Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 10:39 PM

148 posts, read 276,852 times

Advertisements

If that Cheeseburger goes to $12, GOOD. Eat at home. These people will work hard their entire lives and have no savings.

Just like the bailout - if a company can't roll with the changes, they need to go down hard, and give others chances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 04:24 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Minimum wage is $15 an hour and weed is legal? I think many young adults across the country have simultaneously reconsidered going to college.
If you go to college you can still land a job making a lot more than $15 an hour in Seattle. Particularly if it's tech related.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:33 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous725 View Post
$20/hr minimum wage for NYC would be a good thing to watch.
I'd take that if we could abolish rent stabilization in exchange.

In general I would much rather see a world where people are incentivized (sp?) to go to work and make that decent dollar, rather than one where the floor to a bare minimum existence gets artificially lowered by the government to where people don't really have to get out of bed and go get something.

I'm starting to sound like a right winger here aren't I? I swear I'm not.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:03 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:

I'm starting to sound like a right winger here aren't I? I swear I'm not.
No, what you sound like is a LANDLORD. ("Mo money, Mo money, Mo money.")

Old 06-03-2014, 08:52 AM

8,678 posts, read 11,069,654 times
Group calls for $15-an-hour minimum wage in Chicago - chicagotribune.com

seems like some people in Chicago wants to raise the minimum wage too. Why in the world does she have $500 monthly car payments? I bet she has a $200 cell phone plan too.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:33 AM

542 posts, read 1,682,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlover84 View Post
I think it should be raised for sure, but $15/hr is too high-- I was making that a few months ago while teaching at a private school. I have a degree and teaching experience. I'd hate to think someone with a HS education working at Mcdonalds is making the same as me. It'd make me feel like my degree/experience was worthless.
Understood, but then you wouldn't need to spend hundreds of thousands on a college education when you can make the same salary with a high school education and work at McDonalds.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:35 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_show View Post
Understood, but then you wouldn't need to spend hundreds of thousands on a college education when you can make the same salary with a high school education and work at McDonalds.
Who cares?

People need to stop categorizing each other by what they do. In fifty years, having a job will be worthy of enough respect. If we don't keep increasing the minimum wage, 50% of the workforce will be on welfare due to automation. We need the spending power in our economy so people can buy goods. We also need to bring back unions, hike the minimum wage even more, and beg corporations to hire people. It is going to take a good amount of government intervention to keep people at work.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:21 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,255,436 times
$30,000 a year to flip burgers. Plus additional social security and Medicare payments made by the employee. Add another $3,000.

Every fast-food restaurant in Seattle that can will automate; you will no longer order from a human. Menu items that take too much preparation will be discontinued. The small business who was thinking about hiring the 3rd or 4th employee will manage without. The summer job market for teenagers will be wiped out.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:24 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,255,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
There are lots of people working in Manhattan for less that $15 per hour, mostly in service industries. I'd be happy if McDonald's & the other fast-food restaurants permitted tipping. With the volume in those places, even small change would add up, and be a nice addition even when divided up among all the workers.
It's a great idea. Twenty cents tip here, 40 cents tip there, and even an occasional dollar, and before you know it you have a nice hourly wage. They guys at my local deli, judged by how stuffed the tip jar is, do very well.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:08 PM

5,099 posts, read 4,959,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Good for Seattle.
They are far more sane than those in Congress trying to turn the United States into a third world nation making sure the mega millionaires become billionaires, while those at the bottom test new lows.

The GOP won't even allow a VOTE on raising the pitiful minimum wage.

Poor mom and pops...it's getting harder and harder for them to find wetbacks that they can pay HALF the minimum wage to while paying none of their social security and Medicare. Poor dears.
They should relocate back to Tijuana, Odessa, Calcutta, Seoul, Beijing, Baghdad and San Juan where they can make it big time.
How sad it will be to see them all board the next tramp steamer home.

what is the logo for like something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: