress

7 Homeless People Freeze to Death in Wealthiest Area of the Country | Alternet

I think a lot of deaths go unreported of people who die directly from freezing, and that doesn't count those who get frostbite and later gangrene and die that way. Or those that get pneumonia and die that way, or other issues from long term exposure to the cold.

There's a reason why generally speaking California has a lot more homeless than NY. Its the WEATHER. NY had a couple of warm winters, and now its had a pretty cold one.

This was in 2011, a warmer winter.

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/hom...237371151.html

I think for political purposes the major news organizations don't like to report deaths of homeless due to the weather. New York is this fantastic dream city. Can't have newspaper articles saying the cold weather that reduce the rodent population also reduces the homeless population.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:36 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,429,953 times
Too bad the other vermin like transplants yuppies and hipsters aren't affected.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:46 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Too bad the other vermin like transplants yuppies and hipsters aren't affected.
Guess what, when you leave NYC (which you should really do ASAP given how angry you are) YOU will be the vermin transplant in your new location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City