Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 01:15 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,329,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Their are a couple of gentrifiers in the photograph. I had to stop and laugh for a moment!
A couple? Looks almost like half the group is. And doubt they are the Jews from Crown Heights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 01:41 PM

31,959 posts, read 27,083,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
A couple? Looks almost like half the group is. And doubt they are the Jews from Crown Heights.
Glad one wasn't the only one that had a good chuckle at that photo.

Was like "what"? Wait a minute here, something ain't quite right! *LOL*

Those "gentrifiers" are probably but perhaps not all persons who moved to CH when it was "affordable" after being pushed out elsewhere.

Still there is something to be said for banding together in order to inform tenants of their rights and so forth.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:05 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,620,672 times
Those gentrifiers and old-timers have a lot more in common with each other than with the people who are buying property in Crown Heights now. Good for them for joining together.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:21 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,008,378 times
Some of the young whites in that photo likely have better political and media connections, as well as better organizing skills than some of the poor Crown Heights residents.

At least they are working to help those people, unlike some of you here who just like to diss people. Don't hate on them unless you have better ideas to help out residents and communities.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:01 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,865,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Some of the young whites in that photo likely have better political and media connections, as well as better organizing skills than some of the poor Crown Heights residents.

At least they are working to help those people, unlike some of you here who just like to diss people. Don't hate on them unless you have better ideas to help out residents and communities.
The people on that are in the photo are in the same economic class whether Black or White. They will benefit from this since they can keep their apts. As they pass on or move out, the next group of people that move in will be of a higher economic class. This will happen fairly quickly. The maintenance will will seem low to new comers but will probably double or triple for these people, and that will happen immediately after conversion. I'm sure their incomes wont increase.

Many of them will move to lower income housing like projects etc as the maintenance increases over time.

The new people will have the ability to pay the $100K cash to purchase the apts, and the maintenance will seem like a steal for them. 5 - 10 years later you have a gentrified building. All the original people of the building before the conversion will be gone.

There will also be an atmosphere of old vs new, and the hostility that goes with that, from both sides.

Don't assume that people have better organizing skills just because they are younger or white. You have to know an individuals background. They may have less money and then again maybe not.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:25 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,008,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
The people on that are in the photo are in the same economic class whether Black or White. They will benefit from this since they can keep their apts. As they pass on or move out, the next group of people that move in will be of a higher economic class. This will happen fairly quickly. The maintenance will will seem low to new comers but will probably double or triple for these people, and that will happen immediately after conversion. I'm sure their incomes wont increase.

Many of them will move to lower income housing like projects etc as the maintenance increases over time.

The new people will have the ability to pay the $100K cash to purchase the apts, and the maintenance will seem like a steal for them. 5 - 10 years later you have a gentrified building. All the original people of the building before the conversion will be gone.

There will also be an atmosphere of old vs new, and the hostility that goes with that, from both sides.

Don't assume that people have better organizing skills just because they are younger or white. You have to know an individuals background. They may have less money and then again maybe not.
I did not say that people have better organizing skills because they are younger and white. However, you generally did not have that well off or that educated a Black population in Crown Heights and if that population had been better at organizing or had better media skills/connections we'd have a very different Brooklyn already.

I'm not saying the younger whites did all the work, but I was saying they were an IMPORTANT part of it. That the reason it likely made the news and we're talking about is is because of their contributions, and that people shouldn't just try to dismiss it and say that they are just gentrifiers. No one of any race or age group has orgasms about their rents going up and everyone has to worry about costs.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:48 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,865,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I did not say that people have better organizing skills because they are younger and white. However, you generally did not have that well off or that educated a Black population in Crown Heights and if that population had been better at organizing or had better media skills/connections we'd have a very different Brooklyn already.

I'm not saying the younger whites did all the work, but I was saying they were an IMPORTANT part of it. That the reason it likely made the news and we're talking about is is because of their contributions, and that people shouldn't just try to dismiss it and say that they are just gentrifiers. No one of any race or age group has orgasms about their rents going up and everyone has to worry about costs.
I know about UHAB from trying to work with them in my community board. The people in the photo live in the buildings they are not gentrifiers, they are trying to keep from being gentrified out of their buildings. You don't have to be organized. UHAB will do all of that for you. UHAB has 30 years of experience. They more than likely created this press release. They helped to gentrify the LES starting 30 years ago. They are a major reason the LES is gentrified today. They are responsible for Harlem tenements going coop, and selling for such high prices.

UHAB scouts out buildings and tries to put buildings together to make one coop. They approach the tenants door to door. It sounds like a good deal because they don't tell them the truth about the rent increases or what will be their new maintenance charges. They don't tell them that if the apt is the older relatives, that they can still live there if they are on the lease after the person passes on, but that they won't own the apt shares, and will live there as a rent stabilized tenant, with the rent starting at the maintenance price. Excuse the run on sentence please.

UHAB is very organized and supposedly teaches the tenants to organize but they really call the shots. They approve the new people moving in, while letting the new coop owners interview them etc. But UHAB has the final word. Doing all of this over a 5 - 10 year period you have a whole new set of people living there. People of what ever race, with more money than the Black or White people living their now.

UHAB will manage things forever, supposedly for 50 years, but everytime they find a tax reduction they get to extend that monitoring for another 50 years.

They speed up the gentrification process. What would work it self out in 25-30 years will speed up to 5 - 7 from what I see on the community board.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:13 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,235,938 times
Quote:
Their are a couple of gentrifiers in the photograph. I had to stop and laugh for a moment!
Frankly, pretty much any unionized worker in this city makes enough money to be a gentrifier wherever people are complaining about gentrification. Certainly your $80k/year union salary with a pension and excellent health insurance is leaps and bounds beyond what the average long-term Crown Heights or Bushwick locals make. Sort of hilarious.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:24 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,736,287 times
Quote:

LOL!!! There are about 9 or 10 in the photo! Too funny!!

Old 03-06-2014, 04:27 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,736,287 times
The one woman said they offered her $125K to move into a smaller apartment and she refused. I don't know if I read that right..... they offered her $125K to give up her current apartment and to move into a smaller one in that building and she refused? Or was it that they offered her $125K to simply vacate the building?

Either way, she should have just taken the money and gotten out. They will eventually get her out, anyway, so take the money and run. They've already locked her out of her apartment, claiming they're doing repairs. I wonder if it's that they want her out of that apt and to stay in the one she's in? Whatever. She doesn't explain herself very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City