Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 06:37 PM

620 posts, read 1,073,805 times

Advertisements

I have been reading for quite some time about gentrification blah blah.... but honestly when I explore around Bedstuy, bushwick, LES and parts that are "done" according to many. its still very gritty.

I mean im sure it was way worse in the 80-90's but its still pretty hood. Even in Bushwick in the " yuppy" part it didn't seem nice to me at all. Vey industrial and then it turns to the hood.

I saw maybe 2-3 white people walking and REALLY standing out..not really socializing with the local bushwick people. Are they OK with just being able to afford the rent even though they seemingly don't blend in the with the locals. I mean the ones I saw seemed outright uncomfortable .

Is it due to projects having a heavy presence in this area ??? To be honest I don't see what the fuss is about, neither do I see why people are paying sooo much to live in these areas which arent visually appealing .These areas are still ghetto.

Can anyone enlighten me ?

Old 05-01-2014, 06:51 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,082,631 times
I don't think you need to be enlightened.What you said is the reality.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:06 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,137,919 times
I was in the "good" part of Bushwick a few weeks ago and I was struck by how strange it looked to have a few really hipster-ish places smack in the middle of what looked like industrial wasteland. It was an odd juxtaposition. I was near Roberta's restaurant, and there was also a Japanese place and an organic store.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7049...rQ!2e0!6m1!1e1

We accidentally walked down one street that seemed extra creepy and deserted. I felt like I was in a Law and Order episode where they dump the bodies. https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7068...WFZQDf4tlg!2e0

Old 05-01-2014, 08:23 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,755,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I was in the "good" part of Bushwick a few weeks ago and I was struck by how strange it looked to have a few really hipster-ish places smack in the middle of what looked like industrial wasteland. It was an odd juxtaposition. I was near Roberta's restaurant, and there was also a Japanese place and an organic store.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7049...rQ!2e0!6m1!1e1

We accidentally walked down one street that seemed extra creepy and deserted. I felt like I was in a Law and Order episode where they dump the bodies. https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7068...WFZQDf4tlg!2e0
Yea it really looks weird to see the hipster places in Stuy Heights. I remember when the closest hipster joint was in Williamsburg. I am hoping that the pioneers keep it coming.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:32 PM

900 posts, read 2,373,126 times
It doesn't happen all at once you know.lol

Like White people come rushing in like a cattle call. Lol

From my observance, White people tend to walk fast from point A to point B. They don't want to smooze much (the exception is those who are comfortable around Black people or have Black friends).

These neighborhoods haven't fully gentrified. Once the neighborhood become more balanced with more upper and middle classes from any race I think you'll see more White people around. When crime is a threat you won't see to many people hanging out no matter the color.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:36 PM

510 posts, read 1,443,708 times
You said it yourself- it's "gritty" which is what most of the young 'hip' crowd seems to be going for. I do think that that's part of the draw to some of these areas though. I personally think Bed Stuy is a little different because it has such amazing brownstones- many in need of some repair, yes. But the repair is happening and those areas are just a different beast. To me Bushwick and the LES only have the potential to be so much with the architecture and layout that is present. But really, my theory is this: It's no secret that most hipsters have a good amount of money behind them (mom and dad, whatever). Yet they are shaking their suburban wealthy roots for the struggle of city life. It wouldn't be that different from where they came from if they lived in Park Slope or whatever. So Bushwick it is! The closest thing to old-school gritty NY that they can find that's still considered hip and worthy of bragging about lol.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:48 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,976,573 times
Isn't that area East Williamsburg rather that Bushwick proper. Bushwick proper has some good and bad too. Best time to take a walk in either of these neighborhoods is during the summer. This is when you really get to see the good, the bad and the ugly. Been there and done that.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:00 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,137,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMassa View Post
Isn't that area East Williamsburg rather that Bushwick proper. Bushwick proper has some good and bad too. Best time to take a walk in either of these neighborhoods is during the summer. This is when you really get to see the good, the bad and the ugly. Been there and done that.
I don't know, is the area I linked to East Williamsburg? I think you might be right. It's funny how 10 years ago realtors were clamoring to call anything in Bushwick "East Williamsburg" and now it's the other way around.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:29 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,260,849 times
This is Roberta's, the hot restaurant in Bushwick. You gotta love it.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7048...68974!2e1!3e10

Old 05-01-2014, 10:12 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
This is Roberta's, the hot restaurant in Bushwick. You gotta love it.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7048...68974!2e1!3e10
Roberta's is possibly opening up a location in the Rockaways?

Roberta's Pizza Eyeing Rockaway Outpost, Sources Say - Rockaway Beach - DNAinfo.com New York
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City