Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 10:17 AM

503 posts, read 899,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
I don't hate poor people.

I hate poor people who refuse to better themselves and have no motivation to get off the government dole.
Low income housing is fine as a temporary solution, but if it becomes a multigenerational lifestyle, its wasting my tax money.
Preaching to the choir. It has become one and there's no end in sight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 11:06 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,097,722 times
Quote:

and have no motivation to get off the government dole.
Me too.
But for the record the biggest share of the government dole goes to stockholders in Lockheed Martin ($36 Billion,) Boeing ($19 Billion, ) Northrop Grumman ($16 Billion) and the other 97 freeloaders you can read for yourself.
Top 100 Contractors of the U.S. federal government - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These are the REAL pigs at the trough.

Denigrating some poor slob getting a miserly subsidy for an ugly apartment in a hellhole part of town is tasteless and vulgar (to put it kindly.)

And if you think that the laziness is multigenerational you should talk to some of the 7th generation of Cornelius Vanderbilt who need only clip bond coupons, or have an accountant with scissors to do it FOR them. When they bend over their asses are wiped seemingly by magic.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:29 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,262,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Me too.

Denigrating some poor slob getting a miserly subsidy for an ugly apartment in a hellhole part of town is tasteless and vulgar (to put it kindly.)
I don't denigrate these people. I feel sorry for them.

The Left's view of compassion is the following - "Here is your free housing, here are your food stamps, here is your welfare check and here is your free healthcare (Medicaid)."

And The Left could care less if these poor people rot in their housing project hell, get fat, have babies, and accomplish nothing for the rest of their lives, because these people have been "taken care of" by the government.

Here is a summary of De Blasio's housing plan - you can build 30 stories and 200 units. But we'll let you build 35 and 240 units if 40 of them "affordable." Thousands or tens of thousands of people apply for the 40 units, and 40 win the lottery. The 40 that won the lottery might be moving from living situations where the rent was exactly the same as it will be in the brand spanking new 35-story building.

Essentially, De Blasio as mayor will have ZERO IMPACT on his vaunted goal of lessening "inequality."

Old 05-07-2014, 12:40 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,990,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
I don't denigrate these people. I feel sorry for them.

The Left's view of compassion is the following - "Here is your free housing, here are your food stamps, here is your welfare check and here is your free healthcare (Medicaid)."

And The Left could care less if these poor people rot in their housing project hell, get fat, have babies, and accomplish nothing for the rest of their lives, because these people have been "taken care of" by the government.

Here is a summary of De Blasio's housing plan - you can build 30 stories and 200 units. But we'll let you build 35 and 240 units if 40 of them "affordable." Thousands or tens of thousands of people apply for the 40 units, and 40 win the lottery. The 40 that won the lottery might be moving from living situations where the rent was exactly the same as it will be in the brand spanking new 35-story building.

Essentially, De Blasio as mayor will have ZERO IMPACT on his vaunted goal of lessening "inequality."
Welfare is not the cause of all suffering for the poor. Working class poor people live in overcrowded apartments crammed with too many people, or single family houses converted into multiple family homes. And then there are those who fall through the system's cracks and become long term homeless. Either situation is equally bad.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:03 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,068,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Me too.
But for the record the biggest share of the government dole goes to stockholders in Lockheed Martin ($36 Billion,) Boeing ($19 Billion, ) Northrop Grumman ($16 Billion) and the other 97 freeloaders you can read for yourself.
Top 100 Contractors of the U.S. federal government - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Guess we should go defenseless. At least that spending is creating jobs and opportunity.

What does giving assistance to poor people do?....create slumlords, increase sales of Welch's Grape Drink, fund drug purchases,.....

Old 05-07-2014, 01:06 PM

503 posts, read 899,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Guess we should go defenseless. At least that spending is creating jobs and opportunity.

What does giving assistance to poor people do?....create slumlords, increase sales of Welch's Grape Drink, fund drug purchases,.....
I like Welch's though

Old 05-07-2014, 01:33 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,542,542 times
The left needs to create a permanent government dependent welfare class because its their voting base.

Its so easy to demonize the wealthy and scream "corporate welfare". Guess what, they drive the economy and create jobs (and each job pays federal/state/social security/medicare taxes).

Old 05-07-2014, 01:35 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,990,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post

I love Welch's 100% Purple Grape Juice!

Before welfare you still had slums, tenement housing, and shanty town shacks. Substance abuse (alcohol and drug) was a problem before welfare too.

Btw, assistance to poor people create jobs in the medical/hospital complex and in fields such as social services/mental health. That creates opportunity as some of these people are paid quite well. Many of these people purchase homes and cars and make up a big chunk of New York's middle class. Assistance to poor people also helps fund colleges and universities and that also creates jobs and opportunities as some professors and universities administrators are paid well.

The Section 8 money really goes straight to the company that owns the apartment taking the welfare programs, and that supports the people working for that company.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:05 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,262,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I love Welch's 100% Purple Grape Juice!

The Section 8 money really goes straight to the company that owns the apartment taking the welfare programs, and that supports the people working for that company.
Section 8 pays ridiculously high GUARANTEED rents to landlords who could never get these rents in the free market, and certainly could not be guaranteed that the rent would be paid every month.

And without Section 8, the people working for that company would still be working for that company.

And of course the tenant has on incentive to get a job because you lose the Section 8 subsidy. The system fosters total dependency, and really stinks.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:31 PM

25,373 posts, read 37,097,722 times
Quote:

Guess we should go defenseless.
Of course, by that you mean Orwellian doublespeak for "Guess should stop warmaking preparation." And the answer is "Perhaps we should try it."

There is an actual difference between aggression and defense.

My point is that ultimately almost the entire budget of the United States goes to the rich.
Section 8? The money goes to landlords
Medicare and Medicaid? The money goes to doctors and hospital corporations
Food Stamps? The money goes to agriculture and food conglomerates.
Warmaking? The money goes to those corporations in charge of warmaking capability

The poor get squat.

And the rich squeal because they are not getting ENOUGH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City