Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 12:04 PM

15,650 posts, read 15,785,905 times

Advertisements

I very much like the idea, even if it's a bit of a stunt, that Bratton is going to "ride the rails" to get a feel for the subways.

NYPD Commissioner Bratton to ride subway at night*to get a look at crime, quality-of-life issues* - NY Daily News

However, what I'd really like is if all MTA upper management were required to only use city buses for a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 12:24 PM

424 posts, read 977,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I very much like the idea, even if it's a bit of a stunt, that Bratton is going to "ride the rails" to get a feel for the subways.

NYPD Commissioner Bratton to ride subway at night*to get a look at crime, quality-of-life issues* - NY Daily News

However, what I'd really like is if all MTA upper management were required to only use city buses for a month.
Interesting, let's hope it works.

It would indeed be nice if the MTA brass had to ride the rails at rush hour get to and from work everyday instead of riding in Town Cars everywhere; maybe then we'd have better service and fewer train "delays"?

Old 03-05-2014, 12:27 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,900,561 times
That's what I was thinking. Instead of finding bad guys, he'll find bad service.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:34 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,276,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
That's what I was thinking. Instead of finding bad guys, he'll find bad service.

Totally agree. He should ride during rush hour, both in the morning and evening from 5pm to at least 8pm. Over the past 2 weeks there have been major delays (in the evenings) on the E and F lines due to broken rails. A 25 minute subway ride has turned into an hour for me so I can imagine people commuting from the city into Queens being delayed much longer. The mornings have also had delays but not like the evening rush. With all the money we pay for public transportation, one would hope that a good portion of those funds went into updating and fixing the existing problems.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:58 PM

15,650 posts, read 15,785,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Right. Do we dare to hope that he'll get so annoyed with the service that he'll call up the head of the MTA and rant?

Old 03-05-2014, 01:39 PM

5,205 posts, read 4,693,295 times
I would like to see someone come up with a creative way to solve the homeless problem. Homeless people who have no hope of ever holding down jobs should probably be shipped off somewhere.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:56 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,257,727 times
As the article mentions, Bratton made his rep in NYC leading the Transit Police, when it reduced crime in the subways to the point that NYers were safer below ground than above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
what I'd really like is if all MTA upper management were required to only use city buses for a month.
It should be permanent! How does anyone in a transit agency merit a car, and sometimes a driver? When they're late for work or a meeting, they should be saying "Damn trains/buses!", like everyone else!

Old 03-05-2014, 04:47 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,421,416 times
If our police commissioner has to ride the subways to "get a feel for crime and quality of service" then we obviously have the wrong police commissioner. And based on this ludicrous "initiative" and other ridiculous statements he has made, this guy was a very bad choice for police commissioner. What's next? He will take a walk through the ENY housing projects to "better understand which cleaners work best for urine stains" and take a stroll on the FDR to "get an appreciation for how bad the roads are" and of course take a stroll through Rockefeller Center to "better understand what it's like to walk through a crowded sidewalk."

This is completely embarrassing and tells me he has zero idea WTF he is doing and has no plan for this city....how the f&*$ do you hire a police commissioner for NYC who doesn't even understand crime in the train, the bad service, and the lousy conditions? REALLY?

Old 03-05-2014, 05:07 PM

929 posts, read 1,665,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
I would like to see someone come up with a creative way to solve the homeless problem. Homeless people who have no hope of ever holding down jobs should probably be shipped off somewhere.
Most of them are mentally ill. It's not as simple as just busing them to another town.

Old 03-05-2014, 05:38 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,274,490 times
I hope they have to transfer trains too late at night and realize how "fun" it is waiting 20 minutes for a train to come, and then be so packed you barely get on and this happens at 1am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City