Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 07:53 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,912,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusHsu View Post
I google street viewed East Orange. It looks middle class.
You may have just came across a decent enclave. Every town has it's good and it's bad.

Here's a screenshot of a nice area of Hempstead NY, which is one of the poorest towns on Long Island. There are several areas of the town that look like this:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7107...nhiic1rPeQ!2e0

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 05-28-2014 at 08:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 08:37 PM

31,959 posts, read 27,083,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngusHsu View Post
What is the wealthiest neighborhood in NYC city proper? Poorest neighborhood in NYC is South Bronx?

What is the wealthiest area of suburban NYC, Briarcliff Manor? Poorest suburb?
With a little bit of research you'll find someone has already done this work for you: The Most EXPENSIVE Zip Codes In New York (PHOTOS)

and: http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/million_zips/

Old 05-28-2014, 09:15 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,138,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
haha lmao

If we included Monmouth County NJ as part of the Tri state, Asbury Park, NJ is the poorest NYC suburb
Assuming that you're excluding actual cities like Newark, Paterson, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Wealthiest parts of NYC:
- Forest Hills of Queens
- Belle Harbor/Rockaway Park of Queens

Poorest parts of NYC:
- Port Richmond/New Brighton on Staten Island
- Washington Heights/Inwood of Upper Manhattan
I don't think Forest Hills could realistically be counted as "wealthy" (Forest Hills Gardens on the other hand...), and Rockaway Park definitely isn't wealthy. (Even Belle Harbor would be a stretch to actually call "wealthy").

You might want to add Todt Hill, Staten Island to the "wealthiest parts of NYC" list.

Just so you know, Port Richmond & New Brighton aren't next to each other (and both have enough middle-class sections to prevent them from being qualified as the poorest areas in the city). The poorest neighborhood on Staten Island is Stapleton.

East Harlem is the poorest neighborhood in Manhattan, not Washington Heights/Inwood, which are more working-class, with some middle-class sections.

Surprised nobody mentioned Coney Island (though similar to Brownsville, it does have a lot of townhouses to balance out the projects, income-wise).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
Brownsville is the poorest neighborhood of NYC, though East New York, Ocean Hill, East Flatbush and a bunch of Bronx neighborhoods come close.
The poorest neighborhood in the city is actually Morrisania. Brownsville actually has a lot of townhouses in addition to the housing projects, whereas Morrisania has more apartment buildings.

And no way is East Flatbush even close to being one of the poorest neighborhoods. The median income, according to city-data is about $47,000. I can't think of any projects in the neighborhood offhand (the closest would be Flatbush Gardens/Vanderveer). It's mostly low-rise housing (townhouses & detached houses), and is a middle-class area (maybe working class in some sections).

Old 05-28-2014, 11:16 PM

460 posts, read 982,945 times
By suburb, I actually wanted to say any area outside of NYC proper. Newark or Paterson count as a "suburb."

I wonder what kind people live in Forest Hill Gardens. Ethnically diverse at all? I like how it looks on Google street view.

Isn't Park Slope or Prospect Heights relatively affluent in Brooklyn? I have been there before.

Old 05-29-2014, 04:55 AM

43,743 posts, read 44,505,107 times
As said I too think Forest Hills Gardens rather than Forest Hills is probably one of the wealthiest neighborhoods within NYC.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:20 AM

9,249 posts, read 24,100,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post

The poorest neighborhood in the city is actually Morrisania. Brownsville actually has a lot of townhouses in addition to the housing projects, whereas Morrisania has more apartment buildings.

I might have thought so too but according to various sources I checked the median household income in Morrisania is $20,000 but in Brownsville it is only $15,000. Big difference. So, if these numbers are correct, Brownsville definitely gets the prize……. unless someone comes up with a neighborhood where the median is less than 15.

Checked Mott Haven too by the way and it is $23,000.Highbridge is 26,University Heights is 27,East Tremont is 24 and Soundview is 39.

Most of the above info from our host,City Data.

Last edited by bluedog2; 05-29-2014 at 05:30 AM..

Old 05-29-2014, 05:32 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,912,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I might have thought so too but according to various sources I checked the median household income in Morrisania is $20,000 but in Brownsville it is only $15,000. Big difference. So, if these numbers are correct, Brownsville definitely gets the prize……. unless someone comes up with a neighborhood where the median is less than 15.

Checked Mott Haven too by the way and it is $23,000.Highbridge is 26,University Heights is 27,East Tremont is 24 and Soundview is 39.

Most of the above info from our host,City Data.
Per capita income is a better measure of affluence.

Household sizes could easily skew median household incomes.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:36 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,062,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
It's not. East Orange is quite dire. Looks may be deceiving as East Orange was very wealthy about 50-60 years ago, so it has a lot of mansions and large houses that are mostly falling into ruin. Nearby Irvington, NJ is more impoverished, though. Spring Valley, NY is also arguable. Newburgh, NY could count, too, though it's beyond the edge of what I'd consider a suburb. Obviously excluding Newark, Passaic, Paterson, Elizabeth, etc., as those are cities in their own right.

Brownsville is the poorest neighborhood of NYC, though East New York, Ocean Hill, East Flatbush and a bunch of Bronx neighborhoods come close.
Brownsville is NOT the poorest neighborhood in NYC. They're actually several Bronx neighborhoods poorer than Brownsville.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Per capita income is a better measure of affluence.

Household sizes could easily skew median household incomes.
Then why does every source seem use median household income when measuring wealth or poverty?

Also,seriously doubt whether using per capita in this instance would change the order. The difference between 15,000 and 20,000 is actually huge on a percentage basis so unless you are going to argue that for some reason the household size in Morrisania is considerably higher than what it is in Brownsville I don't see it even mattering here.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Brownsville is NOT the poorest neighborhood in NYC. They're actually several Bronx neighborhoods poorer than Brownsville.
No,there aren't SuperMario.If you think there are please provide sources with info.I checked all of what I thought might be the poorest neighborhoods in The Bx and and none of them had a median income nearly as low as Brownsville.

The difference is startling.Not only is Brownsville the lowest at $15,000,I couldn't find another neighborhood with less than $20,000 including ENY and Morrisania and all the other South Bronx neighborhoods.The difference between $15,000 and $20,000 is about 35% !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City