Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 10:20 AM

4 posts, read 38,336 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move into an apartment -- I found a nice one on Bedford Ave in Brooklyn, by the Prospect Heights and Crown Heights area. They say that it is in the regentification process, but I want to know if the area is safe now for a white, single girl in her early 20s. Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 10:25 AM

343 posts, read 1,025,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeg24 View Post
I am looking to move into an apartment -- I found a nice one on Bedford Ave in Brooklyn, by the Prospect Heights and Crown Heights area. They say that it is in the regentification process, but I want to know if the area is safe now for a white, single girl in her early 20s. Please help!
Rule of Thumb: South of Atlantic Avenue, Prospect Heights is west of Washington; Crown Heights East of Washington.

Since you are a few (long) blocks past the border, you are closer to the lifestyle and amenities of Crown Heights, than prospect heights. And Bedford Ave is Crown Heights.

What street, Bedford and what? Stuff is block by block in that area... Plenty of single white girls in their 20s running around, the area is by no means safe tho. There have been several shootings on Franklin Avenue in the past few months, and they are pulling the operation impact zone at the end of the summer, so no more police foot patrols..

Neighborhood and Culture is African American and West Indian, lots of loud music and stoop parties and people hanging out in the summer. Can look intimidating (especially if you aren't from around here) but most of it is harmless.. Not lots of things in ways of amenities. Basic stuff.. 99cent store, couple of hole in the wall bars, and Franklin Park is the meeting place around there for the gentry.

Last edited by TheBoros; 07-23-2010 at 10:34 AM..

Old 07-23-2010, 10:36 AM

4 posts, read 38,336 times
The area right where Bedford meets Rogers (Grant Square, I believe it is called). Is this area safe? I work off an area in Manhattan around the A/C or 1 and would need to walk to catch these trains.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
The area right where Bedford meets Rogers (Grant Square, I believe it is called). Is this area safe? I work off an area in Manhattan around the A/C or 1 and would need to walk to catch these trains.

That's around Bedford and Dean. The area is not considered safe.

With that said, it is gentrifying, check it out for yourself before you move. Summertime is a good gauge, because people are out all times of the day. Walk a few blocks east and west.

There is a huge mens homeless shelter on Atlantic and Bedford Avenue one block away. FYI. And a Methadone Clinic around the corner from that. Also there are a few assisted living facilites for the mentally ill.

You are convenient to transportation, A express at Nostrand one block east and a few blocks up, C local and shuttle train at fulton one block west and a few blocks up as well

Old 07-23-2010, 12:19 PM

877 posts, read 2,768,425 times
Quote:
There are a lot of young white girls that live around there so maybe you should take one evening and go to a place called Franklin Park and talk to some of the people that live in the area and find out how safe they feel.

I wish I could give a better answer but being a black guy from Crown Heights, I view the neighborhood in a different manner and my perspective would probably not be the same as yours.

Sayiing that though, as the other poster mentioned, there is a men's shelter on Bedford and Atlantic that is not considered very good.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:50 PM

876 posts, read 2,142,234 times
Quote:

Whats up with all these white girls wanting to move to these black areas. No it isnt safe by any means.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:13 PM

447 posts, read 1,564,596 times
Its not safe for a white girl. If you were black you probably wouldn't have problems but a single white girl is a prime target for muggers.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSANMAN View Post
Whats up with all these white girls wanting to move to these black areas. No it isnt safe by any means.
Because they are cool remember. All their friends are there, and Brooklyn in the place... REMEMBER???

Don't stop the Gentrification wheel.. nothing to see.. keep it moving here.

*yawn* *getting sleepy* *drank the kool aid*

Old 07-23-2010, 04:26 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
I think the answer to why some are moving there is that it's cheap and it's Brooklyn. No way are these hipster kids ever going to consider moving to some much safer, equivalently priced neighborhood in Queens that is a shorter commute to Manhattan. Or, heaven forbid, the Bronx!!

They like to think their neighborhood is safe but at the same time they are always reminding each other not to use their phones on the walk home between the subway and their apartment. Doesn't sound too safe to me if using an iphone in public at 9pm makes you an instant target for a mugging but to each his own.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henna View Post
i think the answer to why some are moving there is that it's cheap and it's brooklyn. No way are these hipster kids ever going to consider moving to some much safer, equivalently priced neighborhood in queens that is a shorter commute to manhattan. Or, heaven forbid, the bronx!!

They like to think their neighborhood is safe but at the same time they are always reminding each other not to use their phones on the walk home between the subway and their apartment. Doesn't sound too safe to me if using an iphone in public at 9pm makes you an instant target for a mugging but to each his own.
shut up!!!! Youre letting out the secrets!!! Stop now!! Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City