Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 09:16 PM

3 posts, read 7,095 times

Advertisements

I am a student in Columbia and try to find room around. I am male, Asian.
I found one on Saint Nicholas Terrace, between 129th and 130th street. It is in walk distance from columbia and the rent is relatively low. Is this place a safe place to live? How is the neighborhood?

Another possible choice maybe on 7th avenue, between 120th and 121st street. The location is souther but easter. And the room is a little more expensive. What about this one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 09:46 PM

395 posts, read 1,214,683 times
In the building closer to 129th (between 129th and 130th) on the Terrace, I rented an apartment three years ago to a family from St Louis, who are used to quiet suburbs, shrubbery and the like. Needless to say, they still live there and like the area. The only problems they have ever had is the noise and amount of people that populate the street during the summertime, and it can get especially crowded because the basketball court in the park is right across the street. They also had a problem with the loud noise and fireworks around New Years and 4th of July. As for safety, I am sure there is someone on this forum who could speak to that.
As for 7th and 121st, please note that while on Google Maps it may look like a closer walk to Columbia, Morningside Park does close (I believe around 10 or 11ish) and police officers ride through the park and ticket people they spot walking through it. If you are ever coming home late from the college and do not want to risk getting stopped, you will have to walk up to 123rd and go around the park. I lived on 118th and Lenox for a while, and never had a problem or felt unsafe (I'm also a male, in my 20s).
If I had to pick between the two, I would pick 120th and 7th because I myself am more familiar with that part of Harlem. As well, the corridor along 8th (Frederick Douglass) has developed a lot and there are a lot of young professionals that live in that area as well (in the newer buildings along 8th and a few on Manhattan).

Old 07-24-2012, 05:21 AM

3 posts, read 7,095 times
Thanks for sheaosaurus's reply, it is very helpful to me

Last edited by zmxlegend; 07-24-2012 at 05:22 AM.. Reason: type error

Old 07-24-2012, 07:41 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,931,471 times
The building on 129th / the Terrace is far closer to Columbia.

Safety and quality-of-life are two separate, if perhaps related, issues.

Safety: There are shootings. Not that you would (why?!) but do not linger by the social service housing on the Terrace between 127th/128th and on 127th Street. You will see the hoards of generational poverty hanging out every night. There have been shootings IN buildings, especially the ones across from the court. But I think I know the building you are considering, recently purchased and a real plan to turn things around - has a shared terrace, yes ?

If your landlord is Pinnacle, there have been many violent attacks and shootings IN that building - although, I believe they lost most of them in bankruptcy so there will be someone different. We know half a dozen people who left the building at 128th - north side - for that reason. I have the sense that the building on the south side is better, different tenant population. The building across is a co-op. The building with the backyard terrace is mostly populated by decent people, and the landlord is not putting up with ghetto baloney.

Quality of life: On the lower Terrace, garbage and litter everywhere. Unsupervised children screeching and using the worst language you have ever heard, far into the night. No amenities, really, although there is a french restaurant opening on 127th, corner of St. N. Avenue. The bodegas are bottom.

Adam Clayton Powell has always had a lot of problems, and in fact, I would not describe that area so differently except to add that I believe there are serious gang problems there. Here, they come west, especially from the FD Houses, but it is not their primary venue and this will be curtailed as the neighborhood changes even more. As it is now, when people call the police they arrive immediately, disperse adolescents, whatever. This is not the case in Central Harlem.

I would choose the Terrace place over ACP because it is far closer to CU, walking is completely feasible, and the area will change tremendously, very rapidly, over the next couple of years. Getting a decent place there would be a good investment, so to speak. This is in part due to the Columbia building projects, and in part due to different significant real estate purchases, including several buildings in the area you mention. The area is considered superior investment-wise because it is not Central Harlem, being west of the park. In fact it is not Harlem at all, but Manhattanville.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:45 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,984,584 times
i'd choose 129th. CCNY security patrols extend to that area, whereas on adam clayton powell (aka 7th) you're beyond the perimeter of the Columbia ones.

it's a pretty close call though safetywise, a modest edge to 129th

maybe just pick the nicer apartment

agree with HR's notion that the area from columbia up to CCNY is likely to improve over the years but personally don't feel like waiting

if you can find a place that's really in morningside heights and afford it then move there

Old 07-24-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheaosaurus View Post
In the building closer to 129th (between 129th and 130th) on the Terrace, I rented an apartment three years ago to a family from St Louis, who are used to quiet suburbs, shrubbery and the like. Needless to say, they still live there and like the area. The only problems they have ever had is the noise and amount of people that populate the street during the summertime, and it can get especially crowded because the basketball court in the park is right across the street. They also had a problem with the loud noise and fireworks around New Years and 4th of July. As for safety, I am sure there is someone on this forum who could speak to that.
Yes - the closer you get to City College, the better things get - area and specific buildings. City College has been doing its own building, far less press than the CU projects, and the new structures are making significant inroads south into the lower Terrace. Again, things will change tremendously in the near future.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post

agree with HR's notion that the area from columbia up to CCNY is likely to improve over the years but personally don't feel like waiting
There won't be much waiting. Things have already been put into place. For example, HPD has taken back a few of the TIL buildings in the area, appointing outside management. There were three, to be exact, in the last few weeks. All on 128th and the Terrace.

Moreover, a process of evictions has begun, most significantly on Morningside Avenue, buildings we call "the slum in the ghetto." Aggressive removal of anti-socials.

That said, I would NOT consider any of those buildings just yet ! Simply awful. Morningside just above and below 125th - 126th.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
There won't be much waiting.
i hear you

but I have to move by aug. 31

probably going to do inwood west of broadway

it's just still too "meh" around hamilton heights. i'm there every day

maybe convent from 137-145

i think I'm spoiled from living in midtown

Old 07-24-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
i hear you

but I have to move by aug. 31

probably going to do inwood west of broadway

it's just still too "meh" around hamilton heights. i'm there every day

maybe convent from 137-145

i think I'm spoiled from living in midtown
But Inwood is a great area - we have many friends. The apartments are terrific as well. I'm sure you will love it.

The challenge with upper Convent - no amenities AT ALL, and you must move through really ghetto areas to do anything at all. Then ... you will just be on Broadway, which is awful. We chose lower Convent, not as good but closer to FDB and the express subway to get the heck out of here. Also, very close to Columbia, which is very important for me.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
The challenge with upper Convent - no amenities AT ALL, and you must move through really ghetto areas to do anything at all
yes it's basically a really nice tree lined block surrounded by much much less nice blocks. i just liked the trees and idea of a 3 minute walk to school but realized i didn't want pizza every night for dinner (no decent restaurants )

i'm sure i'll be fine in inwood or wherever, it's just always a pain moving when your budget gets cut in half

but back to the OP... seems the consensus is for 129th in your situation. especially if it is cheaper

if i went to columbia instead of ccny though i'd probably spring the extra few hundred bucks for morningside heights. i used to live there and really liked it. if you're not in a rush look for something below 125th near amsterdam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City