Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 08:40 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilksFavoriteCookie View Post
Short answers best:

If you go to CUNY, go to Baruch

nuff said
I'se like how you roll!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 08:43 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
The problem isn't not CUNY its the NYC high schools which are not good that is causing CUNY to look bad.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:49 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
The problem isn't not CUNY its the NYC high schools which are not good that is causing CUNY to look bad.
I know how you can fix that. Raise the standards for admission, build dorms, and hire a top marketing/education consultancy firm in India/China to try to attract overseas students. That'll fill the coffers, boost the SAT score stats as well as graduation rates. Then use the foreign students' funds to give full scholarships to native top performers.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
I know how you can fix that. Raise the standards for admission, build dorms, and hire a top marketing/education consultancy firm in India/China to try to attract overseas students. That'll fill the coffers, boost the SAT score stats as well as graduation rates. Then use the foreign students' funds to give full scholarships to native top performers.
CUNY has begun to do some of those reforms, but everything has to be done with an eye to that protests will likely come form those who feel CUNY is becoming elitist.

More CUNY freshmen need remedial math, fewer need remedial English | Capital New York

‘Community’ crisis | New York Post

Rise in remedial enrollment noted at CUNY, SUNY | Baruch Ticker - Baruch Connect

Old 03-13-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilksFavoriteCookie View Post
Short answers best:

If you go to CUNY, go to Baruch

nuff said
Just checked their MFE alumni placement numbers; not to shabby.

Employment Statistics - Baruch MFE Program

Old 03-13-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Just checked their MFE alumni placement numbers; not to shabby.

Employment Statistics - Baruch MFE Program
I actually went to that program for a while before I couldn't go to class anymore because I was working long hours at work. I remember during orientation, the director of the program specifically said that they're not looking to admit students that ask stupid questions. I was like "WOW". That program is like 80% foreign students, at least a couple of years ago, by foreign as in F1 visa status not local immigrants. There were kids from IIT(Indian Institute of Technology), Peking University, some US schools like NYU, Berkeley, there were also a few MBAs from top US schools and some PHDs in Math and Physics taking the program when I went. I think anything less than a perfect score on the math GRE at that time put you into the bottom 20% of the barrel. That program is one of the more intense MFE programs in the country and they emphasize on application more than theory. I had a coworker at the time that did his MFE at Carnegie Mellon and I asked if he had to code up all the linear algebraic functions from scratch to solve the two dimensional heat diffusion equation and he told me that his professors gave them the libraries. So that program is no joke.

Last edited by bumblebyz; 03-13-2014 at 09:44 PM..

Old 03-13-2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
CUNY has begun to do some of those reforms, but everything has to be done with an eye to that protests will likely come form those who feel CUNY is becoming elitist.

More CUNY freshmen need remedial math, fewer need remedial English | Capital New York

‘Community’ crisis | New York Post

Rise in remedial enrollment noted at CUNY, SUNY | Baruch Ticker - Baruch Connect
Yes it's definitely a sensitive issue nowadays. You need to gradually raise the bar at least on the undergrad level. But glad that they're taking steps to improve.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
I actually went to that program for a while before I couldn't go to class anymore because I was working long hours at work. I remember during orientation, the director of the program specifically said that they're not looking to admit students that ask stupid questions. I was like "WOW". That program is like 80% foreign students, at least a couple of years ago, by foreign as in F1 visa status not local immigrants. There were kids from IIT(Indian Institute of Technology), Peking University, some US schools like NYU, Berkeley, there were also a few MBAs from top US schools and some PHDs in Math and Physics taking the program when I went. I think anything less than a perfect score on the math GRE at that time put you into the bottom 20% of the barrel. That program is one of the more intense MFE programs in the country and they emphasize on application more than theory. I had a coworker at the time that did his MFE at Carnegie Mellon and I asked if he had to code up all the linear algebraic functions from scratch to solve the two dimensional heat diffusion equation and he told me that his professors gave them the libraries. So that program is no joke.
I'm supposed to be getting ready for bed, but your post got me thinking so .....

OMG, a six percent admission rate for Baruch MFE? One of the top five at the Rotman Trading????

Yeah baby, CUNY can get some things right when it needs to be. Sad that most of the students are international and or otherwise not from NYC. Baruch MFE - Master of Financial Engineering Program

Old 03-13-2014, 09:57 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Didn't CUNY close open admissions?

Old 03-13-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Didn't CUNY close open admissions?
Basically yes, open admissions ended over ten years ago for the senior colleges: https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/1998/07/cuny-j18.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City