Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 09:56 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,216,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Yeah, it's a bit of a shock when you see them all together like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb4tQl9bIuI

Are they protesting the idea of getting a tan?

Old 05-26-2014, 10:05 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
It bothers me bc there is no way these people assimilate into American society. Yes, in America we are all different and embrace those differences. But we must also work together as a community. Living like that shows zero chance of that happening. Why come if you want nothing to do with where you are coming to?
It's true they don't assimilate to the rest of society, but in fact it seems like a lot of these people were actually born here. Perhaps not so much the fundamentalist Muslims who are probably mostly immigrants, but the US does have American-born Mennonites, Hasidics, FLDS Mormons, etc. and probably dozens of other cult-like Christian fundamentalist sects that operate under the radar in places out West.

In NYC, I would say that the largest group that sets themselves apart like this are probably US-born Hasidic Jews.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:37 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,387,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
There were many Muslim victims of the 911 attack. Opposition to them attending is bigotry pure and simple.
Yeah we must not forget that the terrorist Muslim pilots also died when they aimed straight for the buildings with a plane half full of women and children. You're right they should be welcome.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post
Yeah we must not forget that the terrorist Muslim pilots also died when they aimed straight for the buildings with a plane half full of women and children. You're right they should be welcome.
Well, since those terrorist Muslim pilots are dead, I guess we don't need to worry about them visiting the memorial.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:03 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Agreed. I truly jumped at the sight of orthodox jews in a group when I first came to Brooklyn fully unprepaired...

i felt time travelling 300+ years back and had to pinch myself hard to wake up...
Then maybe you realized they did not force you to wear the same clothing and adjusted. Did they insult you or were they minding their own business?

Old 05-26-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
There were also many Muslims among the 3,000+ killed in the World Trade Center offices. Should white males not be allowed at the OKC bombing memorial because a white male named Tim McVeigh was the terrorist in that incident? That is what I thought. We must apply the same principles.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Then maybe you realized they did not force you to wear the same clothing and adjusted. Did they insult you or were they minding their own business?
Why are you trying to tell him what he should have felt when he saw them? Have you ever visited Hasidic areas of Brooklyn? Are you minding your own business or are you trying to tell people how to feel?

Old 05-26-2014, 01:28 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,387,243 times
Quote:
Well, since those terrorist Muslim pilots are dead, I guess we don't need to worry about them visiting the memorial.
True. The only thing we need to worry about is the terrorist cells hidden within the group of Muslims. You want to mix Muslims with the people who lost their loved ones at a memorial dedicated to 9/11?

You're tangling emotions together on a very sensitive subject related to the city of New York. Eventually there is going to be a conflict at the memorial. The actions of those who purposely set out to destroy on that day do not justify forgiveness or forgetfulness. They are an enemy who are dangerous, possess a deep hatred for America, and will kill at the drop of a hat.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
True. The only thing we need to worry about is the terrorist cells hidden within the group of Muslims. You want to mix Muslims with the people who lost their loved ones at a memorial dedicated to 9/11?

You're tangling emotions together on a very sensitive subject related to the city of New York. Eventually there is going to be a conflict at the memorial. The actions of those who purposely set out to destroy on that day do not justify forgiveness or forgetfulness. They are an enemy who are dangerous, possess a deep hatred for America, and will kill at the drop of a hat.
I doubt too many visiting the 911 Memorial are there to forget anything! They are there precisely because we should never forget. Hopefully that won't offend Henna again, but I could really care less. This is my view and I will express it.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Why are you trying to tell him what he should have felt when he saw them? Have you ever visited Hasidic areas of Brooklyn? Are you minding your own business or are you trying to tell people how to feel?
City data topics are quite the opposite of everyone minding their own business from a verbal perspective. If they did not want our opinion, they were not forced to share the experience. I get comments like that from time to time. I merely asked a question to which they can answer yes, no, or decline to answer. No one was being disrespected at all. Please read it again. You are reading something that is not there. You are guilty of what is called fake outrage. I read comments every day on city data that are far more hostile and provocative. LOL!

It was a perfectly valid question. Furthermore, I would rather see Hasidics (even though they may not be my cup of tea either) than threatening gangster types that might actually do someone harm. When a person chooses to live in a big city, they will see all types. I guess their being surprised at that surprised me a little. I had the audacity to express my view like everyone else.

Please save your outrage for comments that are truly offensive. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: