Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 05:33 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,086,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The more people read an article the more money than make. So they used gentrification because they know that it would encourage people to CLICK on the article. If you read the article though it has little to do with actual gentrification. The area is still low income, though it's gotten a slight increase in the median income, along with a slight increase in the rent. It also mentions all the new "affordable" housing in the area.
The meaning of Affordable is very subjective. You know that right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 06:55 AM

770 posts, read 1,133,280 times
This appears to resemble Gentrificaiton 'Lite.

Maybe it will snowball and return the area to greater civility, less crime and enhanced quality of life.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:19 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,274,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
A 10% increase in rent over 5 years does not really seem like much to me.
If it's someone with a fixed income like a senior or someone who doesn't make a whole lot and has not had a significant raise they are going to feel it.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:20 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,274,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
That's funny. Most of the apartment buildings in high ridge won't even rent out to people who make a certain income (higher). I remember helping my client look for an apartment in high ride, almost all the landlords told me "he made too much to rent here".
Why would a landlord say that? Unless they specifically wanted section 8 tenants

Old 04-03-2014, 07:43 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,086,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Why would a landlord say that? Unless they specifically wanted section 8 tenants
If I was a Landlord I would not want that either. To many problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
That's funny. Most of the apartment buildings in high ridge won't even rent out to people who make a certain income (higher). I remember helping my client look for an apartment in high ride, almost all the landlords told me "he made too much to rent here".
Well Highbridge has plenty of Dominicans who used to live at one point in their lives in Washington Heights which only a stones throw away across the Harlem River. Plenty of Dominicans at one point or even now are on Section 8 while in the Heights and moved over to the Bronx which many landlords in the Highbridge area accept, especially since Washington Hieghts and inwood are actually experiencing gentrification. Probably the reason why Landlords in the Heights do not accept section 8 anymore, leaving many in the Washington Heights area only one choice and move across the river into High Bridge.

This has been noted about Bronx and increasing rents as of lately. Plenty of people in the Bronx do not even have jobs that pay 32k at minimum which to me is the barebones one can live on in the Bronx, and that's not even the South Bronx, that's more like Wakefield or Throgs Neck. I have seen prices for commodities, automobile gas, and other goods that are sky high here in the South Bronx, and I'm like how can people afford this stuff while they have to pay rent and a monthly metro card? Its even worse when I get out of the subway there is a long line of people waiting to pick up pantry goods from local Catholic by Alexander and Episcopalian Church by St Anns. Residents in the South Bronx don't have it rough, but they have it tough. Also a small group of higher earning people are moving into the area as well, but not in large numbers like in Harlem, Williamsburg, Greenpoint or Astoria make some residents worry some and some have talked about leaving the area. Even on the 6 train you see strollers with mothers coming from shelters with no where else to go. Something needs to done or addressed about rents, education, job/careers/profession, gentrification, homelessness and not to have to many damn kids.

Supermario in 3, 2 and !.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:11 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,399,110 times
This was a dumb article on almost every level. Firstly, and most frightening, is that in 2014, an average rent of $985 for all size apts when the vast majority are only paying 1/3 of that paultry amount out of their pockets because of Section 8 and other programs paying the difference tells me these people were leaving no matter what happens. Secondly, I would like to know where these people are going instead? Arkansas to a mobile home for $400 a month and no other assistance or city services that they depend on? And lastly, someone asked "when have rents ever gone down"..and the answer is the 70s! Not only were rents declining, you couldn't even give homes away in parts of the city.

People underestimate the sheer depths of destitution in this city, and as BXguayanese said above...I am seeing long lines at pantries...surprisingly though almost everyone is either overweight or obese. Hmm...are we feeding the hungry or feeding people who have nothing else to do but get as much free stuff as they can? From my experience, it's the latter.

Because of the massive influx of global wealth descending on this city over the past decade, and continuing to this day and for the forseeable future, the middle and working class are now competing for apts with the lower class/destitute...and that is the real pressure you are seeing in rents in lower-income communities like Highbridge. And that is exactly the reason I get great tenants escaping other parts of the city eager to pay $1,500 for a 2 bedroom in the Southern Bronx.

Much of the destitute folks should be grateful there are rent regulations otherwise they would have been gone a long time ago, probably dumped to repopulate the ghost towns of middle america/rust belt.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:39 AM

424 posts, read 975,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Because of the massive influx of global wealth descending on this city over the past decade, and continuing to this day and for the forseeable future, the middle and working class are now competing for apts with the lower class/destitute...and that is the real pressure you are seeing in rents in lower-income communities like Highbridge. And that is exactly the reason I get great tenants escaping other parts of the city eager to pay $1,500 for a 2 bedroom in the Southern Bronx.
Agree. A lot of middle class NYer's (from all sorts of backgrounds) were hit really hard by the economic recession, faced stagnant wages or went through financial setbacks, etc... the Grand Concourse that certain Manhattanites wouldn't move to 10-20 years ago is now seen as a great bargain since you can get more space for your money there. Kind of a scary thought that the poor and middle classers are competing over the same neighborhoods which are close (enough) to Manhattan. Though those who afford to move do so since "down trodden" ex Manhattanites might signal the start of rental increases when they can't afford since what they're paying now is the top end of their budget; where are do they supposed to move to? Public housing?

Old 04-03-2014, 10:47 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,262,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post

Much of the destitute folks should be grateful there are rent regulations otherwise they would have been gone a long time ago, probably dumped to repopulate the ghost towns of middle america/rust belt.
And that's my beef with rent regulations as it creates an environment where "hood" people can carry on doing their dirt with no consequences or recourse whatsoever simply because LLs are obligated by RS law to renew their lease despite how ghetto and undesirable they are.

It's very difficult to clean up a neighborhood and remove all the trashy tenants if the tenants have a guaranteed lease renewal for life. The LL is helpless in that matter. This is why the RS law has to be amended to remove this guaranteed lease renewal clause.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:48 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,399,110 times
Ehanson: It isn't necessarily scary...just people moving to places they can afford..nothing more.

Hilltop: I understand why there are rent regulations, and if you understand history you should know why also. The flaw with the system is the lifetime renewals, which ultimately creates all of the problems. A more reasonable system would be renewals for a certain period, 5/10/20 years..whatever....and then the LL has the option not to renew for any reason. What reasonable person could possibly be against that?

Old 04-03-2014, 10:48 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,423,572 times
maybe it's because a lot of the working people who got priced
out of other boroughs decided to move to the bronx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City