Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 09:00 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,217,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You are aware that most people in rural areas don't farm, so a complete collapse of our financial system would be an utter disaster everywhere? Think mass starvation, and with that comes disease and obviously death.
The country would be a scary place if/when this happens. But it will be scarier in areas where people are hungry, their kids are hungry, and most importantly they are literally living on top of each other. If you don't comprehend what kind of savages people are who live like we do, then you soon would in this situation. Out in rural areas, things would obviously be bad too, but there would not be such pronounced violence amongst your fellow man, because you're not living in such rat trap like conditions. There are deer and fish out in the boonies to kill. If/when this happens, people will begin dispering from the cities due to such limited resources being available, on top of the violence epidemic on the streets.

Like I said, I'm not saying this will necessarily happen in any of our lifetimes. But who knows. I was simply taking issue with "crime will never be as bad as the 80's again". I'm suggesting that it will be far worse one day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 09:16 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,547 times
Mayor Bozo is implementing the same liberal policies as Lindsay and Beame. Soft on crime, bankrupting the budget by giving away goodies to the unions, and building welfare housing that never benefits the middle class, only the dregs of society.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:34 AM

912 posts, read 1,132,268 times
This thread is ridiculous. Did you know that the lowest year on record for major crime over the last three decades was 2010? Since then, major crimes has been slowly increasing, and guess what? Stop and Frisk was in effect, yet crime still increased. Stop and Frisk was useless and unconstitutional. NYC crime went down thanks to gentrification, not Stop and Frisk. It was a pattern occurring all over most of the country's major cities, NYC was not unique. Contrary to popular belief on this forum, just because the scary colored people were being frisked, didn't mean crime was being reduced. Statics proved that Stop and Frisk resulted in barely any arrests for major crimes over the years.

One of the few major crimes that continued to decrease past 2010 is murder. YTD, the murder rate is down 13% from last year at this time and 26% from 2012. Nothing DeBlaiso did has contributed to the decrease, it's just the continuation of a trend already in place. However, to suggest crime is now suddenly a lot worse under DeBlaiso is incredibly misinformed, ridiculous, and stupid.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:37 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
This thread is ridiculous. Did you know that the lowest year on record for major crime over the last three decades was 2010? Since then, major crimes has been slowly increasing, and guess what? Stop and Frisk was in effect, yet crime still increased. Stop and Frisk was useless and unconstitutional. NYC crime went down thanks to gentrification, not Stop and Frisk. It was a pattern occurring all over the countries major cities, NYC was not unique. Contrary to popular belief on this forum, Just because the scary colored people were being frisked, didn't mean crime was being reduced. Statics proved that Stop and Frisk resulted in barely any arrested for major crimes over the years.

One of the few major crimes that continued to decrease past 2010 is murder. YTD, the murder rate is down 13% from last year and 26% from 2012. Nothing DeBlaiso did has contributed to the decrease, it's just the continuation of a trend already in place. However, to suggest crime is now suddenly a lot worse under DeBlaiso is incredibly misinformed, ridiculous, and stupid.
Every couple of months we have a new breed of zealots. Back when it was cold we had the "what city is better than NYC" religious group ringing our doorbells and handing out pamphlets. Now we have "the whole city is Brownsville because of DeBlasio" religion. Can I get an Amen

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-27-2014, 11:20 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
The country would be a scary place if/when this happens. But it will be scarier in areas where people are hungry, their kids are hungry, and most importantly they are literally living on top of each other. If you don't comprehend what kind of savages people are who live like we do, then you soon would in this situation. Out in rural areas, things would obviously be bad too, but there would not be such pronounced violence amongst your fellow man, because you're not living in such rat trap like conditions. There are deer and fish out in the boonies to kill. If/when this happens, people will begin dispering from the cities due to such limited resources being available, on top of the violence epidemic on the streets.

Like I said, I'm not saying this will necessarily happen in any of our lifetimes. But who knows. I was simply taking issue with "crime will never be as bad as the 80's again". I'm suggesting that it will be far worse one day.
People in rural areas survive by buying their food in the grocery store. I've lived in my share of rural areas.

People in rural areas still need medical supplies, mind you, with a true financial collapse there goes medical care. Half starved people get sick at much higher rates.

The scenario you project would end up with the deaths of the majority of the people in rural areas.

Hunting in rural areas is done as a hobby. Nobody survives off hunting or fishing these days. There are too many people (300 million) in the US for this to be sustainable. Farming takes a massive investment in land, capital equipment, seeds, other plant stock, and livestock among other supplies like fertilizers, antibiotics, etc.

But yes, in a place like NYC it'd be clear the majority would be dead in a couple of weeks.

People who have never farmed (including the majority of people in rural areas in the 21st century) or not going to become sufficient farmers or hunters in the time frame needed to save them. Less than 2% of the country farms today.If what you're projecting happens, you'd likely have 1% or less of the population surviving.

You seem to crave a return to the pre industrial days. Well, case in point, my great great grandmother in those days had 14 children. Six made it to adulthood (the others died) and she died after having twins in her late 40s. You yourself likely wouldn't survive the conditions you fantasize about. So really no need to worry about all that, because if it truly happens that's the end.

But back to the real world, economic collapses happen all the time. Periodically. Economies and governments recover. Fearmongers have been spreading the end of the world for centuries, so nothing is new there.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Every couple of months we have a new breed of zealots. Back when it was cold we had the "what city is better than NYC" religious group ringing our doorbells and handing out pamphlets. Now we have "the whole city is Brownsville because of DeBlasio" religion. Can I get an Amen
Amen.

The crime rate (particularly in bad neighborhoods) ALWAYS goes up each summer, and this was a particularly cold winter. The summer plus the upswing in heroin would have meant a rise in crime no matter who the mayor is or was. But this is a periodic thing, not the beginning of the end.

Crime will always rise and ebb in any big city, and different drugs boom and bust.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
People in rural areas survive by buying their food in the grocery store. I've lived in my share of rural areas.

People in rural areas still need medical supplies, mind you, with a true financial collapse there goes medical care. Half starved people get sick at much higher rates.

The scenario you project would end up with the deaths of the majority of the people in rural areas.

Hunting in rural areas is done as a hobby. Nobody survives off hunting or fishing these days. There are too many people (300 million) in the US for this to be sustainable. Farming takes a massive investment in land, capital equipment, seeds, other plant stock, and livestock among other supplies like fertilizers, antibiotics, etc.

But yes, in a place like NYC it'd be clear the majority would be dead in a couple of weeks.

People who have never farmed (including the majority of people in rural areas in the 21st century) or not going to become sufficient farmers or hunters in the time frame needed to save them. Less than 2% of the country farms today.If what you're projecting happens, you'd likely have 1% or less of the population surviving.

You seem to crave a return to the pre industrial days. Well, case in point, my great great grandmother in those days had 14 children. Six made it to adulthood (the others died) and she died after having twins in her late 40s. You yourself likely wouldn't survive the conditions you fantasize about. So really no need to worry about all that, because if it truly happens that's the end.

But back to the real world, economic collapses happen all the time. Periodically. Economies and governments recover. Fearmongers have been spreading the end of the world for centuries, so nothing is new there.

I don't "crave" or "fantasize" about anything (aside from certain broads I see), never mind pre industrial days. I am simply looking at the tinder box that is this city when I make these comments in this vain. I look at reality. And the reality is that people out in the boonies do indeed know how to hunt and fish much more so than your average pampered guy in the city. And this includes people in many suburban neighborhoods as well, even upstate NY. You're a bit misguided on that one. I know a little, but would love to know more. Yes, you're correct in saying that I personally would be in some trouble when the big collapse happens, living around here as I do. That's my whole point in thinking like this. No fantasizing, guy. I don't wish doom and death on humanity, and am not a suicidal person. I only care to have my eyes open. I don't drink this "cities are more sustainable" koolaid...

Old 05-27-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
I don't "crave" or "fantasize" about anything (aside from certain broads I see), never mind pre industrial days. I am simply looking at the tinder box that is this city when I make these comments in this vain. I look at reality. And the reality is that people out in the boonies do indeed know how to hunt and fish much more so than your average pampered guy in the city. And this includes people in many suburban neighborhoods as well, even upstate NY. You're a bit misguided on that one. I know a little, but would love to know more. Yes, you're correct in saying that I personally would be in some trouble when the big collapse happens, living around here as I do. That's my whole point in thinking like this. No fantasizing, guy. I don't wish doom and death on humanity, and am not a suicidal person. I only care to have my eyes open. I don't drink this "cities are more sustainable" koolaid...
I spent half my life in rural areas and that includes upstate NY. No one is fed primarily through hunting and fishing. The vast majority of their food comes from the GROCERY STORE. Hunting is more of a HOBBY for those that hunt.

Of course, once they're half starved and sick and dying, the hunters wouldn't be able to hunt. Crows and coyotes would have a party, and if it's the Southern states so would the vultures. Eagles sometimes eat carrion too (ditto bears and some other predators). But with that said, your own words said it best. Your wishing for doom and gloom. You're wanting the end to occur.

Even farmers go to grocery store as the average farmer makes a living by dealing with only certain animals or certain crops. No one is food self sufficient in this country and that includes FARMERS themselves. This is the 21st century.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
I spent half my life in rural areas and that includes upstate NY. No one is fed primarily through hunting and fishing. The vast majority of their food comes from the GROCERY STORE. Hunting is more of a HOBBY for those that hunt.

Of course, once they're half starved and sick and dying, the hunters wouldn't be able to hunt. Crows and coyotes would have a party, and if it's the Southern states so would the vultures. Eagles sometimes eat carrion too (ditto bears and some other predators). But with that said, your own words said it best. Your wishing for doom and gloom. You're wanting the end to occur.

Even farmers go to grocery store as the average farmer makes a living by dealing with only certain animals or certain crops. No one is food self sufficient in this country and that includes FARMERS themselves. This is the 21st century.
Holy hell, mr. straw man. I never said that everybody in the boonies is fed through hunting and fishing. I said that these folk have a much much better working knowledge of how to do so if necessary. Please don't put words in my mouth. You're encroaching onto sobroguy territory with that.

Quote:
Your wishing for doom and gloom. You're wanting the end to occur.

It's "you're" not "your". I only grammar nazi it up to you on these forums cause of your name.

And I am not "wishing doom and gloom" or "wanting the end to occur". This is you, once again putting your own contrarian spin on everybody's posts, because it is what you like to do. I've explained why I make those comments at times. Buy this is how you roll, and I should know that by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City