Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 05:50 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,687,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Wealthiest parts of NYC:
- **Almost all of Manhattan south of 110th street
- Malba of Queens
- Riverdale/Fieldston of the Bronx
- Forest Hills of Queens
- Jamaica Estates of Queens
- Douglaston of Queens
- Belle Harbor/Rockaway Park of Queens

Poorest parts of NYC:
- South Bronx (Mott Haven, Morrisania, Hunts Point, Tremont, Port Morris)
- Brownsville/East New York of Brooklyn
- Far Rockaway of Queens
- Port Richmond/New Brighton on Staten Island
- Washington Heights/Inwood of Upper Manhattan

Wealthiest suburbs of NYC:
- North Shore/Gold Coast of Long Island (Old Westbury, Brookville, Manhasset, Sands Point, Lloyd Harbor, Kings Point, Muttontown, Roslyn, East Hills, etc)
- Southwestern Connecticut areas like Greenwich, New Canaan, Darien, Wilton
- Short Hills/Milburn, NJ
- Scarsdale, NY of Westchester County
- Englewood Cliffs/Alpine, NJ
- Briarcliff Manor of Westchester County
- Larchmont of Westchester County

Poorest suburbs of NYC:
- Newark/Irvington/East Orange, NJ
- Elizabeth, NJ
- Paterson, NJ
- Newburgh of Upstate NY
- Bridgeport, CT
- Communipaw/Bergen-Lafayette/Greenville of Jersey City, NJ
- Asbury Park, NJ
- New Haven, CT

Notes:
* Staten Island has the highest median household income of the 5 boroughs, but is more consistently middle class/upper middle class than "rich".
* Manhattan has the highest per capita income.
* Bronx has the lowest median household income and lowest per capita income of the 5 boroughs.
* Many of the poorer suburbs are technically "satellite cities".
* Don't get "income" confused with "wealth".
That's a pretty good list. A couple of areas I disagree. I would not have Washington Heights or Inwood on that list of poorest areas. (West of Broadway) in the Heights never bottomed out like the rest of the area. Inwood is actually seen a rebirth and is quite expensive these days.
Belle Harbor is not Neponsit but is pretty stout. I would not have Rockaway Park on the wealthy list. Douglaston especially near Marathon Pkwy is very expensive and exclusive. Beechurst very wealthy?
Also I would add Todt Hill on the wealthy side.
I couldn't agree more with Far Rockaway. That is one very depressed area and dangerous. Often forgotten because it's outta sight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 05:55 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
No,there aren't SuperMario.If you think there are please provide sources with info.I checked all of what I thought might be the poorest neighborhoods in The Bx and and none of them had a median income nearly as low as Brownsville.

The difference is startling.Not only is Brownsville the lowest at $15,000,I couldn't find another neighborhood with less than $20,000 including ENY and Morrisania and all the other South Bronx neighborhoods.The difference between $15,000 and $20,000 is about 35% !
You're looking at Median Household Income on City Data right?

Well it shows me Brownsville at 31,000 and East Tremont at 27,000.

That's just one. Tell me what you're looking.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:01 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
You're looking at Median Household Income on City Data right?

Well it shows me Brownsville at 31,000 and East Tremont at 27,000.

That's just one. Tell me what you're looking.
OK,I agree .Now I don't know whether to trust any of the info. I got my original Brownsville info from Wiki,which says 15.Brownsville, Brooklyn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I googled various neighborhoods and just picked the first one that popped up.

Have no idea how there could be such a big discrepancy ….. it's a 100% discrepancy.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:13 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
OK,I agree .Now I don't know whether to trust any of the info. I got my original Brownsville info from Wiki,which says 15.Brownsville, Brooklyn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I googled various neighborhoods and just picked the first one that popped up.

Have no idea how there could be such a big discrepancy ….. it's a 100% discrepancy.
Yeah dude, Brownsville ($31,252) has a higher income than:

Morrisania -$20,223
Claremont - $21,635
Mott Haven- $23,431
Hunts Point- $24,062
East Tremont - $24,724
Morris Heights - $25,666
Highbridge - $26,229

etc etc

In fact East NY and Browsville would be considered Middle Class in the BX compared to some of these other hoods.

Why is Brownsville/East NY income so much higher than the Bronx? Probably because there are less renters and more ownership of homes.

But to answer the question OP, to find the poorest places in NYC, you need to look at just one place, the South Bronx...nothing comes close.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:14 AM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Wealthiest parts of NYC:
- **Almost all of Manhattan south of 110th street
- Malba of Queens
- Riverdale/Fieldston of the Bronx
- Forest Hills of Queens
- Jamaica Estates of Queens
- Douglaston of Queens
- Belle Harbor/Rockaway Park of Queens

Poorest parts of NYC:
- South Bronx (Mott Haven, Morrisania, Hunts Point, Tremont, Port Morris)
- Brownsville/East New York of Brooklyn
- Far Rockaway of Queens
- Port Richmond/New Brighton on Staten Island
- Washington Heights/Inwood of Upper Manhattan

Wealthiest suburbs of NYC:
- North Shore/Gold Coast of Long Island (Old Westbury, Brookville, Manhasset, Sands Point, Lloyd Harbor, Kings Point, Muttontown, Roslyn, East Hills, etc)
- Southwestern Connecticut areas like Greenwich, New Canaan, Darien, Wilton
- Short Hills/Milburn, NJ
- Scarsdale, NY of Westchester County
- Englewood Cliffs/Alpine, NJ
- Briarcliff Manor of Westchester County
- Larchmont of Westchester County

Poorest suburbs of NYC:
- Newark/Irvington/East Orange, NJ
- Elizabeth, NJ
- Paterson, NJ
- Newburgh of Upstate NY
- Bridgeport, CT
- Communipaw/Bergen-Lafayette/Greenville of Jersey City, NJ
- Asbury Park, NJ
- New Haven, CT

Notes:
* Staten Island has the highest median household income of the 5 boroughs, but is more consistently middle class/upper middle class than "rich".
* Manhattan has the highest per capita income.
* Bronx has the lowest median household income and lowest per capita income of the 5 boroughs.
* Many of the poorer suburbs are technically "satellite cities".
* Don't get "income" confused with "wealth".
Don't get crime confused with poverty!
Far Rockaway zip code 11691 had an average median income in 2011 of $51,525 as per....wait for it.....City-Data!
Arverne zip code 11692 - their average was $45,635

This thread is going to catch a lot of people with verbal diarrhea.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-29-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
I couldn't agree more with Far Rockaway. That is one very depressed area and dangerous. Often forgotten because it's outta sight.
You already showed your proficiency for verbal diarrhea on the tourist thread - so I'll throw this your way too:

Far Rockaway zip code 11691 had an average median income in 2011 of $51,525 as per....wait for it.....City-Data!

All my man asked for what was the richest and poorest neighborhoods in NYC and the suburbs. Strictly money question. Now you gonna get all types of posters, talking about crack, heroin, my friend got robbed out there once for his Beats headphones, blah blah blah

Old 05-29-2014, 10:33 AM

460 posts, read 981,768 times
Quote:

Morrisania -$20,223
Claremont - $21,635
Mott Haven- $23,431
Hunts Point- $24,062
East Tremont - $24,724
Morris Heights - $25,666
Highbridge - $26,229

etc etc

In fact East NY and Browsville would be considered Middle Class in the BX compared to some of these other hoods.

Why is Brownsville/East NY income so much higher than the Bronx? It's median household income of $21K in Morrisania? Probably because there are less renters and more ownership of homes.

But to answer the question OP, to find the poorest places in NYC, you need to look at just one place, the South Bronx...nothing comes close.
What is the history behind South Bronx and how did it get so bad? It has something to do with Jewish flight after WWII and the Bronx Expressway. Bronx otherwise is not that bad of an area to the north and west. My BFF lived in Morris Park for Yeshiva Medical.

I read a book about teenagers growing up in Tremont, called "Random Family" from 2003. Abject poverty.

In general, the worst areas do not look that bad on Google street view. But I do recall visiting the Bronx Zoo in 2007 and the area was awful with dirty sidewalks. Highly recommend visiting the Bronx Zoo despite the vicinity.

Last edited by AngusHsu; 05-29-2014 at 11:03 AM..

Old 05-29-2014, 10:33 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,857,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You already showed your proficiency for verbal diarrhea on the tourist thread - so I'll throw this your way too:

All my man asked for what was the richest and poorest neighborhoods in NYC and the suburbs. Strictly money question. Now you gonna get all types of posters, talking about crack, heroin, my friend got robbed out there once for his Beats headphones, blah blah blah
Do you have any NYCHA housing or other subsidized housing in those zps 11691 or 11692? If so that means the median incomes of families living in homes, apts, condos, and coops is higher than that median by quite a bit. The subsidized housing incomes will bring down the overall median incomes.

I think that is the case with Morrisania since there is still quite a bit of home ownership in the area.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:36 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,857,739 times
Quote:

Morrisania -$20,223
Claremont - $21,635
Mott Haven- $23,431
Hunts Point- $24,062
East Tremont - $24,724
Morris Heights - $25,666
Highbridge - $26,229

etc etc

Why is Brownsville/East NY income so much higher than the Bronx? Probably because there are less renters and more ownership of homes.

In these neighborhoods there is also quite a bit of home ownership but they tend to rent to those with section 8 vouchers.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Do you have any NYCHA housing or other subsidized housing in those zps 11691 or 11692? If so that means the median incomes of families living in homes, apts, condos, and coops is higher than that median by quite a bit. The subsidized housing incomes will bring down the overall median incomes.

I think that is the case with Morrisania since there is still quite a bit of home ownership in the area.
Yeah of course we got NYCHA....5 developments in 2 zip codes, Edgemere is in both 11691 and 11692

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City