Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 07:40 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,267,364 times

Advertisements

The Birmingham house is nice, but you've got fewer options for a decent paying job there, far fewer cultural and entertainment options, and fewer educational opportunities. There are other amenities of NYC that are harder to describe, like more respect and tolerance for different cultures, faiths and lifestyles--and being able to get amazing sushi.

Nothing against Birmingham and I'm sure it's a great place with nice people--but it's not the engine of the country like NYC is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 07:42 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
The Birmingham house is nice, but you've got fewer options for a decent paying job there, far fewer cultural and entertainment options, and fewer educational opportunities. There are other amenities of NYC that are harder to describe, like more respect and tolerance for different cultures, faiths and lifestyles--and being able to get amazing sushi.

Nothing against Birmingham and I'm sure it's a great place with nice people--but it's not the engine of the country like NYC is.
Not sure how the sushi is there, but I had the best Indian food of my life in Birmingham.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:51 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miv View Post
You picked one of the more expensive houses within the boros as an example. What city exists such that the majority of its residence could afford a 1.3 million single family house? By and large most homes within the 5 boros up here are multi-family dwellings and then some. That is while you'll find that many people have 1 million dollar+ houses, it's only made possible by collecting rent from both their legal and illegally converted apartments and/or they brought it when the prices were still low.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:56 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,754,341 times
Wasn't Forrest Gump from Alabama? I liked his house it was a good one.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:14 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,811,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Not sure how the sushi is there, but I had the best Indian food of my life in Birmingham.
LOL.. you are an ignorant southerner. ( just kidding, your words not mine) What the mass majority of people here are conveying to you is to first, buy a nice meal in New York for $450 and then compare apples to apples. Could you do that and let go of some of that blessed 'green' currency? Albeit, you can't compare one heritage to another without at at least trying to adapt to the one you're not remotely accustomed to. New York is simply beautiful and they have some of the most eloquent dining experiences you'll ever encounter. When you experience these things first, then you can copy and paste your houses of Birmingham all day long. Birmingham would also be a huge culture shock for an average New Yorker and vice versa. The house you chose is very southern. Sheesh, and beautiful at that, but so much is not so good in one sentence, Carry on.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:29 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
LOL.. you are an ignorant southerner. ( just kidding, your words not mine) What the mass majority of people here are conveying to you is to first, buy a nice meal in New York for $450 and then compare apples to apples. Could you do that and let go of some of that blessed 'green' currency? Albeit, you can't compare one heritage to another without at at least trying to adapt to the one you're not remotely accustomed to. New York is simply beautiful and they have some of the most eloquent dining experiences you'll ever encounter. When you experience these things first, then you can copy and paste your houses of Birmingham all day long. Birmingham would also be a huge culture shock for an average New Yorker and vice versa. The house you chose is very southern. Sheesh, and beautiful at that, but so much is not so good in one sentence, Carry on.
Your reply seems directed at me, but I am not the OP. I live in NY and had the best Indian food in my life in Birmingham. Are you addressing that comment? Whatever, it doesn't matter. Birmingham has great Indian food. That was my only point.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:29 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,811,518 times
Quote:
I'm not the OP. I live in New York. The best Indian food I had in my life was in Birmingham.

So please try to follow the thread before throwing around insults.
I stand corrected. I quoted the wrong post contained in your post and was speaking to the OP. No insults intended. The correct quote was what you were quoting and not what you said.. I am further delighted that you had amazing sushi in Birmingham

Originally Posted by barkomatic

Last edited by thegreenflute334; 03-02-2014 at 08:30 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-02-2014, 09:35 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,233,118 times
Quote:
Try looking for houses in Malba, Forest Hills Gardens, Jamaica Estates or Douglaston. These are all in Queens.

For the really expensive houses, look in Manhattan, or in Brooklyn: Brooklyn Heights, Cobble Hill, Carroll Gardens, Park Slope.
The address he cites is in Jamaica Estates, but on the northwestern fringe and not one of the older beautiful homes the neighborhood is known for. Definitely a desirable neighborhood, though, albeit not as expensive as Forest Hills Gardens, Malba or Douglaston. Or Long Island City, which at least on a per square foot basis blows those neighborhoods out of the water these days. The houses in the LIC landmark district on 45th Avenue don't sell very often, but I doubt any of them would sell for under $2M these days. Maybe some of the smaller ones.

Anyway, most people in NYC do not own 4 bedroom homes, or a feel a need to do so. Around 80% of the population rents, and rents apartments, usually one or two bedrooms. Families with children typically have two children to a room throughout childhood unless they are very well off (or only have one child, which is common). Many families relocate to the suburbs, especially once the kids are old enough for school (either elementary school or sometimes middle school). Although there are many very expensive towns in the suburbs, the suburbs also have a lot of decent, affordable areas, where a three or four bedroom house can be had for $300-400k. That often means a tough commute to work if the parents still work in NYC (towns with easier commutes are typically more expensive), but there are significant employment hubs in the suburbs, too. And most people who commute into NYC commute by train or bus, which is far less stressful than driving and thus longer commutes can be tolerable.

Last edited by BrownstoneNY; 03-02-2014 at 09:50 PM..

Old 03-03-2014, 03:20 PM

311 posts, read 450,949 times
I don't know anything about Birmingham, but most small towns (or small city? unsure of pop) don't have the jobs or infrastructure that can support a growing economy. Sure, cost of living is much better there, but whenever I visit friends who live in towns with populations of around 5k, they always say it's not worth it, even if their dollar goes farther there and you can buy a mcmansion for next to nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City