Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 06:12 PM

41 posts, read 41,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
Last time i look, the evil eva academy have multiple schools ranked in top 5%. Are you going to show me some studies that charter school is not working from some union backed study?

Charter school work, some work better than others. Accountability is there. Thanks to the iron-clad union contract, there is no accountability or incentive for the public school teachers to do better. Why should they? Either way, they are set for life.
I think it's silly to say that charter schools are better than public schools and vice versa, just like not all private schools are great or even good schools. A charter school is just a school that doesnt have to follow the strict rules that a traditional public school does. It doesn't mean that a school with this freedom will necessarily use it wisely or in a way that will improve education. In fact, as a general rule, it will use this freedom to do whatever it can to survive, and if there are changes that won't enrich education but will increase its chance of survival, that's what it will do, hence the suspicions about cherry picking students. On the other hand, if a charter school is not going to make an effort to take care of disabled or LEP students, I see no point in forcing those students on them--that benefits no one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 06:15 PM

384 posts, read 512,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TresChic314 View Post
I think it's silly to say that charter schools are better than public schools and vice versa, just like not all private schools are great or even good schools.
x1000

Old 04-15-2014, 07:22 PM

145 posts, read 227,238 times
Quote:
if a charter school is not going to make an effort to take care of disabled or LEP students, I see no point in forcing those students on them--that benefits no one.

LEP? Huh? Do you mean IEP?

Old 04-15-2014, 11:22 PM

222 posts, read 715,061 times
FYI,

LEP means limited English proficiency. Nowadays I don't see this abbreviation used very often. Instead, these students are referred to as ELL English language learner.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:45 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,624,641 times
Quote:
Are you kidding? People do that all the time.
Will the doctor have his license revoked? Will his pay be downgraded because his patient didn't listen to him? And will the hospital he's affiliated with lose funding and then have that money go toward a hospital that only treats compliant patients?

Old 04-16-2014, 10:38 AM

47 posts, read 43,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TresChic314
I think it's silly to say that charter schools are better than public schools and vice versa, just like not all private schools are great or even good schools.
No one is arguing that every charter school is bad or every public school is great.

There are some awesome charter schools doing great work (I wouldn't count Success in this category) but the question is whether charter schools are viable as a system. And they simply aren't for a myriad of reasons that have been outlined in this and other threads. One of the problems is that they suck up resources and money from public schools (or try to replace them like in New Orleans) and the most vulnerable children tend to get excluded or not served.

The fact is public resources and money should remain under public administration with the accountability standards and democratic processes associated with them, charter schools circumvent that and have zero accountability within the communities they move into (and no the "free market" doesn't provide accountability). That's the problem not that every individual charter school is terrible or every public school is great.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlover84 View Post
LEP? Huh? Do you mean IEP?
Limited English proficiency. My bad, I don't know if people use that term in education.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Will the doctor have his license revoked? Will his pay be downgraded because his patient didn't listen to him? And will the hospital he's affiliated with lose funding and then have that money go toward a hospital that only treats compliant patients?
It's very hard to revoke a doctor's license, even when (s)he does egregious things, but yes people are moving towards paying doctors and hospitals for outcomes. There is now a rule in place that if a patient comes back to you within 30 days of discharge from the hospital, Medicare will not pay for it. This is despite the fact that in certain areas, a huge percentage of bouncebacks is from noncompliance to medical instructions. People see it as a PCP/generalist's responsibility to make sure care happens regardless of how invested a patient may be in his/her own health, and it's part of the reason there is this greater push for patient centered medical homes and providers/systems are getting more aggressive about things like compliance with basic preventative medicine.

I'm not saying every single one of these things make sense, but they are definitely happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City