Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 03:31 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,526,707 times

Advertisements

This is my understanding of how the housing lottery works (and it is a lottery and not dependent on when you file your application) based on personal experience and going to NYCHousing Connect meetings.

The lottery is open to all persons. Once the lottery for a particular building has ended, both the online and mail applications are entered into a computer. The computer randomly selects applications according to the criteria that was posted in the ad- income limits, community preferences, disability preferences, etc. Those applications are flagged and then divided into the various preference groups and given a log number. So it seems possible that someone who applied the minute the lottery was announced could be given a high log number and someone who sent their application in at the last minute could receive a low log number.

Of course I could be wrong since I have no inside information on how the process actually works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 04:41 PM

196 posts, read 330,154 times
So if somebody get a log number 01 to 99 they shouldn't be more hopeful then somebody with a log number 15,000-20,000

I alway thought the lottery part was just a bull**** label to hide what really doing , and is looking for the perfect fit , no crimal history , good credit score etc etc

Old 05-26-2016, 09:46 PM

6,682 posts, read 6,026,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
No.
How do you know? I'm interested in knowing the answer to that question myself. How are log numbers assigned, if not on a first come first served basis?

Old 05-27-2016, 05:59 AM

4,771 posts, read 6,560,761 times
Stormgal, this is from the marketing guidebook, which is from 2012, when paper applications were the norm, but I believe the guidelines are still being followed:

B. LOG GENERATION
On the initial lottery days scheduled, all applications, or a minimum number of applications equal to at least fifty (50) times the number of affordable units that are being marketed, will be opened and entered in a log in the order in which they were randomly opened. All names will then be selected in number order from this log. All subsequent loggings from this applicant pool, unless waived by the Agency, must take place in the presence of Agency staff. No preferences will be waived unless all applications received on time have been opened. For more information on preferences, see Section IV-B “Order of Processing” or Section IV-H-1 “Preferences.”

You see the phrase "randomly opened."

Here's the whole document if you are interested in learning more:

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/hpd/down...guidelines.pdf

Old 05-27-2016, 06:13 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,945,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Stormgal, this is from the marketing guidebook, which is from 2012, when paper applications were the norm, but I believe the guidelines are still being followed:

B. LOG GENERATION
On the initial lottery days scheduled, all applications, or a minimum number of applications equal to at least fifty (50) times the number of affordable units that are being marketed, will be opened and entered in a log in the order in which they were randomly opened. All names will then be selected in number order from this log. All subsequent loggings from this applicant pool, unless waived by the Agency, must take place in the presence of Agency staff. No preferences will be waived unless all applications received on time have been opened. For more information on preferences, see Section IV-B “Order of Processing†or Section IV-H-1 “Preferences.â€

You see the phrase "randomly opened."

Here's the whole document if you are interested in learning more:

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/hpd/down...guidelines.pdf

In the old days when only paper applications were accepted they simply took the envelopes put them in a bag, then in the presence of three parties (HPD, developer and whoever) sealed envelopes were drawn out. These would be opened, information collected, then assigned a log number.

Whole reason for that and subsequent arrangements is that these lotteries have been going on for decades now. Usually there wasn't such a huge demand because the buildings always weren't in the best parts of NYC, but anyway.... As you can imagine all sorts tried various tricks to get their family, friends, mistresses, etc... apartments. This ranged from elected officials, to city workers, connected construction, union workers, building owners, etc... So now to ensure everything is done on the up and up.

Old 05-27-2016, 07:50 AM

6,682 posts, read 6,026,463 times
I guess that's why it's called a lottery - it's all chance.

although I do know of a nurse who works for the city and who was called for three different developments. So maybe a log number is also assigned based on criteria, who knows.

Old 06-11-2016, 06:58 PM

1 posts, read 6,611 times
Default Help

After your application was pulled and you had an interview how long does it take for them to contact you if you got approved or not ??

Old 07-05-2016, 07:55 AM

9 posts, read 44,256 times
Hello everyone. I just wanted to share my experience thus far and spread some positivity to encourage you all. Although the log numbers indeed have effect, first things first is to create your profile with housing connect. Make sure to apply to ALL and I mean ALL the lotteries because you simply never know. Double check the building's requirement before and answer the applications as honestly as possible. Do not worry if things changer within a year or so in your life because once they contact you about being qualified or disqualified ,they will give their reason (s) and you will be given a chance to send any proof of changes or report anything that's changed since you applied so they may review and proceed with an interview. Now I must say, in all things, pray and be thankful to the most high because he can turn a no to a yes. That's what I've experienced. Out of all the applications I've applied for within the last year, I have 26 log numbers however I've only been contacted by 1! They sent me a letter saying I was disqualified due to my lack of income (I didn't input it on my application) they gave me 2 weeks to report and prove any changes. I quickly contacted and told them I'd like them to review my new information, I faxed in my income documentation and they decided to review it. I never heard a peek from them until after a month a half of me staying on top of them to see if they've done anything they said they would. Finally after calling numerous times, my review was approved for an interview. They said they'd send me an email of all the documents I may need to bring into the interview, they never sent any email but I used my common sense and went overly prepared with anything I may have needed for my situation. The interview went well. I was calm, laid back, and answered only the questions she asked me, made eye contact ,smiled and kept it simple , classy, intellectual with a bit of my personality to be able to laugh and converse about other things to loosen things up a little bit. Her aura and vibe was like mine, positive, straight forward , professional with a bit of humour as well. She was happy to see I came prepared regardless of the lack of communication. They love to see your attentiveness, they also screen to see if you're the type of tenant they would want in their building nevertheless the community. There are preferences which help such as you living within the community board or zip code, if you work for the city/state such as healthcare, bank,library etc. They will check your credit so make sure you're good with that or at least building your credit, make sure you don't have any public record on your credit report and if you do, as long as it's less than $2,000 don't panic. If you have had any arrests before , make sure you have a copy of your disposition just in case that comes up, you'll be ready to prove your past issue and it won't stop the process if it has nothing to do with housing so don't panic. We went over some paperwork and signing. She gave me a estimate of my portion of my rent and told me what I'm solely responsible for, basically anything else that wouldn't be covered in rent such as electricity etc. I agreed to my portion, I viewed 2 units that I fell in love with , the more spacious or better one in my opinion that I had wanted and chosen didn't fall through because someone's application for it went through so I took the other one, after all I did love both units and I already believe God is letting things happen in his will so I thank him every step of the way. She called me to let me know the application for my unit went through so everything is a go. They accept subsidies and vouchers as well by the way. I am ready to move my child and I into our new home and take great care of it. After all the pain I've endured iny life, God opened opportunities for us to be able, stable and willing and motivated to achieve and succeeded. Keep in mind, only 1 lottery contacted me, originally telling me no I don't qualify. Reading is fun for the mental is what I tell my child. Reading is "Fund"a mental is what I remind myself. Be rich in your mind, heart ,soul, body and spirit so be careful what you feed into these essentials that make you who you are. Stay positive ,stay focused , do good to others, be in tune with yourself and children if you have any, be in tune with the world. You are, will be and stay blessed. Spreading hope and blessings faithfully, J.D. God bless and fight for what you want and need, even if they say no, try your best until they say YES! GOD BLESS YOU ALL. AMEN.

Last edited by GODISGOOD2US; 07-05-2016 at 08:13 AM..

Old 07-05-2016, 08:15 AM

[quote=Teia031;44381472]After your application was pulled and you had an interview how long does it take for them to contact you if you got approved or not ??[/QUOTE

Not long at all. These places are ready to move in that's why they hold interviews. You should hear something withing a week or 2. Depends on how hard and fast your interviewer is working .

Old 07-05-2016, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
I guess that's why it's called a lottery - it's all chance.

although I do know of a nurse who works for the city and who was called for three different developments. So maybe a log number is also assigned based on criteria, who knows.

Its by chance. She's a nurse so she has the municipal preference and perhaps the community board preference as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery