Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 07:52 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,695,114 times

Advertisements

I haven't found a good movie theater in which they don't talk during the movie. I always keep running into the ghetto ones. Do you know any really good ones that are not ghetto? If you know any in the Bronx that's a plus or maybe in Yonkers? Anyways please do let me know if you know of a really good one in NYC. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 08:05 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
I haven't found a good movie theater in which they don't talk during the movie. I always keep running into the ghetto ones. Do you know any really good ones that are not ghetto? If you know any in the Bronx that's a plus or maybe in Yonkers? Anyways please do let me know if you know of a really good one in NYC. Thanks in advance.
Prolly IMAX in Lincoln Center....IMO the best movie theater in NYC is my house with Netflix on my 60" with surround sound.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-25-2014, 09:03 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,537,213 times
Agree with large screen TV home theater/surround sound. With pay-per view, netflix, blurays, I havent seen a flick in a movie theater in 2 years and I don't miss it at all.

Although I do have to admit, some flicks (especially the bad ones) are actually enhanced when you watch it with a ghetto crowd in a movie theater. Some of the running ghetto commentary I have heard were priceless.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Agree with large screen TV home theater/surround sound. With pay-per view, netflix, blurays, I havent seen a flick in a movie theater in 2 years and I don't miss it at all.

Although I do have to admit, some flicks (especially the bad ones) are actually enhanced when you watch it with a ghetto crowd in a movie theater. Some of the running ghetto commentary I have heard were priceless.
My wife is a movie head. So the only reason we still go to the movies is because of her; the whole setting and experience is all that to her, just as much as watching the actual movie. That being said, if we really must go, Jamaica Avenue (you would think it's bad) is surprisingly ok to go catch a flick. We go to Sheepshead Bay sometimes too, but that movie theater is very dirty. I saw mice climbing on the wall once in there - eek

Old 03-26-2014, 05:00 AM

18 posts, read 40,214 times
I don't go on a reg. to the movies, but when there is a nice special affects movie I would make my way down to IMAX Lincoln Center. Especially, now that you can reserve your seats. So I would get a small group together and select our seats. I have also heard a lot about the AMC Sofa Seats, apparently, a few AMC places have reclining sofa's as your seat so its a bit nicer. I also was told the AMC (some) in NJ have wine / dinner order and delivered to your seat as you watch your movie. This seems nice, but I've never been.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:30 AM

483 posts, read 869,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
My wife is a movie head. So the only reason we still go to the movies is because of her; the whole setting and experience is all that to her, just as much as watching the actual movie. We go to Sheepshead Bay sometimes too, but that movie theater is very dirty. I saw mice climbing on the wall once in there - eek
If you want to go to clean movie theater in Brooklyn, girlfriend and I always enjoy going to BAM cinema.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:36 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
I like the movie theaters in Forest Hills (Queens Blvd. & Austin St.), Astoria and the one already mentioned on Jamaica Avenue.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:24 PM

15,595 posts, read 15,650,878 times
No, I know none in the Bronx.

However, of course, choose your neighborhood, but also choose your movie. This is why theaters like the Film Forum and Lincoln Plaza don't have that problem.

If you're going to choose a mainstream blockbuster and go to a 7:00 show on Friday night, shortly after it's opened, you'll have talking. If you choose a more arty or independent film, go at an earlier hour, you're less likely to have that problem. If you go to blockbuster movies a month after they open, and go mid-afternoon on the weekend, there will be fewer people - and you can sit far away enough from any talkers.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernski View Post
If you want to go to clean movie theater in Brooklyn, girlfriend and I always enjoy going to BAM cinema.
That might be worth a trip - however when we go to the movies we drive, so parking might be difficult in that area. Worth looking into though. On Jamaica Avenue we pay $5. The multiplex has an underground parking lot.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:39 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
If you want a genuinely NYC, beautiful, memorable movie experience, the best theater is the Ziegfeld Theater on West 54th street. Classy, historic, amazing.

Ziegfeld Theatre in New York, NY - Cinema Treasures
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City