Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 08:01 AM

6 posts, read 5,424 times

Advertisements

I had intended to sublet my apartment for the duration of 15 days during which I was out of the country. My building management found out about it and asked my landlord to send me a mail asking me to not do so or face legal consequences. I immediately removed my listing.

Now my landlord claims that the building management is imposing a legal fee on them since I intended to sublet. I can prove that I did not sublet either before or after being asked to stop.

My landlord is refusing to return my security deposit now. Do I have a case here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 08:20 AM

2,606 posts, read 3,405,223 times
If they don't give you back your security deposit you can either not pay them rent for the last month you live there or take them to court. Just the intention of subletting raised a red flag to them and they may just want to set an example with you.

Seriously though, I'm sure it was in your contract that you were not allowed to sublet but you decided to try to do so anyways. And only for 15 day? Its not like you were going to be out a few months. What if the person you subletted to did some serious damage to the apartment? You can't just take it upon yourself to sublet this apartment that you don't own. Just the fact that you tried to do it until you got caught puts them in the right. I think they have to right to hold your deposit. You could send them a letter appologizing for your actions and promising not to do it again. Maybe they will give you a another chance. If they don't then take my advice above. Good luck regardless

Old 04-28-2014, 08:26 AM

Thanks for the quick reply deeken.

It is a standard lease which has a clause asking to seek owner's permission before subletting. I was looking to let it out during the time so I can recover the cost of my vacation (greedy, I know in hindsight!)

I have vacated the apartment and have not been given my security deposit since 60 days (the maximum time as per the lease). I am considering taking them to the Small Claims court or mediation. They claim that I sublet it before they informed me but are unwilling to provide any proof.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:37 AM

2,606 posts, read 3,405,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arunnandi View Post
Thanks for the quick reply deeken.

It is a standard lease which has a clause asking to seek owner's permission before subletting. I was looking to let it out during the time so I can recover the cost of my vacation (greedy, I know in hindsight!)

I have vacated the apartment and have not been given my security deposit since 60 days (the maximum time as per the lease). I am considering taking them to the Small Claims court or mediation. They claim that I sublet it before they informed me but are unwilling to provide any proof.
If you are out of the apartment then taking them to court is probably your only option. You have to realize these landlords will do anything possible to keep your security deposit. I've lived in a few buildings and almost all of them tried to screw me one way or another. They make you sign lots of paperwork saying they can keep your deposit if you do something that is in breach of contract. The last apartment I lived in I just stayed out the last month on the security deposit. I won't be able to use them as a reference though.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:57 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,141,966 times
Quote:
I had intended to sublet my apartment for the duration of 15 days during which I was out of the country. My building management found out about it and asked my landlord to send me a mail asking me to not do so or face legal consequences. I immediately removed my listing.

Now my landlord claims that the building management is imposing a legal fee on them since I intended to sublet. I can prove that I did not sublet either before or after being asked to stop.

My landlord is refusing to return my security deposit now. Do I have a case here?
What does your lease say about
1) subletting
2) loss of security deposit if you break lease terms?

Old 04-28-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
What does your lease say about
1) subletting
2) loss of security deposit if you break lease terms?
"You cannot assign this Lease or sublet the Apartment without Owner's advance written consent in each instance to a request made by You in the manner required by Real Property Law § to consent to a lease assignment for any reason or no reason, but if Owner unreasonably refuses to consent to request for a Lease assignment properly made, at your request in writing, Owner will end this Lease effective as of thirty days after your request."

And about the security deposit:

"if You do not carry out all your agreements in this Lease, Owner may keep all or part of your security deposit and any interest which has not yet been paid to You"

Old 04-28-2014, 09:09 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,141,966 times
It sounds like you will have to sue them in small claims court. There must be information online somewhere about how to do so.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:16 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,223,538 times
They'd have to have Tommy Jefferson or Saul Goodman or maybe William Jennings Bryant as a lawyer to come up with a reason that "intending to sublet" meant they could take your security deposit.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:00 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Quote:

They arrest people for attempted robbery or attempted murder all the time....in your case it's attempt to sublet. Lol.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-28-2014, 08:30 PM

575 posts, read 672,893 times
Quote:
"You cannot assign this Lease or sublet the Apartment without Owner's advance written consent in each instance to a request made by You in the manner required by Real Property Law § to consent to a lease assignment for any reason or no reason, but if Owner unreasonably refuses to consent to request for a Lease assignment properly made, at your request in writing, Owner will end this Lease effective as of thirty days after your request."

And about the security deposit:

"if You do not carry out all your agreements in this Lease, Owner may keep all or part of your security deposit and any interest which has not yet been paid to You"

Hypothetically, had you found a ready, willing and able, sub-tenant, you would have asked the Landlord in writing for permission as per the written lease, before entering into an agreement to assign or sublet the apt.

That "assignment clause" language is a new one to me. I am familiar with the Landlord wanting the request in writing, and language that says that "permission may be denied in Landlord's sole and absolute discretion". And I have seen language that says that "consent may not be unreasonably withheld".

Your lease language on the assignment issue is very vague, arbitrary and capricious, as my lawyer would say.

Methinks you will win your case re the deposit as it does not appear you violated the terms of conditions of the lease, as far as the sections that you have quoted. Leases that are not crystal clear (opposite of vague) on an issue, are generally held in favor NOT in the interest of the person who prepared or provided the Lease (or Contract, as the case may be). Therefore, if you did not prepare the Lease, any issue in a court of law, should be in your favor, if said issue is vague, arbitrary or capricious.

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT A LAWYER AND THIS IS NOT INTENDED TO BE LEGAL ADVICE. CONTACT AN ATTORNEY FOR LEGAL ADVICE.

Good luck OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: