Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2014, 04:10 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,690,119 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/13/re...ream.html?_r=0, Great news for property owners out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 06:47 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/13/re...ream.html?_r=0, Great news for property owners out there.
The amazing thing is that the apartment they looked at and the house they bought were the same price. Actually, I think the house was cheaper.

The article doesn't mention this, but coop apartment prices are all over the map within Jackson Heights. To some degree, the price reflects the amount of space you are getting (with multiple bathrooms raising the price significantly) but also, the price can also reflect the quality of the building -- how well kept it is, the location and the building's finances.

The building mentioned in the article is one of the top-tier buildings where the large apartments are going for $600 to $800 K. If anyone is planning to buy in Jackson Heights, I think it makes sense to look at properties through a realtor who has local knowledge, and not just some MLS rep who has no idea what the differences are between the various buildings.

Also when looking at comps, the only comps that seem to matter are comps within the same building. The comps for a neighboring building can have wildly different prices due to a number of factors, some of which I mentioned above.

Other factors that can keep prices low in a building are: coop
- is on leased land
- has high flip tax
-has poor finances and you could get hit with a high maintenance increase or an assessment if something big happens like a problem with the elevator or roof
- is poorly maintained
- has a high building mortgage
- has such a strict board and rules that selling is next to impossible
- is far from the train
- has no amenities (no garden or parking garage)

etc.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:07 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Are all the buildings within the historic district maintained well? As long as your in the historic district I assume you can't go wrong.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Are all the buildings within the historic district maintained well? As long as your in the historic district I assume you can't go wrong.
I'm not really sure, but I am going to guess that there are some that are not maintained as well as others. There are a few that I remember going in that I wouldn't want to live in, but it was more of a general feeling and not something specific like seeing bad landscaping or trash in the hallway.

The danger is really more about ending up in a building with bad finances, which are impossible to see from the outside. Although being poorly maintained could be an indication of bad finances.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:07 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I'm not really sure, but I am going to guess that there are some that are not maintained as well as others. There are a few that I remember going in that I wouldn't want to live in, but it was more of a general feeling and not something specific like seeing bad landscaping or trash in the hallway.

The danger is really more about ending up in a building with bad finances, which are impossible to see from the outside. Although being poorly maintained could be an indication of bad finances.
I think appearances are telling. You know the old saying "you get what you pay for..."

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-14-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
The amazing thing is that the apartment they looked at and the house they bought were the same price. Actually, I think the house was cheaper.

The article doesn't mention this, but coop apartment prices are all over the map within Jackson Heights. To some degree, the price reflects the amount of space you are getting (with multiple bathrooms raising the price significantly) but also, the price can also reflect the quality of the building -- how well kept it is, the location and the building's finances.

The building mentioned in the article is one of the top-tier buildings where the large apartments are going for $600 to $800 K. If anyone is planning to buy in Jackson Heights, I think it makes sense to look at properties through a realtor who has local knowledge, and not just some MLS rep who has no idea what the differences are between the various buildings.

Also when looking at comps, the only comps that seem to matter are comps within the same building. The comps for a neighboring building can have wildly different prices due to a number of factors, some of which I mentioned above.

Other factors that can keep prices low in a building are: coop
- is on leased land
- has high flip tax
-has poor finances and you could get hit with a high maintenance increase or an assessment if something big happens like a problem with the elevator or roof
- is poorly maintained
- has a high building mortgage
- has such a strict board and rules that selling is next to impossible
- is far from the train
- has no amenities (no garden or parking garage)

etc.
Your right about the Hawthorne. They have elevators that open up right into your apt. 700k for an apartment? Sounds like a lot but is JH the next area? I guess time will tell.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Your right about the Hawthorne. They have elevators that open up right into your apt. 700k for an apartment? Sounds like a lot but is JH the next area? I guess time will tell.
There's an apartment for sale in that building right now for $900,000! Jackson Heights Queens Coop Listings

Old 04-14-2014, 08:51 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Are coops in JH worth more than rowhouses or detached homes in JH/Elmhurst?

Old 04-14-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Are coops in JH worth more than rowhouses or detached homes in JH/Elmhurst?
Only the ones in these very specific buildings -- I am not sure of a complete list, but a few are: The Hawthorne, The Towers and The Chateau. There is a list of the named buildings (not all buildings have names but I don't know why) here JACKSON HEIGHTS GARDENS

There are plenty of very nice, financially solid buildings with gardens in the historic district where the largest apartments (like 2 bedroom 2 bath) are still going for $450K and you can still get an 850 sq foot one bedroom for $250K.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
There's an apartment for sale in that building right now for $900,000! Jackson Heights Queens Coop Listings
Yeah, I saw that. I think the broker is the owner of that place. I helped buddies move from JH in 93. Had some beers at a bar called Budds? I texted them those prices and they just laugh. That area got hit hard with the cocaine trade in the late 80's and early 90's. Nice to see that some places have maintained and then some. BTW I like the way the Greystones look. I think they are walkups?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: