Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 08:29 PM

34,080 posts, read 47,269,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
Greenpoint is a neighborhood that has the red-headed step-child of Brooklyn: The G train. I used to work there at the garbage dump site you guys have, back in 1999. That train was a nightmare to use and still is. Transport options are limited. Quirky features of the nabe were nice but you can't hold onto that. Not in America where the population changes dramatically every generation or so. Every neighborhood changes. Nothing stays the same. Look at Canarsie. It was mostly wealthy and is now a ghetto. The reverse goes for those ghettoes being gentrified in parts of Bklyn and NYC. We have to adapt and move along with life...
Canarsie was never wealthy. I don't care who lived there first or who is living there now. It was never a wealthy area.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-17-2014, 08:37 PM

38 posts, read 35,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I think it's funny you assume all of the midwest is bland, or what I assume you mean "white upper middle class families".

The thing is, look at detroit. That is a "Middle America" city. It's very dangerous. Is that bland? I'm from Cleveland, which was the third most dangerous city in the US for a while. Is that bland? Please elaborate.
They are just wannabe repositories for black people in the midwest because god knows you don't want them in your mcmansions an in your megachurches. Detroit and Cleveland got to pay their respects to New York biggest baddest city in the English speaking world. Only reason the homicide rate is low is because NY criminals are smart.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:37 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,405,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polish Mike View Post
amen brother. We are in the struggle against Middle America banality
Yea Mos def. the simple solution is to tax the yups.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:41 PM

379 posts, read 517,661 times
Canarsie, wealthy, really? When was that? Canarsie was and still is a middle class working neighborhood. Now, in the 80s it was still an Italian/Jewish neighborhood. Today it is a predominantly Afro-Caribbean neighborhood, so what! New York is always changing. Who and what is here today, won't be 10 or 20 years from now. It's how this city is.

And like a previous poster stated;"Polish Greenpoint died ten years ago, get over it". Yeah get over it already.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomitillo26 View Post
Canarsie, wealthy, really? When was that? Canarsie was and still is a middle class working neighborhood. Now, in the 80s it was still an Italian/Jewish neighborhood. Today it is a predominantly Afro-Caribbean neighborhood, so what! New York is always changing. Who and what is here today, won't be 10 or 20 years from now. It's how this city is.

And like a previous poster stated;"Polish Greenpoint died ten years ago, get over it". Yeah get over it already.
So people should get over it when they are bullied out of their homes?

Old 03-17-2014, 09:01 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,936,058 times
Dang I should have bought in Greenpoint. It is too late now.

But you poles still have ridgewood, and parts of New Jersey.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:09 PM

379 posts, read 517,661 times
Quote:
So people should get over it when they are bullied out of their homes?
How were you bullied? You really mean priced out, right? Listen guy get over it. I'm a life long Brooklynite like yourself and I have seen my old neighborhood change too. I just had the foresight 20 years ago to see the change coming and I prepared for it. Hey these "hipsters" are renting from someone. They most likely have a Polish landlord who is making a bundle in a rent roll every month on a house or building that was paid off years ago.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:09 PM

The invaders are coming for Ridgewood next.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:18 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,405,257 times
Quote:
The invaders are coming for Ridgewood next.
Yup they took bush wick. It's only a matter of time.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:20 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,936,058 times
They have not completely taken Bushwick. But the RE people know it will happen, and have bought everything available up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City