Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 06:54 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times

Advertisements

Don't be concerned about the race crap. It is a non issue. Neighborhoods such as Bed-Stuy, Bushwick, Flatbush, ENY, Brownsville and Crown Heights are far more racist to the point that they actually kill black and brown people over there. You won't find that in Bay Ridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 08:13 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumberbob View Post
I work in Manhattan near Harlem so i'd estimate my drive would be around 40 minutes. The thing I like about it is that it seems affordable for the price range i want (1100) and it sounds like a relatively safe area. People tell me it's a long drive but back home i'd drive an hour to work each day.

If anyone has any info or thoughts on the bay ridge area, please share!
Better check the status of repairs on the Pulaski Bridge and the implications on your commute time, even given that you plan to drive off peak. Also there are patches of the BQE where the road gets bumpy and could be damaging to your car if you drive through every day. If it's that bad (don't know for sure), you may want to look at somewhere in northwest Queens like Astoria, Long Island City, Woodside, Sunnyside, Jackson Hts or East Elmhurst where you can easily get into the GCP or Northern BQE and cross to Harlem via the Triboro Bridge/RFK. There's a toll fee to use TB/RFK but I found it to be worth it when I need to catch the FDR.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Better check the status of repairs on the Pulaski Bridge and the implications on your commute time, even given that you plan to drive off peak. Also there are patches of the BQE where the road gets bumpy and could be damaging to your car if you drive through every day. If it's that bad (don't know for sure), you may want to look at somewhere in northwest Queens like Astoria, Long Island City, Woodside, Sunnyside, Jackson Hts or East Elmhurst where you can easily get into the GCP or Northern BQE and cross to Harlem via the Triboro Bridge/RFK. There's a toll fee to use TB/RFK but I found it to be worth it when I need to catch the FDR.
Or Forest Hills, your favorite neighborhood, where you'll have access to all the highways via the Kew Gardens interchange.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:31 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
you'll have access to all the highways via the Kew Gardens interchange.
Or exit via Jewel Ave.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:53 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,690,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Originally Posted by nycjowww
Bay ridge isn't racist whatsoever. You have Hispanics, Arabs and whites who live together. I know a Christian African American couple who love it there. The community isn't as anger filled like Bensonhurst where a number of Italians are becoming sick to their stomach that their neighborhood is turning into Chinatown.

Yes a lot of Chinese are moving into the neighborhood. But, if the Italians stayed, this would not have happened so you can't be mad at the Chinese for moving in, now, can you?

I'm in Bath Beach, just over 86th street, we have a few new Chinese families on the block, they are nice and we have no problems. So I don't know what the "anger" thing is your talking about. There are a lot of Chinese merchants along 86th Street that we are friends with are are so nice to us. We also have Arab, Mexican and every other thing you can think of, and I am Greek.

Bay Ridge is safe, so is Bath Beach - Bensonhurst and Gravesend.
parking in BR is horrible though, and that is the truth, bu it is a great neighborhood.

I think Bath Beach and Bensonhurst are the last of the affordable neighborhoods, that's because we are the furthest from the City. But for me it doesn't matter.

Your 100% correct. Can't take the bag of cash then wonder where did all the Italians go . Side note on Bensonhurst, Villa Abate has the best pastries in NYC. Also that bakery on 77-79 on 17th has tremendous bread. Il Fornaretto Bakery

Bay Ridge is a great area. Tough driving into midtown or uptown from there. The express bus into downtown manhattan is ok. Right through the tunnel in the HOV lane.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Side note on Bensonhurst, Villa Abate has the best pastries in NYC. Also that bakery on 77-79 on 17th has tremendous bread. Il Fornaretto Bakery
Sorry to continue with the topic change on this thread, but what about Italian markets in Bensonhurst? Is there a best one?

Old 04-16-2014, 09:17 AM

269 posts, read 288,029 times
I've lived in NY for over 4 years now. Astoria for 1 year(hated it!), Fort Greene for 3 years( liked it but lots of shady ppl at night) and now Bay Ridge for a few months and I absolutely love it! The ppl are so friendly & warm over here I sometimes I forget I'm in New York. I was worried that I might not feel comfortable seeing as though I'm half black but I don't feel any racism at all. It's an all around great neighborhood!

Old 04-17-2014, 11:12 AM

5 posts, read 11,578 times
I live in Williamsburg now, but if I stay in New York, I want to move further into Brooklyn. I've actually been giving some thought to bay ridge recently as well.

How's the area in terms of night life? Are there young people that live in the area?

Old 04-17-2014, 11:50 AM

2,605 posts, read 3,403,359 times
I love Bay Ridge, its the perfect neighborhood. It has a great mix of an urban and suburban feel to it. Yes it has a very good night life and a plethora of bars and restaurants. I lived there for 6 years and I loved it. I was very sad to leave Bay Ridge but I didn't want to rent anymore and I wanted to buy. Unfortunately anything worth buying was out of my budget.

Anyone who claims that race will be an issue in Bay Ridge is a fool who knows nothing about the area. My building was a complete melting pot and I got a long with everyone. The good thing about Bay Ridge is that it is further away from the city than other neighborhoods so the Hipster presence is non existent.

OP, you biggest issue is the commute to work. Expect it to take anywhere from 1 1/2 to 2 hours to get to work everyday if you are traveling to Harlem. In all honesty you might hate it. Maybe you should look at other neighborhoods in the Bronx or Queens.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:06 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,690,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
I love Bay Ridge, its the perfect neighborhood. It has a great mix of an urban and suburban feel to it. Yes it has a very good night life and a plethora of bars and restaurants. I lived there for 6 years and I loved it. I was very sad to leave Bay Ridge but I didn't want to rent anymore and I wanted to buy. Unfortunately anything worth buying was out of my budget.

Anyone who claims that race will be an issue in Bay Ridge is a fool who knows nothing about the area. My building was a complete melting pot and I got a long with everyone. The good thing about Bay Ridge is that it is further away from the city than other neighborhoods so the Hipster presence is non existent.

OP, you biggest issue is the commute to work. Expect it to take anywhere from 1 1/2 to 2 hours to get to work everyday if you are traveling to Harlem. In all honesty you might hate it. Maybe you should look at other neighborhoods in the Bronx or Queens.
Deeken, hate to be the bearer of bad news. Right in front of Casa Calamari, I saw the "Hipster". Glasses, Wool hat, skinny jeans and satchel bag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City